Acceptance rate vs. matriculation rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hookgrip

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The MSAR provides the # of applicants for each school, the # interviewed, and the # who eventually matriculate. However, it does not give the actual # of applicants who are accepted.

I know the # of acceptances must be higher than the # of matriculants at any med school, simply because some people get in but choose a different school, but is there any kind of correlation between the two #s? In general, about how much higher is the acceptance rate for a school compared to the matriculation rate?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard it is around 30-50% accepted from interviews for most schools

It depends on the school, I have a book that gives that info and it's generally about 2/3 of those interviewed are accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the school, I have a book that gives that info and it's generally about 2/3 of those interviewed are accepted.

This number seems very high....I would imagine this includes people accepted off of the waitlist?

Wow, so it would seem that the hard part is getting the interview, since you have a 30-50% chance of being accepted at most schools once you get the interview?

Wow, so it would seem that the hard part is getting the interview, since you have a 30-50% chance of being accepted at most schools once you get the interview?

This is generally true, however, remember that means 50-70% get waitlisted/rejected post interview, and the interviewed pool is much more competitive than the general applicant pool, so an interview invite is by no means a guarantee of an acceptance.

I was told by an adcom at my last interview that most schools send 2 to 2.5 acceptances for every spot in their class.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a good find. It is interesting to see the difference between acceptance and matriculation for IS and OOS at public schools.

This is a list of highest to lowest average MCAT score according to the column titles.

But if you click on the school you get all the details US News give you. :rolleyes:

Schools vary incredibly on the number of spots and interviews they give. Some schools accept nearly the entirety of their interview pool, whereas some schools only accept about one in six of those interviewed. When using MSAR, the best approximation I've found is taking the number of matriculates and multiplying it by two. Schools generally accept about twice as many as they matriculate, though this number still varies. Namely, state schools tend to accept less than 200% of their matriculates, and upper tier privates tend to accept more than 200% of their matriculates. Usually doubling the matriculates is still a pretty good (if not the best) quick approximation I know of.

All the state schools in texas have a 40% or better post-interview acceptance rate. TAMU, UT-San Antonio, and TCOM in particular eventually accepted more than 70% of their interview pool last year.

The proportion of interviewees admitted is different than the proportion of admitted students who matriculate.

The proportion of admitted students who matriculate is called the "yield". Schools that chase the very top of the pool but don't catch many will have a lower yield (a larger multiplier to the number of seats to fill) than a school that is very popular and doesnt' get turned down by many of the applicants it admits. Some schools will improve their yield by giving offers only to those who bow down and kiss the feet of the adcom with update letters and begging (this could also mean making few offers and pulling most of the students from the waitlist). The problem with that strategy is that students who got in elsewhere may say "the hell with your waitlist" and leave the waitlist for an offer they have in hand leaving the waitlist populated with applicants no one else wanted. So, the only school to use that strategy might be very top tier and the state schools who admit only in-state students. The mid-range privates and the OOS-friendly state schools are going to make 2-3 offers per seat with the hope of filling with the best without going over.

The proportion of interviewees admitted is different than the proportion of admitted students who matriculate.

The proportion of admitted students who matriculate is called the "yield". Schools that chase the very top of the pool but don't catch many will have a lower yield (a larger multiplier to the number of seats to fill) than a school that is very popular and doesnt' get turned down by many of the applicants it admits. Some schools will improve their yield by giving offers only to those who bow down and kiss the feet of the adcom with update letters and begging (this could also mean making few offers and pulling most of the students from the waitlist). The problem with that strategy is that students who got in elsewhere may say "the hell with your waitlist" and leave the waitlist for an offer they have in hand leaving the waitlist populated with applicants no one else wanted. So, the only school to use that strategy might be very top tier and the state schools who admit only in-state students. The mid-range privates and the OOS-friendly state schools are going to make 2-3 offers per seat with the hope of filling with the best without going over.

What is the acceptance rate from the waitlist at Georgetown?

I heard it is around 30-50% accepted from interviews for most schools

Why haven't you gotten accepted yet? Your MCAT and GPA are outstanding. It was your EC's right.....?

It looks like this website just stole information from US news.

And I think that the info is self-reported.

In at least one case, I believe that Asians are included within the category of "minority". That's the only way I can believe that 63% of one top tier school ends up classified as "minority".

It seems like Cleveland Clinic has one of the lowest post-interview acceptance rates. 32 initial acceptances + ~10-20 more off the waitlist. About 250 interviews are given out per year. This works out to about a 18% acceptance rate after the interview stage.

What's also interesting is that for quite a few state schools, assuming you get an interview offer, the acceptance rate after the interview is almost the same between in-state and out of state applicants.