aacpmas 2016/2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't seem to find anything online... When sending transcripts, is there a way to do it rather than taking the transcript request form personally to each school? Like can I just request the transcripts online and put my AACPM ID # in the address or something? Sorry if this is a dumb question..
Not a dumb question. Every school is different and from what I know about my school, they had a way to request for an official transcript to be sent to AACPMAS online. Once I requested for an official copy, I put in the AACPMAS address and it was acknowledged about a week later. I would ask school records if you cannot find what you're looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to order transcript requests through your school's website (Registrar's office). Once you finish the order, you can either mail/fax/or attach the transcript cover page from AACPMAS to the transcript order. The cover page has your AACPM ID #, along with the address.
One thing I would like to add is that it has to be directly from the school to be "official". I couldn't send an official on their behalf.

Awesome, thanks! One more question- if I took a couple May mini-mesters, are those counted as "Summer 1" or "Interim?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any point in me submitting my app yet?

3.82 oGPA, 3.84 sGPA
Tons of work and volunteer experience
Have shadowed a pod but need to again as still need LOR from one.. But do have professor LOR's

No MCAT yet. Planning on Jan...

Schools I'm interested in: (in order)
DMU
MW
Scholl
Kent
New York

Any point in submitting app yet? Any chance of getting interviews?

Or wait until closer to MCAT date... No conditional acceptances is there?

Thanks guys and congrats to you all getting interviews!!

Last edited:

3.82 oGPA, 3.84 sGPA
Have shadowed a pod but need to again as still need LOR from one.. But do have professor LOR's

DMU
MW
Scholl
Kent
New York

Well your GPA & EC are strong, but the MCAT is a required piece of information that the schools need to have in order to accept. Your scores won't be in until February, and while there may be spots open, it all depends on if they're at the schools you prefer. You can take a chance now and possibly go somewhere else, or apply next year when more spaces are available, and when you will have shadowed more.

Well your GPA & EC are strong, but the MCAT is a required piece of information that the schools need to have in order to accept. Your scores won't be in until February, and while there may be spots open, it all depends on if they're at the schools you prefer. You can take a chance now and possibly go somewhere else, or apply next year when more spaces are available, and when you will have shadowed more.

I'm not so much worried about getting In this year as I've done my research and seen people apply later and gotten in no issue...

More so.. If I apply now is there any chance at getting interviews without an MCAT score... And maybe even getting a conditional acceptance based on me scoring well?

I'm not so much worried about getting In this year as I've done my research and seen people apply later and gotten in no issue...

More so.. If I apply now is there any chance at getting interviews without an MCAT score... And maybe even getting a conditional acceptance based on me scoring well?
I would say the chances of that are good, but I'm not 100%! I'm sure you will be accepted, it's just if you apply later in the cycle there might not be spots open at your top choice schools. And if you applied now, 3-4 months is quite a long time to have a school wait for your scores, and they can't accept you without any MCAT scores. It's all up to you! Sorry if that isn't very helpful.

For NYCPM, your app will be on "hold" without an MCAT score. Thus, it will never reach the admissions committee, until receipt of the mcat score. You can apply now and state a date you would take the exam in Jan, but that's about it.

Hey guys, longtime lurker here who never really felt compelled to post as an applicant, but feel now as a first year who just started at NYCPM I can give you guys some good info. I see a lot of you guys are stressing out and getting impatient but you guys for the most part look to have some pretty solid stats and have ample time as the cycle just started. To give you a little background on me, I applied last year to DO schools and after only getting waitlisted from one school called up NYCPM in April to see if they had any spots open. They said yeah and so I copied and pasted my DO application from the AACOMAS into the AACPMAS and had to wait another 4 weeks and resend my transcripts and letters to the same damn place for the same verification because as the lady on the phone said, same building/company but we can't cross departments. So had my interview late May and got my acceptance first week of June. And one of the guys who also interviewed with me on the same day and now is a good friend also got accepted and there were people after us who got accepted later too. So basically for all you guys stressing about getting applications out ASAP and interviews, just chill. You guys are way ahead of the pack. Most of my classmates I asked got accepted after January, probably because our school has that January start option (which I highly recommend and will go into more detail below). The biggest advantage you guys have applying right now is with scholarship money as its a first come first serve basis. I got nothing but I'm not complaining considering how late I applied.

Now for some big insider info, our class for this year is the smallest class since 2005. Normally NYCPM has classes of 110. We have around 85 I think, 20 Januaries + 65 Sept starters. The dean told us during orientation that there was a major drop in applicants during the last cycle, 25% for NYCPM and 35% across all schools. Even though there was a decrease, they said that the still wanted to keep academic standards at a fairly high level and thus didn't cave in to filling the extra 25 spots to less that amazing applicants so thus the cut the class size instead of just filling the seats with scrubs who might have failed out in a year anyway. I believe she mentioned the average cGPA was 3.5 and sGPA 3.3 and MCAT 25. Whats that mean for you guys? Well its should be easier to get in if there is less competition, unless last years application cycle was just a one off anomaly. Most of you guys as is had the stats to fill those extra 25 spots if you had applied last year. Also a rumor one of my fellow classmates told me, NYCPM last year tried to keep spots open last year late into the cycle in an effort to catch MD/DO trickle down applicants like myself but this kinda backfired as they lost a lot of students to Temple. Not sure how legit that is but it would make sense as to why from reading this thread it seems like most of you guys heard back from NYCPM first regarding interviews. I think they really want to hit out of the gates hard early to get the best applicants before Temple at least in the North East.

As for the interview, I read on here that NYCPM had a fairly laidback interview when I was in your shoes. And on interview day when I showed up an hour early and they put me in the clinic to shadow current students they also said don't worry it's laidback. Well it wasn't. After talking to a few 2020 classmates, NYCPM seemed to have changed their interview tactics last year to a good cop bad cop style. The interviewers alternate week to week but in my case I had Dean Lee as the good cop and Dr. Haber as the bad cop. And boy did Dr. Haber grill me like and FBI integrator. I though I started off well but towards the end I thought in my opinion I had started crash and burning. The question he tripped me up the most on was "are you sure you want to be a physician?" And I of course said yes but he kept going more into detail and must have asked like 7 times are you really sure before I cracked and said "IDK, I guess?". Basically my advice to you guys interviewing at NY, don't cave like I did just keep saying confidently yes I'm sure and be prepared for them to really examine your undergrad grades and ask you if you're prepared to take for instance biochem or anatomy without taking it in undergrad already. And I know he was putting on an act because after the interview when I was waiting in the lobby he came up to me and started talking to me about surgery, something I mentioned I was very interested in the interview, and he had a completely different demeanor and was really nice and pleasant. Also at least for me, they really liked how the Podiatrist I got a LOR from was starting a residency on Long Island, so my advice is try to get a letter from shadowing a podiatrist who is a residency director as they really value DPMs who like to teach and educate who can vouch you would be a good student. Dr. Haber himself was a residency directory for a big surgery residency in New Jersey.

Now IDK if you guys are aware but our school has a January class. My advice, as was the same advice those students in the clinic on interview day told me, is if you can try for January instead of the conventional Aug start. 3 of my roommates here in the student housing (The Bridges), are "Jannies". Basically the way it works is instead of the typical 4 years its 4.5. You basically take less classes the first 2 years spread over more time but the tuition is the same. So instead of paying 15000 a semester you pay 10000 over 3 so it sill works out to be 30000. But you start of with 3 classes: bacteriology, gross anatomy, and infectious disease but by the time you get added in to the Aug class you are taking less classes as you already knocked 3 out so your workload is less and you have more time to study for other classes. The January class I think is capped at 30 so you end up forming a close knit group as evident with our 2020 Jannies. Only downside is you will have to pay an extra 8 months worth of rent and living expenses (keep in mind NYC is as expensive as it comes) but if thats not a problem for you it seems like a pretty sweet deal to ease you in to medical school and ease up your course load. And by your 3rd year you are back to being fully in sync and taking all the same classes at the same time as your Aug classmates.

Anyway I hope that was of some help to you guys and a few of you can relax a bit if a May applicant like me could get in. So far I really like he school and my fellow classmates. If I could describe how school is, its a long day with lectures from 9-4 with you then needing to study the rest of the day and you end up going to bed thinking "Damn I wish there were more hours in the day so I could get more studying in!" It's a lot of material thrown your way and at NYCPM we basically have a test every week sometimes 2. We're only in our second week and we already have a bacteriology test this Friday and a Biochem test next Thursday. So it's fast paced but at least here at NYCPM here's a real camaraderie among not just the 2020 class but with all he students where everyone is really trying to help each other so we can all succeed and become great doctors.

I only applied to NY so I can't help much with questions about other schools but feel free to hit me up with any questions you might ave about the application process, or LORs, clinical + shadowing expieiernce, or NYCPM in general like housing or the neigborhood of Harlem. Also if anyone from NY/Long Island is having trouble finding a DPM to shadow I can give you at least 4 (all different practices) in central Long Island who would be more than happy to have you shadow. Also I saw three interviewees during lunch today, including I think one of you guys posting here. I was tempted to come over and say hi but didn't want to awkwardly barge into your lunch with the designated student ambassadors but if any of you want to say hi, I am always have lunch in the cafeteria at 1pm M-Th and 12 on Friday so I'd be glad to say hello and give any tips or impressions. Anyway long post, now I need to go back to studying biochem and Bact :p

Reactions: 6 users
@El Barrio Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences thus far with NYCPM. I did apply for the Jan at NYCPM but, I believe because of my low and old (older than 3 years) MCAT score, I might have to re-take it in Jan (have yet to hear back from the school, and I'm also hoping for an empty seat once the score comes in feb). In either case, your story sure gives out a positive vibe. Good luck for your exams!

Reactions: 1 user

3.82 oGPA, 3.84 sGPA

DMU
MW
Scholl
Kent
New York

Your GPAs are insanely high.

You could have your pick at whichever profession you choose.

Is there a reason for podiatry specifically instead of MD/DO/DDS?

With that being said, even without an MCAT, I believe you will stand a high chance of getting interviews and acceptances. DMU, Scholl, NYCPM, and Kent all have large class sizes.

Even taking your MCAT in Jan and getting score back in Feb, I believe you'd still have a very very strong chance of acceptances.

Just want you to make sure you're doing it because you like podiatry more-so than other health professions. Because with your GPAs you have much more options to choose from. Don't do it just for the sake of getting on with your life on time. Does that make sense?

I know we don't need to send LOR's to AZ but if I want to does anyone know if they are on interfolio?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my NYCPM interview tomorrow and I just realized the confirmation email doesn't list a specific building to show up to; just the address of the college overall. Does anyone know from past experience where to go lol

how'd it go?

Reactions: 2 users
I got an email from NYCPM showing the receipt of my application, does anyone usually know how long it takes after this to hear anything back?

I got an email from NYCPM showing the receipt of my application, does anyone usually know how long it takes after this to hear anything back?
NYCPM is very quick. Maybe as soon as tomorrow, not more than a week.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

When does AACPMAS start verifying and finish verifying after they have all arrived??

Transcripts and complete app were verified within 24 hrs after submitting.

You should be more focused on your MCAT coming up 9/9 instead of this.

You are pretty early in the cycle and have decent stats. You also applied to all 9 schools.

Stop freaking out.

The following errors were detected:
The Application Service Information field you entered is not in the correct format. The first 10 positions must contain your 10-digit ID Number assigned by the particular application service. The next position must contain a dash (-) followed by the remaining variable information below the bar code on the application service's Transcript Request Form. Normally this remaining variable information consists of 4 to 6 digits followed by a dash (-) followed by a letter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

what do I do? I entered my 10-digit CAS ID. What transcript request form and barcode is it talking about?

PROBLEM SOLVED! I didn't see an option to delete this post otherwise I would have

Last edited:
can you have your college electronically send your transcripts? Also, for repeated courses, I don't mark the course as repeated if taken at another college correct?
I have sent my letter of recs through general mail in envelopes. This was maybe a week ago. Do schools confirm they got it or do they just keep it on file? I haven't submitted my application yet because I still have to retake the MCAT for a better score, so hopefully it is okay if I sent my letters of rec before everything and they dont disregard it because because no application is submitted.

I have sent my letter of recs through general mail in envelopes. This was maybe a week ago. Do schools confirm they got it or do they just keep it on file? I haven't submitted my application yet because I still have to retake the MCAT for a better score, so hopefully it is okay if I sent my letters of rec before everything and they dont disregard it because because no application is submitted.

Question was asked previously.

If I remember, they generally hold on to it, but it'd be safer to have a copy on file in case they lose it.

When/where do you see your calculated GPA from AACPMAS?

I'll be sending them three xcripts from three different institutions. First two have been sent already and should be received and processed in about 2 weeks. Will it show me what my grades look like so far with those two xcripts and then factor in the third when it's sent? Or will it wait until ALL three have been sent before showing me what my numbers look like?

I'll really like to know what it looks like so far factoring in all my repeats, etc for the first two.

When/where do you see your calculated GPA from AACPMAS?

I'll be sending them three xcripts from three different institutions. First two have been sent already and should be received and processed in about 2 weeks. Will it show me what my grades look like so far with those two xcripts and then factor in the third when it's sent? Or will it wait until ALL three have been sent before showing me what my numbers look like?

I'll really like to know what it looks like so far factoring in all my repeats, etc for the first two.
Unfortunately, you will not be able to see your grades until all transcripts are in and verified. After that, you go to Check Status, click on any program, and there should be a Download PDF. You can view this before being verified, but grades will not be factored on this until everything is verified.

The schools need students just as much as the students need the schools. So they'll be trying to impress you just like you're trying to impress them. Overall, interviews are pretty fun and can give a lot of perspective. Even though I was pretty sure I knew which school I wanted to go to, if I could go back in time I would like to have interviewed at a couple more schools just to have a better idea of the education and training students at the other schools are getting. Ultimately, I did interview at three, and I'm glad I did.

When will it be my turn.....? :cryi:

Got rejected by Temple and they didn't even have my retake MCAT score. oGPA 3.43 sGPA 3.34. Plenty of EC's and Anatomy Teaching assistant. I applied to all 9, am I screwed?

Got rejected by Temple and they didn't even have my retake MCAT score. oGPA 3.43 sGPA 3.34. Plenty of EC's and Anatomy Teaching assistant. I applied to all 9, am I screwed?
That's kinda surprising. But they have cutoffs on one or two of the sections of the MCAT, so if for instance your verbal was below a certain threshold then they'll reject your app. If you contact admissions they'll tell you exactly why you were rejected.

You're not screwed. Most schools don't have cutoffs for any sections of the MCAT, but I think in the past Temple has just been picky about verbal and maybe one other section.

Reactions: 1 users
SOS i'm looking at the online app and I realize my phone number is one number off! I corrected it and hit the "update" button but do you guys think I should email schools? I already had an interview and i'm worried they won't be able to contact me

SOS i'm looking at the online app and I realize my phone number is one number off! I corrected it and hit the "update" button but do you guys think I should email schools? I already had an interview and i'm worried they won't be able to contact me
For the most part, they email you interview invites. You can definitely contact admissions though and updated them.

do they email acceptances? I interviewed at NYCPM recently so hearing back from them is my main concern
School dependent. Not sure about NYCPM. I received acceptance emails from Western and Temple. AZpod doesn't inform you at all. You have to just keep checking your online account that you set up with them. Same for interviews from AZpod I think. Western followed up at a later date with a phone call.

If I were you I would just call NYCPM admissions.

I had called TUSPM about a week after my interview just to see when they would send out acceptances and they told me right over the phone that I was accepted and I would get the official email in a day or so. So if you call, you may even get a nice surprise like that.

School dependent. Not sure about NYCPM. I received acceptance emails from Western and Temple. AZpod doesn't inform you at all. You have to just keep checking your online account that you set up with them. Same for interviews from AZpod I think. Western followed up at a later date with a phone call.

For Azpod, i didn't get an e-mail notifying me of an interview invite but when i logged back onto my online account it is asking me to choose a date for an interview... so did I get an invite, lol. So confused.

For Azpod, i didn't get an e-mail notifying me of an interview invite but when i logged back onto my online account it is asking me to choose a date for an interview... so did I get an invite, lol. So confused.
Yes, you're in. Just set up your interview date. That's how you'll find your acceptance too if you get one. Just keep checking the online account.

Good luck to everybody on their interviews! I bet you're all killing them :) I'm sure everybody would appreciate it if y'all would continue to share your experiences. Of course not the specific questions you were asked but just your general experience, the vibe, how you liked the school when you visited, etc. I finally have all of my materials together and I am about to submit my app! So nervous.

What Bob said. This isn't normal.

Your GPAs are higher than mine and I got plenty of interview invites.

I promise you at least 2-3 of the 9 will send you an invite.

What was your MCAT retake? Your GPAs and ECs are well into average matriculant ranges.

do they email acceptances? I interviewed at NYCPM recently so hearing back from them is my main concern

For me they called within a week giving me the good news. But I applied late in the cycle so the turn around was much quicker from what I remember they told me during the interview. Normally I think it takes a month for them to decide. But should be a phone call not an email.

I sent my MCAT scores but didn't get a confirmation email that they were sent. Is this normal? I found out my score a few days ago so do i need to update anything as well?