Academic Enhancers - Best Post-baccs / SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paintbucketgreen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 4th year Human Biology major graduating from UC Irvine this June with about a 3.4 overall and 3.4 science GPA (CA resident). I was thinking about applying for a post-bacc program (preferably in California) to boost my GPA and demonstrate to med schools that I am able to handle rigorous science course material. I have been demonstrating a strong upward trend during my last two years of undergrad, but since I am taking one gap year (likely two) I definitely want to spend one of those years dedicating my time towards a post bacc program and improving my GPA as best as I can. I am looking for academic enhancer programs, as I have taken all of the required pre-req courses for med school already. The basic pre-reqs are the courses I didn't do well in (freshman, sophomore year courses like orgo, genetics, molecular bio, etc), so I also want to redeem myself a little bit in that aspect. I got mostly B, B-, and a couple of C+'s.

I have also heard about SMP programs. Can anyone recommend the best formal post-bacc programs in California, and also explain what the differences/advantages/disadvantages of an SMP program vs. formal post bacc would be for an applicant like me?

---Also, have not yet taken the MCAT. I don't know if this matters when applying to academic enhancer programs.

Members don't see this ad.