Academic Review and the EPPP - Am I using the study materials appropriately?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groupthink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you used the Academic Review EPPP study materials, I would greatly appreciate some feedback.

I am taking the following approach to studying:

1. Read the AR book entry for a domain
2. Complete all Domain Quiz questions in the online AR component in Study Mode
3. Supplement by studying this domain using the EPPP Flashcard App
4. Repeat until I've studied 2 domains, then take a practice exam.

My concern with this approach is that the questions used on the AR Practice Exams are the EXACT questions used in the Domain Quizzes. So when I am taking a Practice Exam, I immediately recognize the question from when I was taking the Domain Quiz and can pinpoint the answer without even reading the entire question.

Suffice to say, I obtained a 55% on my initial Diagnostic Exam, but a 65% on my first Practice Exam in which I obtained a 100% in both Ethics and Diagnosis/Psychopathology, because I recognized every single question from having studied them in the Quiz mode.

I'm doing my darndest to cover up the multiple choice answers and recall/explain (instead of engaging recognition) the answer for questions like that. And for those where I immediately "see" the answer, I try to provide the rationale for it.

But still, immediately recognizing questions/answers makes me worried that I am using the AR materials incorrectly.

I would greatly appreciate feedback on my approach from others who implemented the AR online program in their study regimen for the EPPP.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I studied mainly using a set of secondhand AR books and supplemented with AATBS flash cards. That sequence sounds pretty similar to what I did, except I took the full practice tests less often (I only had access to a few). I made a schedule and worked my way through all the sections.

While reading the study guides I made handwritten outlines as I went along. If there were any terms or concepts that weren't fully clear to me (for example, this happened at times in the I/O section where I had little training) then I looked up more info in review papers, textbooks, etc.

It's unfortunate that the items get repetitive, but what you're experiencing is normal. Try to get your hands on a few free practice tests from other sources and make sure your performance on those is in the same ballpark.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I studied for the EPPP by exclusively taking practice tests. The advice I got was to take a test and score it, then later on take it again and compare your score. If you are doing 10-20% better on the retake, then that indicates learning the material. You're essentially doing that strategy now, so I would be on the lookout for questions/domains that you are consistently missing even after the retake so that you can study those areas in more depth.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if there is a difference, but I used the Academic Review materials as well (both the new online materials and an older book) and took all of the quizzes from the book. I took online quizzes here and there, but I wonder if those questions are different enough that I did not notice the same questions coming up on the online exams?

I'm not sure if there is a difference, but I used the Academic Review materials as well (both the new online materials and an older book) and took all of the quizzes from the book. I took online quizzes here and there, but I wonder if those questions are different enough that I did not notice the same questions coming up on the online exams?

There are quizzes in some of the book chapters, but they have maybe 5-7 questions each. The Clinical Psychology book chapters did not have any quizzes, but the online Academic Review Domain Quiz section had 305 quiz questions.

I reviewed all 305 online quiz questions for Clinical Psych. When I take the AR exams, every Clinical Psych question is from the bank of 305 quiz questions. So I immediately recognize the question and its associated answer, since I answered it and read the rationale before.

I feel as if I am studying "for the AR exams" rather than "for the EPPP" since I recognize the questions, but not necessarily the correct answer.

You do have to be careful about not getting attached to specific wording as your cues for answers because, as you clearly understand, if a similar question is on the EPPP the wording will of course be different. The "right" way to use the materials really depends on your learning style. I am a hands on learner, and I don't retain much information simply by reading it, so I actually used the study materials to create my own, distilled study guide. I didn't actually use the guide all that much, the act of creating it was my primary study method. Adapt the materials to what you know works for you.