Accelerated Nursing Programs Question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERLover

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys, would any of you happen to know where I can find a list of BSN or non BSN accelerated nursing programs in California for people who have a B.S./B.A. already. Or would you guys happen to know of any? How about out of state programs? If I am a Ca resident, will they be too expensive?

Thanks

Jorge

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know much of any in CA, but there are several in Tx. An easy way to check is to check online about the nursing schools in the area. When you get the school you can check their website to see if they have an ABSN program.

Hello Guys, would any of you happen to know where I can find a list of BSN or non BSN accelerated nursing programs in California for people who have a B.S./B.A. already. Or would you guys happen to know of any? How about out of state programs? If I am a Ca resident, will they be too expensive?

Thanks

Jorge

Hey, Jorge!

Here is a list of all the accelerated programs in the country: www.aacn.nche.edu

Good luck!
Izzy

Members don't see this ad :)
As a CA resident doing her accelerated program in MD, I can tell you, they are few and far between. In fact, this is the first year that my program has more students from California than from Maryland.

UCLA's program is fairly new and has some pretty elaborate requirements (if memory serves) so you may have fewer people applying to that program than, say, UCSF. :luck:

Oh, and Samuel Merritt (in Oakland) does a lottery to accept students. They don't go based on how competitive you are as an applicant. Could be a good thing, could be a bad thing.

It is AMAZING how quickly those programs have grown....

As another one who had to fly the Caifornia coop for ABSN---just a few short years ago there were, if memory serves, a total of 2 ABSN's in CA and maybe 4 ELM's. The majority of which were down south which to me was like going outta state anyway so what was the diff?

Anyyway, I definitely would have been more likely to choose an ELM had there been one closer to me. I just didn't want to commit at the time to at least two years far away somewhere(Vandy and U of R I got into) so I just went w/a one year program in a place I have noooooooo fond memories of.

I now also really wish I had just gone straight though to APN when I had the chance because, having been out there a while now, I am less and less motivated and have lost any enchantment w/this nursing gig and can't muster up the desire to pile on more.

Where do all the third career people go? :)

(and I know it ain't med school for this one)

Anyyway, I definitely would have been more likely to choose an ELM had there been one closer to me. I just didn't want to commit at the time to at least two years far away somewhere(Vandy and U of R I got into) so I just went w/a one year program in a place I have noooooooo fond memories of.

I am genuinely sorry you feel this way. I love being in nursing school more than anything else I have done to date. (and I am not that young)

Samuel Merritt has an accelerated BSN. So do many of the CSUs... In fact, Sac State just started theirs, I believe (read: cheaper).
Another place to consider: University of Nevada, Reno. They give a "good neighbor" policy to Truckee residents, so you're not paying out of state tuition.

There are also a ton of RN programs, a couple accelerated (Truckee Meadows Community College, for example, and I think Sac City College also has an accelerated program through Sutter Health: www.losrios.edu can direct you to their information).

Good luck! :luck: