Acceptance Stats for Class of 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
491 MCAT, 3.67 CGPA, 3.63 SGPA
4000 hrs as an MA for an MD office. 200 hrs internship, 500 hrs volunteer, 200 hrs shadowing MD, DPM

Applied to CPMS, AzPod, Western, Barry, and Kent. II invited to all 5. Interviewed with Western 11/20, accepted offer 11/21.

Anyone else attending Western next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I decided on Western because it will be the cheapest school for me and Socal is the area I want to work in once I graduate. But I agree with you, it was a toss up for me, I say look over cost and where you think you'll be happiest during your 4 years!
I'll be attending Western next year too

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using SDN mobile

491 MCAT, 3.67 CGPA, 3.63 SGPA
4000 hrs as an MA for an MD office. 200 hrs internship, 500 hrs volunteer, 200 hrs shadowing MD, DPM

Applied to CPMS, AzPod, Western, Barry, and Kent. II invited to all 5. Interviewed with Western 11/20, accepted offer 11/21.

Anyone else attending Western next year?
Why did you pick WesternU?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you pick WesternU?
I chose WesternU because I have relatives in LA, as well as my wife getting a job offer there. I like the food and the weather here. Everything on campus is walking distance. The faculty and the campus is nice and clean. Lectures are recorded so that's a plus. I also have the option to do my rotations at UCLA Medical Center, where one of my MD relatives work there.

Reactions: 2 users
So guys I just submitted my application to all schools except for Des Moines. I’m soooo overwhelmed right now & constantly feel like I missed something out lol. How long does it usually take to have a complete status on the application? Also, what are your thoughts on my chances to any school?

Gpa: 3.85
Mcat: 488 (yikes)
2 semesters research
200 hours DO shadowing, 144 hours hospital shadowing (abroad), 36 hours DPM shadowing.
Evaluations: committee letter, one from my research professor, one from DPM.
International student

So guys I just submitted my application to all schools except for Des Moines. I’m soooo overwhelmed right now & constantly feel like I missed something out lol. How long does it usually take to have a complete status on the application? Also, what are your thoughts on my chances to any school?

t
You're fine.

Is there a reason for the disconnect between GPA and MCAT?

You’ll get into a school, but be prepared to explain that MCAT.

MaKe sure this is what you want and are just not using the DPM degree as a substitute. It’s fine to use as an alternative to DO, but not in place of it. If you score a 500 on the MCAT, you could get into a DO school.

2 semesters research
200 hours DO shadowing, 144 hours hospital shadowing (abroad), 36 hours DPM shadowing.
International student

2 semesters research
International student
Since you are an international student, schools will require a TOEFL score so make sure you have that.

Like the post above mentioned above they will ask why the low MCAT score. However, your GPA is good. It took them 4 days to verify my application since I sent in my transcript and MCAT score in advance.

They will ask questions like why shadow a DO when you are applying to podiatry, what you see at the podiatry office that was interesting, and why the specific school?

I was thinking that they may ask me about my mcat & why I don’t want to retake it.

Tbh I didn’t do well on the mcat because I was really sick that day & voiding my score wasn’t an option. I’m not sure what to tell them if they ask me why don’t I want to retake my mcat. It’s honestly because I don’t want to & I don’t think this test shows my passion for podiatry or medicine in general.

I was thinking that they may ask me about my mcat & why I don’t want to retake it.

Tbh I didn’t do well on the mcat because I was really sick that day & voiding my score wasn’t an option. I’m not sure what to tell them if they ask me why don’t I want to retake my mcat. It’s honestly because I don’t want to & I don’t think this test shows my passion for podiatry or medicine in general.
First time taking the MCAT I got the same score. I called several schools for advice and they said to go ahead and apply, since a number of their students has gotten in with lower scores. I retook the MCAT and got a 491. Didn't bother to retake it again for the 3rd time and just went with it. Several Podiatrists I talked to said most schools won't really stress your MCAT unless they have a joint DO program where DPM students are taking classes with the DO's.

Don't stress out and focus on practicing your interviews. Let us know if and when you get in.

As an international student, how will you be funding your education?
You may qualify for scholarships due to your high GPA and a better MCAT score.

As an international student, how will you be funding your education?
You may qualify for scholarships due to your high GPA and a better MCAT score.

I got the funding taken care of, but of course I NEED some scholarships even if it’s few thousands.

First time taking the MCAT I got the same score. I called several schools for advice and they said to go ahead and apply, since a number of their students has gotten in with lower scores. I retook the MCAT and got a 491. Didn't bother to retake it again for the 3rd time and just went with it. Several Podiatrists I talked to said most schools won't really stress your MCAT unless they have a joint DO program where DPM students are taking classes with the DO's.

Don't stress out and focus on practicing your interviews. Let us know if and when you get in.

What do you think I should say if they ask me why didn’t I retake the mcat? I don’t wanna tell them because I didn’t want to & that I wanted to focus on my semester only (I took the mcat first week of September), I don’t wanna appear weak to them by saying that.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think I should say if they ask me why didn’t I retake the mcat? I don’t wanna tell them because I didn’t want to & that I wanted to focus on my semester only (I took the mcat first week of September), I don’t wanna appear weak to them by saying that.
For me, I told because I was working 2 jobs, going to school, and volunteering on the weekend while studying for the MCAT. Come up with something that appear logical that you have tried your best to fit studying for the MCAT into your schedule, but just didn't work out.

2 semesters research
International student

I had lower gpa and lower MCAT than yours. I took it twice and both of my scores were lower than your 1st try. However, my scores increased by couple points and they saw my improvement. They asked me what I did the last time to increase my score and I said I worked on my timing. That's all they asked me about MCAT. My only recommendation is to retake it at least once and see how you do.

Several Podiatrists I talked to said most schools won't really stress your MCAT unless they have a joint DO program where DPM students are taking classes with the DO's.

Interesting. Have never heard of that.

Some of the non-DO programs have the highest MCAT averages.

That being said, I also had many podiatrists tell me not to go to podiatric medical school and I should quit and go to dental or PA instead.

Mileage may vary.

I don’t think this test shows my passion for podiatry or medicine in general.

This test isn't meant to evaluate someone's passion.

It is meant to see if you are intellectually capable of passing boards and disciplined enough to study for it.

I understand you don't like the test. But you will take many board exams and re-licensing exams in this field.

To ignore it because it does not represent how much you like the field is a bit far fetched.

Learn to beat it. Conquer it. Get that scholarship money. You owe it to yourself to beat things thing even if you hate it.

Feelings are a moot point.

Reactions: 4 users

It is meant to see if you are intellectually capable of passing boards and disciplined enough to study for it.

I understand you don't like the test. But you will take many board exams and re-licensing exams in this field.

To ignore it because it does not represent how much you like the field is a bit far fetched.

Learn to beat it. Conquer it. Get that scholarship money. You owe it to yourself to beat things thing even if you hate it.

What was their reasoning for advising you to pursue other careers instead? I’ve had podiatrists as well tell me that. And it’s really upsetting.

I also had many podiatrists tell me not to go to podiatric medical school and I should quit and go to dental or PA instead.

Yeah I’m wondering that too. Why did they say that? It’s making me discouraged about this whole thing, although the pod I shadowed never told me anything like this...

You will meet many health professionals who will tell you not to pursue their program whether it be MD, DO, DMD, etc. Yes, podiatry does have its weaknesses and limitations, but it has been getting better and will hopefully be even better when we enter the workforce. The podiatrists I shadowed who loved their job versus the ones who did not have as much enthusiasm were doctors who were trained at excellent residency programs and were confident to utilize everything they learned at those programs in their respective practices. So, it is up to the individual to do well in school, match into a great program, make good decisions about job offers, and be the best doctor that they can be. Do not fall prey to confirmation bias and only linger onto anecdotal cons of podiatry; it is a beautiful field and I look forward to starting school next year!

Reactions: 8 users
You will meet many health professionals who will tell you not to pursue their program whether it be MD, DO, DMD, etc. Yes, podiatry does have its weaknesses and limitations, but it has been getting better and will hopefully be even better when we enter the workforce. The podiatrists I shadowed who loved their job versus the ones who did not have as much enthusiasm were doctors who were trained at excellent residency programs and were confident to utilize everything they learned at those programs in their respective practices. So, it is up to the individual to do well in school, match into a great program, make good decisions about job offers, and be the best doctor that they can be. Do not fall prey to confirmation bias and only linger onto anecdotal cons of podiatry; it is a beautiful field and I look forward to starting school next year!
♥️

I completely agree with what @justici said.

Yes, there are cons to this profession. Lowering disbursements, getting hospitals to realize what you are capable to refer cases to you, podiatrists in private practice who think 50k a year + a dismal bonus structure with no insurance coverage is a good offer. Tons of **** you will have to deal with.

That being said- I picked this field realizing it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine. You will have to work harder to earn the amount of money you want that would have come easier with an MD/DO degree (generally speaking).

I am perfectly ok with that. Be competent. Work hard. Be nice to everyone.

I completely agree with what @justici said.

Yes, there are cons to this profession. Lowering disbursements, getting hospitals to realize what you are capable to refer cases to you, podiatrists in private practice who think 50k a year + a dismal bonus structure with no insurance coverage is a good offer. Tons of **** you will have to deal with.

That being said- I picked this field realizing it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine. You will have to work harder to earn the amount of money you want that would have come easier with an MD/DO degree (generally speaking).

I am perfectly ok with that. Be competent. Work hard. Be nice to everyone.
Before applying to podiatry, I was told by several schools the new average median salary is 199k? Is that true? If so what type of podiatrist makes that kinda impressive amount? Or is it location of practice that can foretale that?

Before applying to podiatry, I was told by several schools the new average median salary is 199k? Is that true? If so what type of podiatrist makes that kinda impressive amount? Or is it location of practice that can foretale that?
It is many things.

Go to the resident and attending section on here.

Read through some of the job threads, salary questions, so on so forth.

Read, do not comment.

How tough are Pod tests?

Hi guys!
I got accepted in October so I wanted to share some stats!
I applied to all schools, and got asked to interview at all of them.
I went to interview at Western and Midwestern. Western let me know I was accepted the very next day with 5k scholarship , and Midwestern let me know a couple days later.
I will be attending Midwestern :)

My school stats and Info
GPA:3.55, sGPA 3.27 (something around this, I may be slightly off)
I was in a bad car accident and suffered from back injuries and a severe concussion last spring and took a GPA drop, from a 3.77 to a 3.55
Graduating undergrad in only 3 years at age 20. (no summer or interterm classes taken)
Division 1 soccer player for entirety of college, all-academic team honors
Current internships: UCSF Sandler Neuroscience Lab Research Assistant (~1 year)
Feminine health intern with Queen V (~6 months)
Past Internship: Army/Airforce full time intern in Washington over summer (~200 hours)
Volunteering: Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy
Red Cross
Clubs: Student-Athlete Advisory Committee member and conference representative for West Coast Conference in NCAA
Women in Science

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys!
I went to interview at Western and Midwestern. Western let me know I was accepted the very next day with 5k scholarship , and Midwestern let me know a couple days later.

My school stats and Info
GPA:3.55, sGPA 3.27 (something around this, I may be slightly off) & 493 MCAT
I was in a bad car accident and suffered from back injuries and a severe concussion last spring and took a GPA drop, from a 3.77 to a 3.55
Graduating undergrad in only 3 years at age 20. (no summer or interterm classes taken)
Past Internship: Army/Airforce full time intern in Washington over summer (~200 hours)
Red Cross
Clubs: Student-Athlete Advisory Committee member and conference representative for West Coast Conference in NCAA
Women in Science[/QUOTE]

Hi guys!

My school stats and Info
GPA:3.55, sGPA 3.27 (something around this, I may be slightly off)
Red Cross
Women in Science

Congratulations!! All the best at Midwestern :clap:

Hi this is very random but what text does Scholl text you from after you’ve been accepted. I had gotten my acceptance text and call 2 weeks ago, but got a new phone since then and I never saved my contact. I just got a asking to follow up from this number (847) 665-9692 but it doesn’t say who it’s from and im unsure if it’s any member from admissions. I don’t want to ask who it is since it’ll be unprofessional. Sorry I know it’s not the right forum guys but I’ll delete right after!

Hi this is very random but what text does Scholl text you from after you’ve been accepted. I had gotten my acceptance text and call 2 weeks ago, but got a new phone since then and I never saved my contact. I just got a asking to follow up from this number but it doesn’t say who it’s from and im unsure if it’s any member from admissions. I don’t want to ask who it is since it’ll be unprofessional. Sorry I know it’s not the right forum guys but I’ll delete right after!

Call them at the number in this link and explain your situation, they wouldn't take it negatively.

Contact the Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine

1. cGPA 3.25 sGPA 3.35 (low GPA from first attempt at undergrad school) current GPA of 3.7
2. Mcat 497
3. 10k + hours working in hospital with many different specialties
4. Only applied to Azpod
5. Accepted to Azpod!

The website says that I am currently unable to message you. Maybe you have you change your privacy/conversation settings?
I'm getting the exact same thing and I've checked my settings.

Anyone on here knows how to get around that?

I'm getting the exact same thing and I've checked my settings.

Anyone on here knows how to get around that?

Click on your username in the top right corner and you'll find "Privacy" under settings. You'll be able to change your settings there.

Click on your username in the top right corner and you'll find "Privacy" under settings. You'll be able to change your settings there.
Thanks! For some reason the mobile version doesn't have the privacy option but I was able to do it on the computer.

I just got a rejection email from Temple, not even an interview invite

I’m so discouraged as it maybe the start of many rejection emails from other schools...

I’m so discouraged as it maybe the start of many rejection emails from other schools...
Don't get disheartened. Stay positive! Mind sharing your stats? Maybe it was an auto rejection based on your stat?

I’m sorry to hear your news. But, it is too early to start being discouraged. One of the hardest parts about applying to professional schools is patience. Temple may have denied you, but that does not mean all the other schools will follow suit. Stay positive, be confident in your app, and focus on other things for right now. You have the stats to get an II, so it’s just a waiting game now.

Don't get disheartened. Stay positive! Mind sharing your stats? Maybe it was an auto rejection based on your stat?

Mcat: 488
Tons of shadowing, DPM shadowing, hospital shadowing abroad.
2 semesters research

I’m sorry to hear your news. But, it is too early to start being discouraged. One of the hardest parts about applying to professional schools is patience. Temple may have denied you, but that does not mean all the other schools will follow suit. Stay positive, be confident in your app, and focus on other things for right now. You have the stats to get an II, so it’s just a waiting game now.

It’s just maybe I was overconfident that I definitely was going to get IIs from all schools due to my gpa. I’m just nervous to see what if the rejection emails pile up...

Don’t feel bad. Temple likes to have a higher MCAT (around 495). You will have much better luck with other schools assuming you applied to multiple.

Though your MCAT is very low, you will prolly have more luck at the large schools

Mcat: 488
Tons of shadowing, DPM shadowing, hospital shadowing abroad.
2 semesters research

Both my MCAT and GPA is lower than yours and I've received an acceptance. I just want to say, Don't lose hope! Good luck.

Thanks but I’m just curious to know why I was rejected. Is it because I’m an international student or that I’ve 200 hours DO shadowing so they thought I’m just a leftover premed student who couldn’t get into med school...Who knows...

Thanks but I’m just curious to know why I was rejected. Is it because I’m an international student or that I’ve 200 hours DO shadowing so they thought I’m just a leftover premed student who couldn’t get into med school...Who knows...

I don’t think being an international student really matters in this case. I have over 150 hours of MD shadowing and that did not compromise me in any way. Just take care of yourself in the meantime!

Personal statement. Something in your file.

Email or call them back and ask how you can improve your profile.

Plenty of international students and those who switched from MD/DO/DDS in the program.

Don't shift the blame. With that GPA you will get in somewhere.

Like others have said. Temple has screens. Sounds like you didn't make it pass the MCAT screen. Meaning no human probably ever looked at your app. So there is no indication there's something you could improve on besides stats. There are plenty of international students at Temple. Temple is MCAT heavy where as Barry for example seems to be more GPA heavy. Don't worry I'm sure you will net interview invites assuming you cast your net wide.