ABP RCSI Interview emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got into 6 year program at RCSI.

Members don't see this ad.

If you accept at one of the schools does the ABP not send you notice if another school accepted you?

If you accept at one of the schools does the ABP not send you notice if another school accepted you?

I still got a UCD acceptance after I had paid the RCSI deposit, and when I declined UCD ABP asked if I still wanted to be considered for the other schools or withdraw my application. I applied to only the 4 year programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
woke up this morning to find interview invitation for RCSI

I received a phone call to confirm an interview spot this evening for the GEP!

Last edited:
I received a phone call to confirm an interview spot this evening for the GEP!

Did you apply through atlantic bridge? I'm waiting on my mcat score that comes out tmrw. Is it better to apply directly or through AB?

thanks! hoping its not too late too apply. U.S. student.

For RCSI it might be as a US student. I just got a call today with an interview offer and they said that the only date was this Saturday... and I only got it because someone else pulled out. So unless someone else decides not to attend the interview date, chances may be slim.

That said, my understanding is that all of the other Irish schools have not yet sent their acceptances out (or interviews in the case of Limerick) so if those interest you, I'd probably encourage you to still apply to those schools ASAP.

For RCSI it might be as a US student. I just got a call today with an interview offer and they said that the only date was this Saturday... and I only got it because someone else pulled out. So unless someone else decides not to attend the interview date, chances may be slim.

That said, my understanding is that all of the other Irish schools have not yet sent their acceptances out (or interviews in the case of Limerick) so if those interest you, I'd probably encourage you to still apply to those schools ASAP.

thank you for the info, thats a bummer, I don't know much about applying to irish med but it seems that RCSI takes a lot of internationals in comparison to the others. I will get an app out ASAP, my mcat scores come back tmrw.

thank you for the info, thats a bummer, I don't know much about applying to irish med but it seems that RCSI takes a lot of internationals in comparison to the others. I will get an app out ASAP, my mcat scores come back tmrw.

You may still have a chance at the other Irish schools, but understand that the actual deadline for applications for this cycle was back in November 2014.

You may still have a chance at the other Irish schools, but understand that the actual deadline for applications for this cycle was back in November 2014.

You don't by chance know what a competitive mcat score would be right, or at least one to get looked at?

Members don't see this ad :)

Even though they have 140-something spots for international students to interview... they only have 33 spots in the 2015 entering class, I'm not sure the number for all of the other schools, but they are not too different. For example, UCD's graduate entry programme says that there are 77 spots for EU students with 4:1 EU:Non-EU ratio... so that's like 19 spots (if I did that calculation correctly). The fact that RCSI accepts twice as many as UCD doesn't really mean a whole lot when you compare such small number of acceptances to the (likely) large number of applicants.

Still, especially if you have great EC's, I wouldn't fret too much yet. That's just my opinion anyway, take it at face value.

You don't by chance know what a competitive mcat score would be right, or at least one to get looked at?

When I emailed AB back in the summer, they said a 24 was the beginning of competitive. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but for what it is worth- I only scored a 27 on mine (that's what happens when you laugh at 3-6 months of studying... but I digress). Again, I had good extracurriculars (2 Publications, a competitive award in Biochem, >3000 hours research, etc.) and have great grades to supplement that score.

Even though they have 140-something spots for international students to interview... they only have 33 spots in the 2015 entering class, I'm not sure the number for all of the other schools, but they are not too different. For example, UCD's graduate entry programme says that there are 77 spots for EU students with 4:1 EU:Non-EU ratio... so that's like 19 spots (if I did that calculation correctly). The fact that RCSI accepts twice as many as UCD doesn't really mean a whole lot when you compare such small number of acceptances to the (likely) large number of applicants.

Still, especially if you have great EC's, I wouldn't fret too much yet. That's just my opinion anyway, take it at face value.

thanks, so let me get this straight you just apply through atlantic bridge and you can just put down every grad entry school they have and the same app goes to all of them?

thanks, so let me get this straight you just apply through atlantic bridge and you can just put down every grad entry school they have and the same app goes to all of them?

First you have to go to their website and request an application:

When you fill all that information out (and say you wrote the MCAT) they will then send you an email back with a form to complete and will tell you what school(s) you can or cannot apply to, along with which programmes AT those schools.

On the form they email to you, there is a section at the end where you can select which schools you wish to apply to. After you get all the info in (cash, transcripts, MCAT, Personal Statement included) then they will get your app to all of the schools you selected. Until you get accepted or go to an interview, you do not interact with the universities at all... just AB.

First you have to go to their website and request an application:

When you fill all that information out (and say you wrote the MCAT) they will then send you an email back with a form to complete and will tell you what school(s) you can or cannot apply to, along with which programmes AT those schools.

On the form they email to you, there is a section at the end where you can select which schools you wish to apply to. After you get all the info in (cash, transcripts, MCAT, Personal Statement included) then they will get your app to all of the schools you selected. Until you get accepted or go to an interview, you do not interact with the universities at all... just AB.

Ok thanks

Ok thanks
It's actually a really great system. A lot less stressful than the Canadian or American application process. As far as I know acceptances go out late March, early April to most schools with the exception of RCSI and Limerick which do interviews first.

Did you apply through atlantic bridge? I'm waiting on my mcat score that comes out tmrw. Is it better to apply directly or through AB?

Yes, I did. I believe if you live in North America that applying through that RCSI directs you to apply through the Atlantic Bridge. That being said, I never really looked into applying straight to RCSI, so I'm not sure I can say.

Yes, I did. I believe if you live in North America that applying through that RCSI directs you to apply through the Atlantic Bridge. That being said, I never really looked into applying straight to RCSI, so I'm not sure I can say.

You are correct. As North Americans, we MUST apply through AB.

How did people's interviews go today? Any advice?

Reactions: 1 user
Anything?
I interviewed this AM. I believe most people interview with two people and a very nice gentleman from RCSI lets you know beforehand who they are and what they do. They also try very hard to put you at ease. They ask pretty standard questions- tell me about yourself, why RCSI, why medicine, what can you contribute to RCSI, what you'll do if you are not successful this round, your biggest concern regarding moving to Ireland and beginning the program. Best of luck.

I interviewed this AM. I believe most people interview with two people and a very nice gentleman from RCSI lets you know beforehand who they are and what they do. They also try very hard to put you at ease. They ask pretty standard questions- tell me about yourself, why RCSI, why medicine, what can you contribute to RCSI, what you'll do if you are not successful this round, your biggest concern regarding moving to Ireland and beginning the program. Best of luck.

that was very helpful, thank u....

Did anyone interview with a physics prof for the 5/6 year program and recall his name? I believe he was conducting his interviews with Dr. Orna Tighe. He wasn't my interviewer, but we chatted briefly and I wanted to look up a little more about his research.