This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeff Willcox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote a thesis proposal for an honor's class 3 semesters ago. My proposal was over the organic chemistry research I would be doing under a former professor. He sent my a imcomplete document with the research I would be performing under him and used his mission statement and methods as a part of the thesis proposal. However, using his research name as the title of the paper and discussing in the paper that the research I would be doing was his, at the time I didn't think he needed to be cited. I turned the paper in, received an A for the class and moved on until this week. I gave me research proposal to my research instructor, asking him to look over it for any advice he may have before I start writing my thesis. Unfortunately, he turned me in to my professor for plagiarizing his work without my knowledge. This has completely devasted and shocked me. After talking with the professor I wrote this paper for, she has decided to file a report on me for academic misconduct, but hasn't decided whether she will change my grade or not in the class. I have written formal apologies to both professors and have proactively attended a workshop on plagiarism and received a certificate after passing an exam for the course.

Given that this has all happened after submitting my primary and secondary applications to several medical school I don't know what to do. She won't submit the form of academic misconduct until either December or January for different reasons. What do I say to the medical schools I have applied to already and one of my interviews is this weekend? If I were to appeal this, do I have to inform the medical schools during the appeals process or can I wait until afterwards? What if I get accepted before this process is through? Both professors said they would write a letter on my behalf explaining the circumstances, and explain this was not a malicious or intentional action as well as back up my character as a student. Do I even have a chance of going to medical school now because of a simple human mistake?

What can I do now, if anything, to show medical schools that I am sincere about this and this isn't an action the describes my character?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, he turned me in to my professor for plagiarizing his work without my knowledge.

The same guy who decided to turn you in for plagiarizing his work is saying he will write to med schools backing up your character? Or are they two different people?

Members don't see this ad :)
Please break up the walls of text.

Proofread so that your post is more easily understood.

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm trying to help you help us help you.

It doesn't sound like this should be too much of an issue, but it is likely something you should report.

Reactions: 1 user
your post isn't readable I hope your application wasn't written as poorly

i agree with above; having both professors write for you is a big positive

What I don't understand is that these professors are involved in academic misconduct proceedings against you, yet they recognize that it was an honest mistake with no intention to plagiarize or malice. Even still, they are pushing forward with something that can not only damage your standing as a student, but potentially affect your career as well. Why don't they simply educate you that you still need to cite the P.I. and just lower your grade if they feel like "something has to be done?"

Also, from what I understood in your post, you gave credit to the professor but did not cite them directly. Seems they are blowing this out of proportion.

What I don't understand is that these professors are involved in academic misconduct proceedings against you, yet they recognize that it was an honest mistake with no intention to plagiarize or malice. Even still, they are pushing forward with something that can not only damage your standing as a student, but potentially affect your career as well. Why don't they simply educate you that you still need to cite the P.I. and just lower your grade if they feel like "something has to be done?"

Also, from what I understood in your post, you gave credit to the professor but did not cite them directly. Seems they are blowing this out of proportion.

I agree with you, but a lot of professors are required to report "unintentional" plagiarism. I do think the professor should have just called the OP in and discussed his concerns with him/her.

I have a pre-med friend who was flagged for academic misconduct. She just integrated the professor's statement into one of her sentences in a homework assignment (it was only 7 words long). It was completely unfair for her to be charged of the crime and she broke down pretty hard. She's doing fine now and still wants to go to medical school. Seeing that you have two professors who are willing to stand up for you, I think you will be fine in terms of acceptance in my opinion...

Because of stories like these, I believe schools should never automatically charge students with academic misconduct for plagiarism for an assignment unless it was a particularly flagrant case (such as copy/pasting large portions in the assignment). High schools do a poor job at educating students about proper citation and what constitutes plagiarism. Universities don't always do a good job at educating students about this either, depending on the major. A warning should always be issued to the student, and it should be used as a learning opportunity in order to make the student more successful in the future while preventing any future instances of plagiarism. I know many students that don't even know what parenthetical citation is. Lazy professors just grade their papers, and this just reinforces that not placing parenthetical citations is okay. Imagine what will happen when said students have papers graded by strict professors that will automatically throw them under the bus for plagiarism.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If someone could dig up the fine print on the AMCAS, we might be able to find out whether you're obligated to disclose this information ASAP, and whether this information is something to be disclosed at the moment. I would think that the best course of action for you is to continue interviewing in your cycle as you would have, and when the report gets filed, contact the admissions offices of each school you applied to and explain your situation.

He sent my a imcomplete document with the research I would be performing under him and used his mission statement and methods as a part of the thesis proposal. However, using his research name as the title of the paper and discussing in the paper that the research I would be doing was his, at the time I didn't think he needed to be cited.

According to your story, you handed in an incomplete thesis/research proposal to Professor. The professor then used his own mission statement/methods as part of the thesis proposal? But you named your paper after his research name? What does that even mean? You definitely need to calm down and communicate coherently instead of posting this equivalence of verbal diarrhea. Nobody is interested in reading your stream-of-consciousness post, and even less inclined to help after seeing just how little effort you put into asking for help.