Academic Enhancers - Best Post-baccs / SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

paintbucketgreen

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am a 4th year Human Biology major graduating from UC Irvine this June with about a 3.4 overall and 3.4 science GPA (CA resident). I was thinking about applying for a post-bacc program (preferably in California) to boost my GPA and demonstrate to med schools that I am able to handle rigorous science course material. I have been demonstrating a strong upward trend during my last two years of undergrad, but since I am taking one gap year (likely two) I definitely want to spend one of those years dedicating my time towards a post bacc program and improving my GPA as best as I can. I am looking for academic enhancer programs, as I have taken all of the required pre-req courses for med school already. The basic pre-reqs are the courses I didn't do well in (freshman, sophomore year courses like orgo, genetics, molecular bio, etc), so I also want to redeem myself a little bit in that aspect. I got mostly B, B-, and a couple of C+'s.

I have also heard about SMP programs. Can anyone recommend the best formal post-bacc programs in California, and also explain what the differences/advantages/disadvantages of an SMP program vs. formal post bacc would be for an applicant like me?


---Also, have not yet taken the MCAT. I don't know if this matters when applying to academic enhancer programs.