AANA Official Name Change Aug 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The only people they are fooling is the unsuspecting public. Obviously these nurses know the difference. Surgeons know the difference. Everyone else in the hospital know the difference. AANA. Pathetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like saying “American Association of Nurse Anesthesiology” versus “Nurse Anesthesiologists” was probably an intentional way to skate around legal challenge.

Reactions: 1 user
This is like a paralegal bragging about being like a lawyer. And the national paralegal association says, "our members want to call themselves lawyers so we are changing our name to lawyers"

Reactions: 6 users
good ol mike mckinnon dnp, fnp-c, crna, elementary/middle/high school grad degree chiming in

Reactions: 4 users
i love how they even call it "rebranding!"

not: "we feel that this term better encapsulates our training, blah blah blah."

nope, just marketing.

good ol mike mckinnon dnp, fnp-c, crna, elementary/middle/high school grad degree chiming in

He spent years on these forums daydreaming about becoming an MD. His posts are still up. Poor guy. I feel bad for him.

Reactions: 3 users
Massive inferiority complex for Mr Mike CRNA

This is why I always advise students not to settle if they’re between medicine and something midlevel. Some here say midlevel is better on paper(I don’t agree quite yet), but there’s a psychological component that needs considered as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Well their education hasnt changed.

didn't they lengthen programs to make them all doctorates now?

I mean they don't get any broader medical knowledge nor get any deeper anesthesia training, but they did change and lengthen the educational component a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)

I mean they don't get any broader medical knowledge nor get any deeper anesthesia training, but they did change and lengthen the educational component a bit.
they write a book report now. it's quite a thesis.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
they write a book report now. it's quite a thesis.

oh i know, just pointing out that they did change their educational component a bit. I think they added something like 6 months to the programs duration.

6 months to write a book report.
I wrote book reports in high school

But did you write reports like these that let you become a doctor?? I am of the opinion that jr. high science fair is a better assessment. Actually my Jr. High science teacher would have failed some of these Doctoral projects as actual science projects.

The Use of Peer Mentoring to Decrease Stress in Student Registered Nurse Anesthetists. Where the conclusion is "this study lacked an adequate sample size to retain confidence in the result. Although the researcher cannot be confident in the statistical significance of the data, the data supports the hypothesis that peer mentoring may decrease stress levels in SRNAs."

Incidence of Student Registered Nurse Anesthetists In the United States Who Own and Use Smartphone As Supplemental Learning Tools "This study found that an overwhelming majority of SRNA students in DNP and Master’s Programs throughout the United States owned and used smartphones."

A Comparison of the Features and Functions Available in Electronic Health Records "This doctoral project evaluates the current features and available functions for pediatric medication administration within the electronic health record (EHR). "
Implementing Computerized ST-Segment Analysis Utilizing 5-Lead ECG Cables during the Perioperative Period for Myocardial Ischemia Detection in Patients at Risk for Cardiovascular Disease. Spoiler: the CRNA did not write a new and better computer algorithm to analyze EKGs. "The main barrier reported by anesthesia providers was not having the 5-lead ECG cables readily available. ... By updating the anesthesia providers on the most recent literature and guidelines by numerous professional organizations, the primary goal to increase the utilization of 5-lead ECG cables was met."

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
But did you write reports like these that let you become a doctor?? I am of the opinion that jr. high science fair is a better assessment. Actually my Jr. High science teacher would have failed some of these Doctoral projects as actual science projects.

The Use of Peer Mentoring to Decrease Stress in Student Registered Nurse Anesthetists. Where the conclusion is "this study lacked an adequate sample size to retain confidence in the result. Although the researcher cannot be confident in the statistical significance of the data, the data supports the hypothesis that peer mentoring may decrease stress levels in SRNAs."

Incidence of Student Registered Nurse Anesthetists In the United States Who Own and Use Smartphone As Supplemental Learning Tools "This study found that an overwhelming majority of SRNA students in DNP and Master’s Programs throughout the United States owned and used smartphones."

A Comparison of the Features and Functions Available in Electronic Health Records "This doctoral project evaluates the current features and available functions for pediatric medication administration within the electronic health record (EHR). "
Implementing Computerized ST-Segment Analysis Utilizing 5-Lead ECG Cables during the Perioperative Period for Myocardial Ischemia Detection in Patients at Risk for Cardiovascular Disease. Spoiler: the CRNA did not write a new and better computer algorithm to analyze EKGs. "The main barrier reported by anesthesia providers was not having the 5-lead ECG cables readily available. ... By updating the anesthesia providers on the most recent literature and guidelines by numerous professional organizations, the primary goal to increase the utilization of 5-lead ECG cables was met."

That is some hard hitting research right there. Totally worthy of a rebranding.

Reactions: 2 users

This is like elementary school stuff. These DNP fools are trying to fool everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
This is like elementary school stuff. These DNP fools are trying to fool everyone.

Unfortunately, if we don’t get ahead of this bs, it’s the future Anesthesiologists who will suffer.

Not sure if there is a good organization that would get in front of this. I contribute to asa-pac, also PPP. But little disheartening that no real organizations that will unite anesthesiologists.

They still have the "nurse" next to it. As long as that doesn't go away, it'll be fine... Does anyone believe any patient actually know what the difference was when a CRNA introduces themselves as "anesthetist" vs a physician introducing them selves as "anesthesiologist".

They still have the "nurse" next to it. As long as that doesn't go away, it'll be fine... Does anyone believe any patient actually know what the difference was when a CRNA introduces themselves as "anesthetist" vs a physician introducing them selves as "anesthesiologist".

Dropping the “nurse” part comes next.

Reactions: 7 users
Dropping the “nurse” part comes next.

If they think being a nurse is so embarrassing, they should have taken MCAT and gone to medical school.

Talk to some of these young nurses in the PACU and ICU who are taking their online DNP courses and working on their doctoral thesis projects while on the job. It makes you truly fear the direction this country is going in with healthcare. Makes me worry about the care me and my family will inevitably get in the future.

Had a pre-op nurse tell me that she’s getting a DNP because “it’ll be nice to be called a doctor.” I had to bite my tongue from responding with an insult.

Absolutely zero increased clinical training - loaded with non-clinical fluff.

Talk to some of these young nurses in the PACU and ICU who are taking their online DNP courses and working on their doctoral thesis projects while on the job. It makes you truly fear the direction this country is going in with healthcare. Makes me worry about the care me and my family will inevitably get in the future.

Had a pre-op nurse tell me that she’s getting a DNP because “it’ll be nice to be called a doctor.” I had to bite my tongue from responding with an insult.

Should tell her that she isn't one and nobody respects her degree..................... actually nvm you'll be in trouble for saying the truth.

• Haha
This is like a paralegal bragging about being like a lawyer. And the national paralegal association says, "our members want to call themselves lawyers so we are changing our name to lawyers"
Pick another analogy...they'd respond by saying paralegals don't argue cases in front of a judge without a lawyer present either.

And calling themselves DOCTOR so-and-so nurse ANESTHESIOLOGIST
Or "I'm Dr so and so from anesthesia. I'll be taking car of you today". A buddy in OH told me years ago a bunch of CRNAs got their Doctor of Divinity on line and would introduce themselves that way. The state board of medicine got involved and got a cease and desit order from a judge. Probably have to fight it at the state level as the ASA hasn't the sand to take them on nationally.

What an Embarrassment. If this doesn't serve as a wake up call nothing will. Every speciality is at stake. Every day every patient.

Still can’t get over this. If not anything else- are these nurses not embarrassed to pretend to be something that they’re not?

I guess you need to give credit where it’s due though. While we spent time in medical school learning about the social injustices in medicine (which is true and i don’t disagree with) and spending time on interdisciplinary projects with nurses and social work students during M4 year, these CRNAs and other APPs learn about advocacy and how to improve their PR campaign.

Got called yesterday to the Er for a blood patch by a PA. Made me think, what are the chances of seeing a doc vs a pa in the ER if I were a patient? 40%? 20%? **** there’s a good chance I would have to put in orders on myself to make sure my care is appropriate..

Got out of The Game just in the nick of time.

What an Embarrassment. If this doesn't serve as a wake up call nothing will. Every speciality is at stake. Every day every patient.
An embarrassment for whom? If the surgeons and medical staff don't care, what does that say about their opinion of their anesthesiology colleagues? As for medical staffs that include anesthesiologists, I don't understand all of the lather....just ban the use of the term for all non physicians...problem solved...for those institutions that lack staff anesthesiologists, if the surgeons and medical staff lack the fortitude to make such policy, the problem is not with the nurses....all politics is local...

Didn’t the “we are the answer” campaign cause them to lose srna training site connections?

Got called yesterday to the Er for a blood patch by a PA. Made me think, what are the chances of seeing a doc vs a pa in the ER if I were a patient? 40%? 20%? **** there’s a good chance I would have to put in orders on myself to make sure my care is appropriate..
About 2 years ago I took one of my kids to the ED for vomiting and distended belly. I had to argue with the PA we saw about not needing a strep or flu test but did need an x-ray (impressive ileus that resolved with a massive fart in the ambulance on the way to the local peds hospital).

The other 2 times we've taken kids to the ED (9pm scalp lac and 2am croup) we saw a physician and things went perfectly.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Didn’t the “we are the answer” campaign cause them to lose srna training site connections?
Recently happened in my area. Not sure if it was specifically that campaign, but their nonsense is coming back to bite them in training for sure

An embarrassment for whom? If the surgeons and medical staff don't care, what does that say about their opinion of their anesthesiology colleagues? As for medical staffs that include anesthesiologists, I don't understand all of the lather....just ban the use of the term for all non physicians...problem solved...for those institutions that lack staff anesthesiologists, if the surgeons and medical staff lack the fortitude to make such policy, the problem is not with the nurses....all politics is local...

Yeah this is a good point. A mixed group, anesthesiologists basically decide the rules. But nationally, there needs to be laws dictating what nursing lobbies can call themselves. It's so stupid how they can basically decide to just hand out doctorates like they don't mean anything or imply anything to the patient. It should be mandatory, that no matter what degree they change themselves into they introduce themselves as like "nurse practitioner in *specialty*". While physicians must address themselves as "Doctor of medicine in anesthesia". There's no "-gist" or "-thetist" going on, makes everything clearer. Also, assistants have used the term assistant anesthesiologist for ever.

Last edited:
With Biden as president, things in medicine will be veeeeeery interesting.