AACPMAS 2017/2018 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted to Temple. The pair of socks they gave me at the interview sealed the deal. I'll be moving back to Philadelphia.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Saw on FB that Scholl had 100 percent match rate this year. Pretty good considering the class size. I’m happy

Edit: also between the other 8 schools there were 30 unmatched for this year. So that’s roughly 95ish percent match rate between all the schools. So I guess the residency worry is basically nonexistent. If anyone was wondering or worried

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree. My enthusiasm for a school is directly proportional to the amount of swag they bestowe on me.

Accepted to Temple. The pair of socks they gave me at the interview sealed the deal. I'll be moving back to Philadelphia.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read the Podiatry handbook.

Barry has an AVERAGE MCAT score of 489 for the 2016-2017 cycle? And they let someone with a 476 in? Isn’t that like the 2nd percentile? How do they still keep their accreditation?

Barry has an AVERAGE MCAT score of 489 for the 2016-2017 cycle? And they let someone with a 476 in? Isn’t that like the 2nd percentile? How do they still keep their accreditation?
Is accreditation based on incoming students data or other factors?

I think it’s based on board pass rate and residency placement, both of which I’m pretty sure is really low too

Is accreditation based on incoming students data or other factors?

Where is the podiatry handbook you speak of? If you could link me to that specific one that would be awesome.

Geez man. That makes the entire profession look bad lol. It just reiterates the stigma that podiatry students/podiatrists are "not as smart" as other fields. Tell them to have some self respect and stop dragging us down with them. haha

Getting in the easy part, making it out is another story. Barry has a high attrition rate so a fraction makes it to 3rd year.

You can say that about relationships/marriage as well, but you at least want some standards lol.

Barry is like the chick who keeps dating low quality dudes and is confused after it doesn’t work out. Eventually, your friends lose respect for you. “I just don’t know why all my students fail out”

Getting in the easy part, making it out is another story. Barry has a high attrition rate so a fraction makes it to 3rd year.

Is there a newer handbook than this one?

http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf

I couldn't find anything newer than that and it has an average MCAT of 25 for Barry. I'm not challenging you, I just want to find the handbook that you are looking at if there is a newer one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Okay guys. I have interviews scheduled for this week and next.

My first interviews ever (even jobs) since I work at the family business and didn't get interviewed by own family. hahah

I practiced with a friend as a mock interview using some questions from the feedback thing. My issue is that I begin to talk really fast and then literally FORGET words as I am trying to saying something, so I have to say what ever it is I was planning on saying in an unintelligent way. My friend says it comes off as condescending though because I end up using really simple words that kids would use to explain a big thing. He says the adcom may think that I think that they are incapable of understanding more complex words. LOL
But that's not the case. I just freeze and have to divert. lol

Is that something that will be a make or break thing for me or are podiatry interviews more lax when it comes to interviewing?

Reading all of the MD/DO interview threads makes it sound like you have to be on your game or you're gone since there's 10K other students waiting to take your place. lol

Edit: My stats are not an issue as far as I have seen (3.6 overall and 3.3 sGPA w/ 508).

My first interviews ever (even jobs) since I work at the family business and didn't get interviewed by own family. hahah

I practiced with a friend as a mock interview using some questions from the feedback thing. My issue is that I begin to talk really fast and then literally FORGET words as I am trying to saying something, so I have to say what ever it is I was planning on saying in an unintelligent way. My friend says it comes off as condescending though because I end up using really simple words that kids would use to explain a big thing. He says the adcom may think that I think that they are incapable of understanding more complex words. LOL

Is that something that will be a make or break thing for me or are podiatry interviews more lax when it comes to interviewing?

Reading all of the MD/DO interview threads makes it sound like you have to be on your game or you're gone since there's 10K other students waiting to take your place. lol

Edit: My stats are not an issue as far as I have seen (3.6 overall and 3.3 sGPA w/ 508).
You'll be absolutely fine with those stats

Reactions: 3 users

Relax.

Be yourself.

Have a conversation with the people across from you.

Its not a tryout. They just want to see if you're a normal human being capable of holding a conversation.

Reactions: 2 users
Huh, thats interesting. In my interview we had to lightsaber battle each other.

Relax.

Be yourself.

Have a conversation with the people across from you.

Its not a tryout. They just want to see if you're a normal human being capable of holding a conversation.

Huh, thats interesting. In my interview we had to lightsaber battle each other.
three-seats-available-so-were-gonna-have-tryouts.jpg

This is what they did at my interview at Midwestern. I thought it was interesting

Do you guys know when schools usually fill up seats by? I've been trying to contact CSPM and Western to ask about this but haven't gotten any replies. I'm debating re-taking my MCAT September 17 or taking more time with it and taking it early January, but I'm scared to wait it out that long into the cycle.

Do you guys know when schools usually fill up seats by? I've been trying to contact CSPM and Western to ask about this but haven't gotten any replies. I'm debating re-taking my MCAT September 17 or taking more time with it and taking it early January, but I'm scared to wait it out that long into the cycle.

From what I have read, most schools actually do NOT fill up at all. Just AZPOD and DMU I think actually fill up. If you go on Westerns website, it says there were 37 students enrolled last year, but it's a class of 50. There's just not enough applicants with stats to fill the seats so you're fine whether you do Sept. or Jan.
You're asking about next cycle right? for 2019 starting?

You will be fine if you take it in Jan or even in March.
I took mine in May and started school in August of the same year.

From what I have read, most schools actually do NOT fill up at all. Just AZPOD and DMU I think actually fill up. If you go on Westerns website, it says there were 37 students enrolled last year, but it's a class of 50. There's just not enough applicants with stats to fill the seats so you're fine whether you do Sept. or Jan.
You're asking about next cycle right? for 2019 starting?
Yeah I noticed that Western had 37 seats which kinda made me question if it was just a down year. But yes, I am asking for next cycle. I got rejected from Western and then got an interview from CSPM (rejected there too) with a sorry score of 489. Will come back and gun for high 490's!

Yeah I noticed that Western had 37 seats which kinda made me question if it was just a down year. But yes, I am asking for next cycle. I got rejected from Western and then got an interview from CSPM (rejected there too) with a sorry score of 489. Will come back and gun for high 490's!
What are your other stats?

3.12 undergrad
3.9 masters
taking more post bacc classes (anatomy, micro, pharmacology)
Your grades are fine.

You probably got rejected from both due to your MCAT.

Even after you get interviews, you need to realize the amount of work it will take to stay in Western or CSPM.

Not trying to put you down, if your masters was an SMP or hard sciences, you will do perfectly fine. If it wasn't, you will struggle.

If your MCAT comes back to be a 499-500+ you will be ok as long as you work your tail off.

Had similar stats to you.

AZpod had 37/50 seats because they are trying to increase their class size in the next few years to be their own College of Podiatry outside of the Midwestern College system. In order to do so you need to have 50 students or more. It is number based.

Your grades are fine.

You probably got rejected from both due to your MCAT.

Even after you get interviews, you need to realize the amount of work it will take to stay in Western or CSPM.

Not trying to put you down, if your masters was an SMP or hard sciences, you will do perfectly fine. If it wasn't, you will struggle.

If your MCAT comes back to be a 499-500+ you will be ok as long as you work your tail off.

Had similar stats to you.

AZpod had 37/50 seats because they are trying to increase their class size in the next few years to be their own College of Podiatry outside of the Midwestern College system. In order to do so you need to have 50 students or more. It is number based.

Western. Not AZPOD. Western had less than their full capacity. I'm guessing since there's not enough good applicants.

Probably cause they sound like a bunch of Nazis over at their pod school

Well it's not like AZPOD is any better lmao. Look at their, and AZCOM and dental programs facebook photos. Like 70% of the students are white. If anything, AZPOD is the LEAST diverse school of all. But atleast they have good pass rates and facilities. I am white and I still would feel uncomfortable going to a school that favors so many white students. No offense to anyone but it's the truth. You can even google "azcom diversity" and see that PLENTY of students noticed how MWU was very heavily white and mormonized. lol

Was not aware of race being an issue.. isn't that discrimination? Lol
Not like anyone can have enough proof to sue them or something like that. Only thing is if the CPME threatens their accreditation for not being diverse enough. Several MD school including my state’s (not diverse here) was on the verge of losing accreditation for it (not enough diversity in class). I’m sure there have been others as well as DO.
But not like anyone or small group can prove it.. too many variables

Well it's not like AZPOD is any better lmao. Look at their, and AZCOM and dental programs facebook photos. Like 70% of the students are white. If anything, AZPOD is the LEAST diverse school of all. But atleast they have good pass rates and facilities. I am white and I still would feel uncomfortable going to a school that favors so many white students. No offense to anyone but it's the truth. You can even google "azcom diversity" and see that PLENTY of students noticed how MWU was very heavily white and mormonized. lol
What? haha thats not what I was saying at all. I was saying the administrators at Western seem cut throat and it seems like a "youre on your own and if you cant hack it then see ya later" type of mentality. Midwestern isnt that diverse because they have all of Utah applying for them and Glendale, AZ isnt super diverse. People that do have diverse backgrounds feel more comfortable in NYC or Miami or Chicago because of the diversity in the city. Its not just about the school, but the surrounding area.

Was not aware of race being an issue.. isn't that discrimination? Lol

No. I'm kind of just messing around. There's alot of white and/or mormon students there because 1) it's AZ, and 2) it's nearby utah and Idaho so they get alot of that demographic so of course their student body will have a higher proportion of those students than, say, CA or NY, or Philly or Chicago schools.

Got accepted at DMU with same MCAT

Did you have a high GPA to offset it?

Pasha applied a lot earlier in the cycle than you (and I'm sure they realized how awesome Pasha was! haha). But it is easier to get in with lower stats if you apply early. It's also easier to get scholarships if you have average/high stats! With that being said, you should still be fine for the bigger schools if you are willing to go there! Barry's average MCAT was around 489 recently so you should be good.

Call AACPM and ask if it's the "to do" pile or something. Mail doesn't take that long to get delivered. Only other thing could be that your second school is being lazy and hasn't sent it yet. But it shouldn't take 2 weeks to put one piece of paper in an envelope and put it in the mail box lol.
Did you fill out a transcript request form from your school correctly?
All good! Thank you :)

Is there an active "what are my chances" thread for this cycle?

Oh great thanks. Does anyone know if CSPM pays for travel expenses for interviews?