AACPMAS 2017/2018 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's a good GPA calculator to play around with so I can see what my cum gpa will come out to? (I'm not submitting the app yet)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What's a good GPA calculator to play around with so I can see what my cum gpa will come out to? (I'm not submitting the app yet)
Formulas are already set. You just have to fill in the class type and the grade and credit and it'll calculate the rest!

Attachments

• AADSAS GPA.xlsx
    38 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, if I were to submit my application now (just MCAT score pending), which schools are likely to at least offer me an interview?
Also, how long until I get a notification from the schools telling me they received my application? (I'm applying to Kent, DMU, NYCPM, Temple, and Scholl)

Members don't see this ad :)
The bigger the school, the better the chance that they haven't filled the class.

Hey guys, if I were to submit my application now (just MCAT score pending), which schools are likely to at least offer me an interview?
Also, how long until I get a notification from the schools telling me they received my application? (I'm applying to Kent, DMU, NYCPM, Temple, and Scholl)

Stats?

The bigger the school, the better the chance that they haven't filled the class.

Wouldn't they all still have spots at this point though? There's still 4 months to go and and not that many people apply to pod school so I don't think he has to worry. Not even a little. There's people on here who applied the last month or even week and still got in.

Wouldn't they all still have spots at this point though? There's still 4 months to go and and not that many people apply to pod school so I don't think he has to worry. Not even a little. There's people on here who applied the last month or even week and still got in.
There'll be spots up till the end of the application cycle. What's more limited is funding for scholarships, which may not necessarily be leftover by the end of the cycle.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, would it be a problem if 4 LOR's get sent out through Interfolio?
I asked an extra person since one of the original 3 that was supposed to write me one seemed busy, so just to be safe I asked. Turns out they all wrote me one so I wanted to know if I should just send all 4 or omit the extra one?

Hi. My LORs are more geared traditional medical school (MD, DO). Would I need to have my letter writers rewrite the letters specifically mentioning podiatry school? Thanks.

Hey guys, would it be a problem if 4 LOR's get sent out through Interfolio?
I asked an extra person since one of the original 3 that was supposed to write me one seemed busy, so just to be safe I asked. Turns out they all wrote me one so I wanted to know if I should just send all 4 or omit the extra one?

its fine

Members don't see this ad :)
First post on this site but I've been lurking here for awhile. Wanted to share the awesome news. Today, I received my acceptance to Kent (which was my top choice school) with a scholarship! I could not be happier. When I toured and interviewed at the school, it gave me a gut feeling and I knew it was where I wanted to go.

A little about me and my stats. I just graduated in December with a Biology major, and applied with a 2.98 cGPA/3.23 sGPA. The cGPA is especially low, but I had a very strong upward trend after a horrible freshman year, so my grades are not as bad as the cGPA would lead you to believe. My freshman year was just so bad that it made it very difficult to bring that number up. I really turned myself around as a student and it took a lot of hard work, something that came up in my interview. I got a 497 MCAT (122/126/125/124). I worked on two research projects as an undergrad for 2.5 years. One project is complete and I am a co-author on the two papers that came out of it, which are currently in peer review, and the other is still in progress. I've had a lot of healthcare and podiatry experience. I've spent time volunteering in an ER and between 30-40 hours shadowing a group of podiatrists. I also have thousands of hours of work experience in a hospital as a nurses aide on a general medical unit (so lots of podiatry cases come to us). Thanks to that job, I was able to interact with physicians of all specialties, and was even able to go into the OR when I wanted and watch various surgeries. I also worked as a home health aide with intellectually disabled individuals. In total, I had 6 recommendation letters. 2 were from the podiatrists I shadow and 4 were from professors that knew me very well. I only applied to podiatry schools, as it is the area I truly want to get into. Very excited to start in a few months!

Reactions: 4 users
First post on this site but I've been lurking here for awhile. Wanted to share the awesome news. Today, I received my acceptance to Kent (which was my top choice school) with a scholarship! I could not be happier. When I toured and interviewed at the school, it gave me a gut feeling and I knew it was where I wanted to go.

A little about me and my stats. I just graduated in December with a Biology major, and applied with a 2.98 cGPA/3.23 sGPA. The cGPA is especially low, but I had a very strong upward trend after a horrible freshman year, so my grades are not as bad as the cGPA would lead you to believe. My freshman year was just so bad that it made it very difficult to bring that number up. I really turned myself around as a student and it took a lot of hard work, something that came up in my interview. I got a 497 MCAT (122/126/125/124). I worked on two research projects as an undergrad for 2.5 years. One project is complete and I am a co-author on the two papers that came out of it, which are currently in peer review, and the other is still in progress. I've had a lot of healthcare and podiatry experience. I've spent time volunteering in an ER and between 30-40 hours shadowing a group of podiatrists. I also have thousands of hours of work experience in a hospital as a nurses aide on a general medical unit (so lots of podiatry cases come to us). Thanks to that job, I was able to interact with physicians of all specialties, and was even able to go into the OR when I wanted and watch various surgeries. I also worked as a home health aide with intellectually disabled individuals. In total, I had 6 recommendation letters. 2 were from the podiatrists I shadow and 4 were from professors that knew me very well. I only applied to podiatry schools, as it is the area I truly want to get into. Very excited to start in a few months!
That's amazing! and congrats on your acceptance. Also, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm currently waiting on my MCAT score (tomorrow) but I had chosen podiatry since my 3rd year in college. Last year I decided to shadow a podiatrist to see if this is really what I wanted and she definitely is one of the main reasons on why I see myself doing this in the future. Best of luck in Kent!

Hi guys! Looking for an insightful advice. I'm one click away from sending in my applications but my stats are keeping from doing so. I wanted to know what my chances are at Scholl, Barry, Kent, Temple & NYCPM. My MCAT score is 487. I know it's too low so I scheduled to retake it in April.
Cumulative GPA: 2.9
Science GPA: 2.75
Post Bacc GPA: 3.8
DPM Shadow hours: 100+
Healthcare experience/volunteer: 300+ hours
Research experience: 240 hours
As you can tell from my stats, I'm pretty devastated at this point. I'm debating whether or not to send in my app or wait till I get my new MCAT score.

Last edited:
Good job on the post bacc. That will more than likely make up for the undergrad. Be prepared to be asked about your undergrad GPA in interviews.

The big red flag is the mcat. You are going to have a hard time at Temple, as they like higher mcat scores (495+). You can prolly get into the other schools that you mentioned however, assuming a good interview.

If it were me, I’d go ahead and send out your app and see who bites. Once you get the new mcat score back, send them updates.

Good luck. Hope this helped.

Hi guys! Looking for an insightful advice. I'm one click away from sending in my applications but my stats are keeping from doing so. I wanted to know what my chances are at Scholl, Barry, Kent, Temple & NYCPM. My MCAT score is 487. I know it's too low so I scheduled to retake it in April.
As you can tell from my stats, I'm pretty devastated at this point. I'm debating whether or not to send in my app or wait till I get my new MCAT score.

If it makes you feel any better, I got an interview from Kent with a 489. Your Post Bacc is pretty solid though, I wouldn't be surprised if you got an interview from them.

If it makes you feel any better, I got an interview from Kent with a 489. Your Post Bacc is pretty solid though, I wouldn't be surprised if you got an interview from them.
What was you GPA though? GPA is weighted 2/3 to 1/3 at every school I was at and from what I’ve seen this year and older threads it’s definitely more important. Also did you hear anything back?

Last edited:
You’re def gonna get rejections below a 3.0 even with a good post bacc but you might get a shot somewhere. The smaller schools along with Scholl Temple and NY will prob auto reject but Kent or Barry you might have a shot.. it’s also getting later in the cycle which isn’t gonna help. But It’s a possibility just get a good Mcat score.

Since the application opens in 5 days, why not?

Super excited to be applying this year!
Is it best to apply as soon as possible or does it really matter if you wait a bit? I'm still a junior so what's the best time for me? my prehealth advisor was confusing me and telling me to apply april of my senior year but that's really late right?

Did you get in?
I got on the "alternate list" , where they'll make the decision closer to the end of the cycle. I assume it's for them to gauge how many students fill up seats before making a decision for me.

What was you GPA though? GPA is weighted 2/3 to 1/3 at every school I was at and from what I’ve seen this year and older threads it’s definitely more important. Also did you hear anything back?
3.12 undergrad, 3.9 masters

Which courses did you take for the PostBacc?

Hopefully this is helpful for those who are applying later in the cycle like I did:
-Application submitted 11-Feb-2018
-Final Transcript arrived 23-Feb-2018
-Oddly enough, an interview invite came from Temple on 27-Feb-2018
-Officially Verified on 1-March-2018
-LORs are still pending
-Stats are cGPA 3.52 and sGPA 3.40, old MCAT score of 26 (mercifully schools are accepting that score through this cycle)
-Standard pre-med college experiences: shadowing, work, volunteering, etc. I graduated a few years ago and have been working in clinical research since.

Hopefully this is helpful for those who are applying later in the cycle like I did:
-Application submitted 11-Feb-2018
-Final Transcript arrived 23-Feb-2018
-Oddly enough, an interview invite came from Temple on 27-Feb-2018
-Officially Verified on 1-March-2018
-LORs are still pending
-Stats are cGPA 3.52 and sGPA 3.40, old MCAT score of 26 (mercifully schools are accepting that score through this cycle)
-Standard pre-med college experiences: shadowing, work, volunteering, etc. I graduated a few years ago and have been working in clinical research since.
Not odd at all.

You have above average GPA + Research + Workable MCAT.

Pod school applications aren't like MD/DO.

Oh I’m aware it’s different from the MD/DO process, just wasn’t expecting an II a couple days prior to my transcripts being marked as verified on my application. Anyway, I’m hopeful Temple works out because I’d like to move back to Philly but I’m looking forward to whatever feedback I get from Scholl and Kent State.

Reactions: 1 users
Geeze, pod schools are really desperate this year.

Not odd at all.

You have above average GPA + Research + Workable MCAT.

Pod school applications aren't like MD/DO.

APMSA conference reports.

Your school rep should know.

Gotcha. I guess thats a good thing for applicants this cycle.
Hopefully, the trend doesn’t continue the way its going.

Gotcha. I guess thats a good thing for applicants this cycle.
Hopefully, the trend doesn’t continue the way its going.

I still think that alot of people who use pod as a "backup" due to low gpa or mcat ARE in fact capable of getting into "real" medical school. It may take longer due to retakes or masters, but in this day and age where it's normal to be starting at 25, people don't mind taking 2 extra years after undergrad to boost their md/do school chances.

I'm just assuming here, but I feel like people in the past (when pod applicants were higher in volume) just wanted to get done as early as possible. Going straight through undergrad @22 and then med/pod/dental/pharm right after was the norm, and people just settled for whatever was quickest. Nowadays, grad programs average ages are near 25-26 because people take the time to do "makeup" work and just go for the "real" med school. Thus, in turn, applicants for pod are going down. And I think will always be down now that some DO schools are easy to get into too.

Yeah, since the MD/DO residency merged these Postbacc programs around the country grew exponentially. Then, there are newer (or affiliates) DO schools opening (about 10) by 2019 around the country also.

But, if anyone wants to be a doc and wants to pursue Pod then this is the time to apply and get in. Also, because of these lower number of students entering, there will be enough residency spots for those applying for the match from 2019-22 (at least). So, those of us who are in Pod school currently and those who will start soon, the lower # of pod applicants isn't all that bad news.

Last edited:
I wonder what the pod schools are gonna do this year about low enrollment. Maybe increase tuition? Prolly not cut the price, although that might attract new students if they learned they can get a medical education for under 200K. Imagine if they capped tuition at 25K, It would attract a lot more students.

Like you mentioned, low number of pods entering mean lower number of pod grads trying to get residency. Who knows, maybe everyone will be able to get a residency in 4 years.

Yeah, since the MD/DO residency merged these Postbacc programs around the country grew exponentially. Then, there are newer (or affiliates) DO schools opening (about 10) by 2019 around the country also.

But, if anyone wants to be a doc and wants to pursue Pod then this is the time to apply and get in. Also, because of these lower number of students entering, there will be enough residency spots for those applying for the match from 2019-22 (at least). So, those of us who are in Pod school currently and those who will start soon, the lower # of pod applicants isn't all that bad news.

Good job on the post bacc. That will more than likely make up for the undergrad. Be prepared to be asked about your undergrad GPA in interviews.

The big red flag is the mcat. You are going to have a hard time at Temple, as they like higher mcat scores (495+). You can prolly get into the other schools that you mentioned however, assuming a good interview.

If it were me, I’d go ahead and send out your app and see who bites. Once you get the new mcat score back, send them updates.

Good luck. Hope this helped.

Thank you! It was very helpful to hear that. I just needed that push. I sent in my app so I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks! Wish I tried a little harder before doing my post bacc though. I wish you good luck with whatever school you want to attend! I'm a little hopeful about Kent too. Now I just gotta wait and see.

Which courses did you take for the PostBacc?

I took the courses I got a C in and a few other miscellaneous courses like physics, astronomy, advance calc, etc. Do you think they're particular about where/what you do for post bacc?

How long do you think this will last? Was there an increase in apps before and now there is a decline, or has it been steady with no increase?

Apps have been down the last couple years. I remember there was a surge in apps about 10 years ago (2008-2009), which led to the residency crisis of 2012 and 2013, the effects of which can still be felt today.

It’s a good thing apps are down for residency placement.

How long do you think this will last? Was there an increase in apps before and now there is a decline, or has it been steady with no increase?

[QUOTE="I took the courses I got a C in and a few other miscellaneous courses like physics, astronomy, advance calc, etc. Do you think they're particular about where/what you do for post bacc?[/QUOTE]

Adcoms want us to take courses that would translate in doing well in Meds school. So, it is great your re-took the C courses. It would have been even better if you had taken high-level sci classes such as microbio, a&P, biochem, etc. But you might make it in with your current stats so let's wait and see.

Apps have been down the last couple years. I remember there was a surge in apps about 10 years ago (2008-2009), which led to the residency crisis of 2012 and 2013, the effects of which can still be felt today.

It’s a good thing apps are down for residency placement.

Good thing for residency yes. But do you think this will have a negative impact for the future of podiatry? In a sense, would the medical community (hospitals, admin etc.) ever just be like "what's the point of hiring pods when there is so little of them anyways and there are so many DO's/PA's now that can handle the wounds, nails, etc. AND still be able to practice regular medicine". It saves the hospitals money because they kind of get a 2 for 1 deal. *Just thinking out loud here. lol

Good thing for residency yes. But do you think this will have a negative impact for the future of podiatry? In a sense, would the medical community (hospitals, admin etc.) ever just be like "what's the point of hiring pods when there is so little of them anyways and there are so many DO's/PA's now that can handle the wounds, nails, etc. AND still be able to practice regular medicine". It saves the hospitals money because they kind of get a 2 for 1 deal. *Just thinking out loud here. lol
Go look at some of the resident threads on job outlook and salary.

Pods make hospitals money. Through ancillary services.

Even among multispecialty groups, some of them produce the highest numbers among the orthos.

It depends on a lot of things, but saying that pods do not make hospitals enough money to see a decrease in hiring across the field is a bit of a stretch.

Reactions: 4 users
I think once D.O school gets as competitive as M.D, pod applications will increase.

No, I don’t think it’s a bad thing for the future. For one, the “ew feet” mentality is across all professions. Not a lot of people want to work with feet, MD/DO/NP/PA, etc. most family Med docs while they can do non surgical pod stuff will just punt it over to podiatry. The only real turf war there is, Ortho Foot and Ankle. If there was competition to be had, I’m glad it’s with other doctors and not midlevel providers. While it is true everything pods do can be done by other people, the filters that keeps DPMs in demand is:

1) it’s a skill that requires licensure. First big filter. Can’t really outsource this job to other countries.

2) Nps and PA, MD and DO rarely if ever do non surgical foot stuff. They could do ingrown toenails, but frankly unless they have had extensive training in it, they will prolly refer out

3) Surgery. Most important as only MD/DOs can do this as well. This was super important for pods to preserve during the infancy. Imagine how much of a better place Optometrists would have been in if they could do surgery. Surgical rights elevate pods beyond midlevel approach and firmly distinguishes pods vs PAs and NPs.

Podiatry is weird as it’s a jack of all trades of medical specialty (paradox).

Go look at some of the resident threads on job outlook and salary.

Pods make hospitals money. Through ancillary services.

Even among multispecialty groups, some of them produce the highest numbers among the orthos.

It depends on a lot of things, but saying that pods do not make hospitals enough money to see a decrease in hiring across the field is a bit of a stretch.

I only shadowed a private practice doc so forgive my ignorance...

But do you mean stuff like x-rays, MRI's, etc.???
What if peoples insurances dont cover ancillary services?

He's had patients that have to go to an imaging center for X-rays because their insurances do NOT cover him doing the xrays there at his own place (he has an X-ray machine). So I'm guessing he doesn't make a dime off of them.