About Follow-up/Thank-you emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted642188

Hey all y'all

I was wondering what is your opinion on sending a thank you email. I will interview soon and I was wondering if it necessary - for the sake of professionalism - to send a quick follow up email the day after my interview. Some of my acquaintances in med school suggest that I do... I just want SDN's opinions on the matter

TYVM

Members don't see this ad.

I've always thought it's just part of courtesy. It won't affect your application either way, but many of these interviewers are volunteering their time because they care about the future of the school and the futures of their students. It's always nice to acknowledge their efforts.

I'd also suggest asking on your interview day if they have a preference for emailed thank-yous or physical ones. Most likely they won't care either way, but doesn't hurt to ask either.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't overthink it. If you have something you want to say in your note, go for it. If you don't, don't. I only sent a thank you to an interviewer who explicitly told me to keep in touch.

what should i write in my Thank you email? I know it should be more than a quick thank you.
-It should be short.
-It should express appreciation for the time spent, perhaps referring to something said during the interview that will jog a memory of who you are.
-It could ask a quick question that could easily be answered by email.
-It could briefly expand on something asked during the interview, if you feel you answered awkwardly or incompletely.
-It could say something complimentary about the curriculum that draws you to that school, particularly if you learned it in response to a question asked of that interviewer.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Catalystik,

-It should be short.
-It should express appreciation for the time spent, perhaps referring to something said during the interview that will jog a memory of who you are.
-It could ask a quick question that could easily be answered by email.
-It could briefly expand on something asked during the interview, if you feel you answered awkwardly or incompletely.
-It could say something complimentary about the curriculum that draws you to that school, particularly if you learned it in response to a question asked of that interviewer.

I interviewed at a school last Wednesday and still have not sent thank you notes. Is it too late now, will it just come off as rude?

Most of my reason to delaying these thank you notes is mostly because I felt as if I did not do well. Especially where one interview I felt she did not put much effort into the interview, she was texting during my responses and such. This does not really bother me, but its just a more, I know I did not do well and they do not see me favorable, is the thank you card just going to make them roll their eyes? Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you.

Hey Catalystik,

I interviewed at a school last Wednesday and still have not sent thank you notes. Is it too late now, will it just come off as rude?

Most of my reason to delaying these thank you notes is mostly because I felt as if I did not do well. Especially where one interview I felt she did not put much effort into the interview, she was texting during my responses and such. This does not really bother me, but its just a more, I know I did not do well and they do not see me favorable, is the thank you card just going to make them roll their eyes? Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you.
I think a week is reasonable. I try to get them written within a couple days, but I sent one a week after once.

Hey Catalystik,

I suggest you lean toward not sending a note. After a week, you might have to work harder to come up with an inclusion that will remind the interviewer of who you are. And, since it sounds like the interaction was not harmonious, "appreciation" might be hard to manage, if you want to seem genuine.

If you really want to send a note regardless, a way around these issues would be to ask a question as an excuse to add at the end, "thank you for your time."

I remember my premed advisor told me to always do this. So naturally I meant to do it and kind of just forgot, every time. I don't think it affected my application so I didn't freak out. I mean are they going to say "well we like this guy, but he didn't send a thank you note so we're going to take this other person"

I remember my premed advisor told me to always do this. So naturally I meant to do it and kind of just forgot, every time. I don't think it affected my application so I didn't freak out. I mean are they going to say "well we like this guy, but he didn't send a thank you note so we're going to take this other person"

They'll never reject you for not sending one, but it could make a small influence on an interviewer if they haven't submitted their evaluation yet.

Basically the net gain is always zero or slightly positive, almost never negative, so probably worth the time in my opinion.

They'll never reject you for not sending one, but it could make a small influence on an interviewer if they haven't submitted their evaluation yet.
Yah uhh no. SDN premed thinking at its best.

We were explicitly told at an interview that thank you notes were recommended. It totally went against everything I saw on SDN.

The school didn't seem to fit with SDN dogma. They don't start granting IIs to non-EDP students until early October and they want you to use the note to re-address any questions you felt you answered incorrectly, as well as thanking the interviewer.