AAVMC Summer Career Fair

Started by LVT2DVM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LVT2DVM

UGA-CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AAVMC Hosts Career Fair in New Orleans, LA.

Who: The American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges and YOU
What: Annual Summer Career Fair, featuring two veterinary career information sessions.
When: July 18th, 2008, from 2:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Where: the New Orleans Hilton Riverside
Why: Students will meet with representatives from many veterinary colleges, so all prospective applicants are urged to attend.

Has anyone attended one of these before? I went to the VMCAS/AAVMC and AVMA convention webpages and the description was either vague or nonexistant and emails have gone unreturned. Is it worth going just for the career fair, if I cant attend the conference? I tried to search the forum for previous threads but couldnt find anything. If you know of a previous thread could you send me a link. Thanks.
 
Yes! I went the one in Minnesota a couple of years ago. It was essentially like an undergrad college fair, but way smaller since there are only 20-whatever vet schools. Each school had a table full of admissions info, applications, catalogues, etc, and some schools had current students available to answer questions. It was great to be able to talk to all the admissions people in one place. I was able to get so many answers to questions I didn't even know I had. I attended one talk from VMCAS folks about writing a successful application, and one talk from a vet who studied zoonotic diseases... interesting, but not as helpful as the college fair was.

I definitely recommend going!