ABR 2021 Dates announced later today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chartreuse Wombat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The ABR Board of Governors took a big step this week in our remote exam development process by establishing exam dates for the first half of 2021. The dates, which will be posted on our website later today, allow our candidates and volunteers to begin planning activities for next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
This will certainly help bring some clarity to our lives. Thank you for the update.

1596136002645.png

Members don't see this ad :)
So does that mean both classes of 2019 and 2020 will take the oral board on 5/2-5 2021?

• Hmm
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
There is ZERO chance that the dec “in person” “clinical” exam is happening. Paul wallner needs to focus on defrauding more people, stealing from taxpayers and the gov instead of screwing the new generation of ROs. This will give the FBI more time to Roger Stone him. PW’s corruption needs to be rooted out of the field. I encourage you all to fill out the FBI anonymous tips

Reactions: 1 user
So does that mean both classes of 2019 and 2020 will take the oral board on 5/2-5 2021?
Would certainly suck for C/o 2020 to take back-to-back tests. I would get burned out from all that studying. But would rather do that than take it the following year, so I could move on with life sooner. Would also be pretty grueling for the examiners? Unless they get more of them.

Saw on Twitter from ARRO that perhaps there will be a second oral exam in Sept 2021 for class of 2020 (so as to not have two classes of residents taking orals on the same day). That would be ideal me thinks.

Saw on Twitter from ARRO that perhaps there will be a second oral exam in Sept 2021 for class of 2020 (so as to not have two classes of residents taking orals on the same day). That would be ideal me thinks.

Yes that was in the email they sent us. It also seems to keep a relatively normal flow/timing of boards for class of 2020 intact.

Thanks. Once you know for sure what platform/format is used for remote orals, please share so people can start getting ready.

Is anybody else having trouble scheduling a test date for the written boards? I just logged in today to schedule my clinical boards and all the Pearson testing centers within 200 miles of my home are NOT scheduling for the month of December, 2020. I do not live in a heavily COVID impacted state/area so I'm a little concerned that the ABR does not realize that (tentatively) December 2020 is a no-go.

Is anybody else having trouble scheduling a test date for the written boards? I just logged in today to schedule my clinical boards and all the Pearson testing centers within 200 miles of my home are NOT scheduling for the month of December, 2020. I do not live in a heavily COVID impacted state/area so I'm a little concerned that the ABR does not realize that (tentatively) December 2020 is a no-go.

No one can. I've personally talked to around 10 people today and we're all getting the same error you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like ABR wants to do a March pilot of their oral exam. If you pass, you pass, but if not then you can do the May one, no trial against your record. No cost either, not everyone will be selected. Too bad. If you’re lucky, you can put his all behind you, 10 months after it should have been done.

at this point sitting indoors for 4 hours with bunch of strangers is too stressful

at this point sitting indoors for 4 hours with bunch of strangers is too stressful

I'm rolling the dice! This is going to be my "uphill both ways in the snow" story - "I sat in-person for the most useless basic science exams to be board certified in something called Radiation Oncology during the great COVID pandemic of 2020-2021!"

"But aren't you board certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation?"

"Ah, grandchildren, that's another story entirely..."

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I'm rolling the dice! This is going to be my "uphill both ways in the snow" story - "I sat in-person for the most useless basic science exams to be board certified in something called Radiation Oncology during the great COVID pandemic of 2020-2021!"

"But aren't you board certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation?"

"Ah, grandchildren, that's another story entirely..."
I expect plenty of money and relaxation (PM&R) to be more competitive than rad Onc this decade if it isn't already

btw, a lot of new testing centers have opened up for those wishing to change to something closer

Just took a look at potentially re-scheduling to a facility closer to my current address and it said " This exam is not available for delivery. You cannot create a registration for the exam at this time. "

Just took a look at potentially re-scheduling to a facility closer to my current address and it said " This exam is not available for delivery. You cannot create a registration for the exam at this time. "

Uh oh - I managed to move my exam a few hours closer to my current address a few weeks ago, but I haven't tried recently.

This better not be an omen of impending cancellation...

Uh oh - I managed to move my exam a few hours closer to my current address a few weeks ago, but I haven't tried recently.

Seems like the date of registration has passed, hence why they don't let you create a 'new' registration.

this is totally possible as the number of cases are exploding in some states

this is totally possible as the number of cases are exploding in some states

Many of us have resigned ourselves to the fact that there's at least a 50% probability of December being canceled.

Have I considered rescheduling to a state with cases more in control? Yes. Will there be any states left that fit that bill in 4 weeks? Unlikely...

Is this how I saw my PGY-5 year going? Not in a million years :rofl:

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Our state, like several others, is currently hitting record highs in number of COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths - way worse than they were in the Spring or Summer. We are heading toward shut downs with the Winter/holiday/flu season coming up quickly. For some reason, leaving the house and unnecessarily risking exposure to take a 4 hour test in a room full of strangers seems like an irresponsible thing to do... Has anyone heard any updates about whether the exams will be cancelled/postponed? Or, is it going to take a statewide stay-at-home order (which is unlikely) to close the testing centers? I'm so sick of all of this - the anxiety between studying for potential board exams (again) and the raging pandemic is really affecting all aspects of my life at this point. :dead:

Our state, like several others, is currently hitting record highs in number of COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths - way worse than they were in the Spring or Summer. We are heading toward shut downs with the Winter/holiday/flu season coming up quickly. For some reason, leaving the house and unnecessarily risking exposure to take a 4 hour test in a room full of strangers seems like an irresponsible thing to do... Has anyone heard any updates about whether the exams will be cancelled/postponed? Or, is it going to take a statewide stay-at-home order (which is unlikely) to close the testing centers? I'm so sick of all of this - the anxiety between studying for potential board exams (again) and the raging pandemic is really affecting all aspects of my life at this point. :dead:

with less than a month to go until the DEC dates, there is still time, but seems less likely they will move or cancel. It is looking like the people who signed up to take the test may have to risk it. i can’t imagine taking the test with a tight N95 for hours. the hypercapnia can’t be good for your brain!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I'm so sick of all of this - the anxiety between studying for potential board exams (again) and the raging pandemic is really affecting all aspects of my life at this point. :dead:

I think we're all at the end of our ropes at this point - I wish I could just enjoy a deadly, widespread, global pandemic WITHOUT high-stakes irrelevant exams which dictate my entire future hanging over my head.

1605215544763.png

• Haha
  • Care
Probably. Wouldn't really be fair if 2020 grads could finish up earlier than they typically would have sans COVID.

Hey all - anyone hear anything further about the written exam in December 2020? Any chance of it being rescheduled? Thanks in Advance.

Hey all - anyone hear anything further about the written exam in December 2020? Any chance of it being rescheduled? Thanks in Advance.

I think the general interpretation of the December 2020 written exams (radbio, physics, and clinical) is that:

1) They're set in stone as far as the ABR is concerned
2) Whether or not you get to take them is up to each state's government and/or Pearson Vue
- as in, Pearson as a company could decide to shut down or
- a state could decide to shut testing centers down within its borders
3) This means that someone who is scheduled to take the test in New York might be screwed if New York last-minute shuts down, but they could possibly still take the test if they, for example, find a seat in Pennsylvania (if PA is still open)
4) Because, in the ABR's mind, the April remote exam dates are set in stone as a fail-safe backup

Given that today is November 14th, and knowing the lag between new cases and hospitalizations, we're playing a dangerous game of chicken where I could see new lockdowns announced on like, December 5th.

5) If December exams get canceled, and you see some random person screaming on the street, throwing flashcards into the air yelling about the geometric penumbra of Co-60...that's me, I'm that person.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I think the general interpretation of the December 2020 written exams (radbio, physics, and clinical) is that:

2) Whether or not you get to take them is up to each state's government and/or Pearson Vue
3) This means that someone who is scheduled to take the test in New York might be screwed if New York last-minute shuts down, but they could possibly still take the test if they, for example, find a seat in Pennsylvania (if PA is still open)
4) Because, in the ABR's mind, the April remote exam dates are set in stone as a fail-safe backup

Given that today is November 14th, and knowing the lag between new cases and hospitalizations, we're playing a dangerous game of chicken where I could see new lockdowns announced on like, December 5th.

5) If December exams get canceled, and you see some random person screaming on the street, throwing flashcards into the air yelling about the geometric penumbra of Co-60...that's me, I'm that person.

5) Similarly, if the exams get cancelled and you see a person on the street screaming about oncology trials and the staging of Rhabdomyosarcoma and Neuroblastoma (that 4S!), it may be me.... or anyone from the class of 2020.

Otherwise, agreed. Fortunately I am scheduled to take it in a rural area.....?

• Haha

thanks!

5) Similarly, if the exams get cancelled and you see a person on the street screaming about oncology trials and the staging of Rhabdomyosarcoma and Neuroblastoma (that 4S!), it may be me.... or anyone from the class of 2020.

Otherwise, agreed. Fortunately I am scheduled to take it in a rural area.....?
im hoping the clinical exam is easier than radonc?s...... i had not heard of SO many of the references....

Not sure what the Pandora's box of this year will bring as far as exam difficulty but in reference to the above quoted, all I have to say is...

LOL
? After doing radonc?s bio and physics I moonwalked through those exams. I can't imagine they'd ask more esoteric, lameass **** on the actual boards. Unless, of course, LOL means, of course it will be easier.

Helpful hint: the answer will always be the smallest number...

? After doing radonc?s bio and physics I moonwalked through those exams. I can't imagine they'd ask more esoteric, lameass **** on the actual boards. Unless, of course, LOL means, of course it will be easier.

Helpful hint: the answer will always be the smallest number...
Depends on what year you took them. My class' clinical boards were complete esoteric bs and don't even get met started on the prior radbio/physics fiasco that has been immortalized forever.

Radonc Questions is great and has probably improved greatly on their radbio/physics since I used them, but the clinical boards were 75% unrelated garbage. Think much more like inservice. If it had been like Radonc Questions the test would have been more legitimate. Bottom line most of you should do fine but it can be frustrating.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on what year you took them. My class' clinical boards were complete esoteric bs and don't even get met started on the prior radbio/physics fiasco that has been immortalized forever.

Radonc Questions is great and has probably improved greatly on their radbio/physics since I used them, but the clinical boards were 75% unrelated garbage. Think much more like inservice. If it had been like Radonc Questions the test would have been more legitimate. Bottom line most of you should do fine but it can be frustrating.

The way one of my friends described it to me the other day (comparing RadOncQuestions to the ABR exams):

"The difference between ROQ's and the boards is that ROQ's seem to be written by someone who cares. Like, the questions make sense, they're logical. The boards feel like they're written by people who don't speak English, and don't care to learn the language."

So, the general impression I have at this point is 1) memorize the factoids from ROQ's but 2) don't expect well written stems like ROQ's.

I guess we'll all see soon, eh?

• Haha
The way one of my friends described it to me the other day (comparing RadOncQuestions to the ABR exams):

"The difference between ROQ's and the boards is that ROQ's seem to be written by someone who cares. Like, the questions make sense, they're logical. The boards feel like they're written by people who don't speak English, and don't care to learn the language."

So, the general impression I have at this point is 1) memorize the factoids from ROQ's but 2) don't expect well written stems like ROQ's.

I guess we'll all see soon, eh?
Yeah, soon or April! Stress + Mask = strange combo.

Is there anyone planning on taking written clinical April 2021 and orals Sept 2021? If so, when would the Oral Boards Review courses **potentially** be