acceptance confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurept80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm pretty new to this forum but looking at the types of posts i figured it would be a good way to get some feedback in making my decision for pt school.

I recently got accepted to the DPT program at USC. For the past 3 years its been my dream to go there. Not only do they give you so many research opportunities and a network that many other schools don't, but the PT's that I have worked with who are from USC are phenomenal and really know their stuff. I would love to go there, but their tuition is ridiculous!!! (around 47K the first 2 years and 28k the 3rd...and 'm pretty sure tuition will go up in the years to come :(). My family isn't one that has much money and most of the financial responsiblity from PT school would be placed upon me. My 2nd choice, CHapman (and the only other school that I applied to), has yet to get back to me. ALthough they are also a private school, their tuition is half that of SC's (~27k) and I wouldn't be in as much debt compared to SC.....for the most part i'm just confused... i really want to go to USC, but i don't want to be in a financial hole the rest of my life...is my dream really worth all the money?!!?!...any advice that anyone could give me would be great...and if you know of anything regarding Chapmans program that would be helpful also since i don't know anyone from that program...thanks and good luck to everyone!:)

Members don't see this ad.

OK I might get burned here, BUT in general if you go to a good school (#1), you will have a higher chance of getting above average paying job. You might be in the hole $150k, but afterwards you might get a comparable job to pay that loan off faster then the rest. Like I said many people might make laugh at me here, but if School is big name = Jobs in future are higher paying.

MY comparison would be go to Harvard you won't land a job that will give you less then 100k. (Have a cousin that went there for MPH and lets say he just bought his Porsche gt2 at 28yrs old.)

I would definitely attend USC, worst case you get the avg pay, but chances are greater in getting a much higher pay, and many more opportunities.

This is me and my 2cents.

So i'm pretty new to this forum but looking at the types of posts i figured it would be a good way to get some feedback in making my decision for pt school.

I recently got accepted to the DPT program at USC. For the past 3 years its been my dream to go there. Not only do they give you so many research opportunities and a network that many other schools don't, but the PT's that I have worked with who are from USC are phenomenal and really know their stuff. I would love to go there, but their tuition is ridiculous!!! (around 47K the first 2 years and 28k the 3rd...and 'm pretty sure tuition will go up in the years to come :(). My family isn't one that has much money and most of the financial responsiblity from PT school would be placed upon me. My 2nd choice, CHapman (and the only other school that I applied to), has yet to get back to me. ALthough they are also a private school, their tuition is half that of SC's (~27k) and I wouldn't be in as much debt compared to SC.....for the most part i'm just confused... i really want to go to USC, but i don't want to be in a financial hole the rest of my life...is my dream really worth all the money?!!?!...any advice that anyone could give me would be great...and if you know of anything regarding Chapmans program that would be helpful also since i don't know anyone from that program...thanks and good luck to everyone!:)

First of all congrats on getting into USC! Both Chapman and USC are great programs. I've seen therapists and interns from Chapman and they are amazing! I have heard nothing but good things from the people who have gone through their program. IMO, go to USC. It's what you've been dreaming of for three years! Right now, I'm assuming you aren't going to be starting a family for a couple years. So why not go? Yes, the tuition is expensive but do you always want to be wondering what if you had gone there. Also remember that many people have gone through their program, come out with a lot of debt and have managed to pay it off. Either way you can't miss with either school.
BTW would you please post your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance to USC. I would say go to USC, even though the tuition will be ridiculous. I volunteered at a major hospital this past year and the supervisor was from USC. I also worked part time for a PT-owned clinic and the owner was from USC. I think I can honestly say that alumni from USC have connections and know how to work the system. The advice the PT clinic owner gave me in terms of school choice was, "If you want to someday run your own clinic, go to USC, if you want to work for someone else go to another school." I hope this helps in your decision.

As for myself I have not heard back from USC or Chapman =( I have however gotten interviews for University of the Pacific, Samuel Merritt, UCSF, and Western University. I guess I will find out soon if I will get in after my interviews.

Disagree with most of the above posts - it is not where you went to school, but the fact that you have graduated from a school somewhere and have a license to practice PT that generally matters to your future employer. Where you went to school usually has little impact on your salary. Your employer makes money based on how much money you generate for the clinic/hospital, etc. Blue Cross/Blue Shield pays a PT who graduated from USC and one who graduated from anywhere else the exact same amount of money for a spinal manipulation.

The advice the PT clinic owner gave me in terms of school choice was, "If you want to someday run your own clinic, go to USC, if you want to work for someone else go to another school." /QUOTE]
I can't directly comment on this because I'm not sure if USC has some more business classes than other PT programs, but if they don't, than I can't see the sense in this statement.

I'd recommend that you go to school where you want to go, but don't have any expectation that a degree from one school, no matter how well marketed and presented, will effect your future financial situation much in the long term.

Regardless of what some people may have led you to believe, school choice is no guarantee on starting salary when a person graduates.

As far as school choice, go where you want to go. Sure you may be buried under a little more debt at USC, but who cares? Just remember that eventually you'll get out from under it.

If you've dreamed of going to USC, go there. Then look into positions offering loan forgiveness in undeserved areas. I feel that is the best way to both help pay for school and give back...

Good luck with your decision. Both schools are great!

Disagree with most of the above posts - it is not where you went to school, but the fact that you have graduated from a school somewhere and have a license to practice PT that generally matters to your future employer. Where you went to school usually has little impact on your salary. Your employer makes money based on how much money you generate for the clinic/hospital, etc. Blue Cross/Blue Shield pays a PT who graduated from USC and one who graduated from anywhere else the exact same amount of money for a spinal manipulation.

The advice the PT clinic owner gave me in terms of school choice was, "If you want to someday run your own clinic, go to USC, if you want to work for someone else go to another school."
I can't directly comment on this because I'm not sure if USC has some more business classes than other PT programs, but if they don't, than I can't see the sense in this statement.

I'd recommend that you go to school where you want to go, but don't have any expectation that a degree from one school, no matter how well marketed and presented, will effect your future financial situation much in the long term.

I agree with your statement. If I had a chance I would attend a state school because it is cheaper. I am not rich by any standards, so money is a big factor. I was just merely stating that USC has a great alumni network. I notice that most of the hospitals in my local area all have supervisors or directors that graduated from USC. There is no direct correlation between which school you attend and your salary. That is a fact, I was just stating an observation I have.

When I volunteered at the hospitals I noticed PTs from all different schools working together. As for the statement made by my boss it is his opinion. I was merely stating what an alumni presumed the difference was between a state and USC education was. When running his business he needs to maintain contact and network with physicians to keep the referrals coming in for his business. USC has a large medical school, so a lot of physicians in the area are alumni. I am assuming his opinion stems from his experience building his referral network with these physcians. I am not sure about the business classes as well, but they do have a top notch and well ranked business school.

In your last statement, I agree with that as well. If it was me I would go to the state school and let my work pay for it. No bills = road to financial security and more $$$ for other things.

Both opinions are correct. A school can help you with a high paying job or not. It will boil down to how good a PT you are.

If you go to a big name school and pass with min marks, you wont land a high paying job. But on the other hand if you go to a big school and are top of the class you will.

I have to agree with the person that said USC has a better network of Alum, and they overall have better connections. In the end it's WHO YOU KNOW NOT WHAT YOU KNOW. Ins company can pay $100 to a USC grad PT or a state school grad PT, but Salary is not solely based on how much INS company gives out, even thou it might be a majority, it's not the only way of income for the hospital/clinic.

There will be better opportunites at a Big name school grad compared to a not so well known school grad. This is true for almost any field. If this wasn't true, why would anyone go to a Big name school???

Anyway, this is my opinion, and I am not trying to start an argument. :)

125k to 150k set back in loans will be a LOT coming out of PT school. I have just less than half that, am 2 years out, and its a real pain in the a**. If you were to take a regular fixed payment plan, that would come out around 1200-1400 monthly I believe; with an extended plan maybe 800/month for 20-30 yrs? Too much, IMO
Get a license, it's the only thing that truly matters unless you intend on joining academia, at which point you'd be better of with an academic doctorate. I've seen many fellow grads in my practice area from big prestigious BU, Northeastern, Quinipiac, etc, making the same as me; no different.