Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,
I submitted all of my transcripts and completed my application about 10 days ago. SOPHAS verified that my application was complete on Nov. 23rd. I'm only applying to UCB through SOPHAS. The other program to which I'm applying doesn't use SOPHAS. Anyhow, I submitted the Cal graduate application already (before their December 1st deadline) but the school might not receive my SOPHAS application until after Dec. 1st. Is this going to be a problem? I seriously hope not. . . .I was under the impression that as long as I got my application submitted and completed to SOPHAS BEFORE the Dec. 1st deadline that I'd be in good shape.

My Stats
3.93 GPA (history major, taken course work in math and science since then)
700Q 700V 5.5 AW
2 years working health policy
3 years working as research assistant for epi study through UC Davis

Applying to UCB and UC Davis

-Alice

Members don't see this ad.

IMG, graduated 2003.
GRE: 730Q, 600V, 4.0 AW
Experience in hospital based settings as primary care physician.
SOPHAS submitted: 10/5/2010
SOPHAS mailed: 10/27/2010
JHU submitted: 10/5/2010

Applied for MPH in all.

Accepted: JHU
Waiting: Harvard, Emory, GWU, U Minnesota

Hi Alice,

I think you should be fine. I heard that as long as you submit your application to SOPHAS by the deadline, you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG, graduated 2003.
GRE: 730Q, 600V, 4.0 AW
Experience in hospital based settings as primary care physician.
SOPHAS submitted: 10/5/2010
SOPHAS mailed: 10/27/2010
JHU submitted: 10/5/2010

Applied for MPH in all.

Waiting: Harvard, Emory, GWU, U Minnesota

Congratulations totful!!

Just wondering, when did you hear from JHU?

GPA: Undergrad 3.9
GRE: 570V 650Q

SOPHAS Submitted for Spring 2011 : Somewhere in September (yeah that would be pretty last minute)
Accepted : BU, USF, UMDNJ

Applied for Health Management and Policy

Will be accepting BU...

Anyone else who has been accepted for BU in Spring?

Congrats hisris! I'll be joining BU in the Spring too but as part of the International Health concentration.

I graduated last semester with degrees in neuroscience and psychology from CU - Boulder
GPA: 3.3 overall, 3.5 science
GRE: 520V, 650Q, still waiting for AW (I took it Nov. 15)
Experience: 1 year bench research, member of a nonprofit public health organization, and (unfortunately) 8 months office experience as a receptionist at a family practice

I am applying for the epidemiology program

Waiting: CU - Denver Campus

(I will have my sop completed by the end of this week and am waiting for my lor writers to submit online. Hopefully I will have everything submitted by December 20th for the January 2nd deadline.)

Congratulations totful!!

Just wondering, when did you hear from JHU?

Hi gabu,
the decision was posted online (my profile page) on 11/22/2010, though I received the mail a week later.

Are u considering Hopkins?

Hi gabu,
the decision was posted online (my profile page) on 11/22/2010, though I received the mail a week later.

Are u considering Hopkins?

Oh, that's good to know...I will keep checking my status. I submitted my application a month later than you, so probably won't hear anything until late Dec or in Jan. Yes, I am considering the MPH program at Hopkins. What concentration are you interested in?

I got my first acceptance today so I figured I would stop stalking this page and actually post!

GPA 3.15 Major: Genetics
Completed UNC's core public health concepts graduate certificate program getting all Honors rankings.
GRE: 750Q 550V 4.0W
I currently work for a state health dept on Healthcare-associated infections. I have been involved in quite a bit of volunteer work in my community which I think really has helped me where my work experience lacks.
Another important note, all of the programs I applied to are online programs.
Sophas, JHS submitted: 11/9
UNC submitted: 11/12
Sophas verified: 11/19
Sophas mailed: 11/23

Waiting: UNC, Emory, UIC
I am pretty certain that I will accept the JHU offer though!!!

I got my first acceptance today so I figured I would stop stalking this page and actually post!

GPA 3.15 Major: Genetics
Completed UNC's core public health concepts graduate certificate program getting all Honors rankings.
GRE: 750Q 550V 4.0W
I currently work for a state health dept on Healthcare-associated infections. I have been involved in quite a bit of volunteer work in my community which I think really has helped me where my work experience lacks.
Another important note, all of the programs I applied to are online programs.
Sophas, JHS submitted: 11/9
UNC submitted: 11/12
Sophas verified: 11/19
Sophas mailed: 11/23

Waiting: UNC, Emory, UIC
I am pretty certain that I will accept the JHU offer though!!!

CONGRATULATIONS! That is a pretty quick reply!

Just wondering, after your SOPHAS is mailed, do you get any e-mails from the individual schools that they have received your application and reviewing it? If so, usually how many days does it take for that?

Just wondering, after your SOPHAS is mailed, do you get any e-mails from the individual schools that they have received your application and reviewing it? If so, usually how many days does it take for that?

Hi gabu,

I have received confirmation emails from Emory University, Drexel University, and Boston University saying that they received my application and that it is currently under review. I have not received confirmation emails from UCLA or Loma Linda University.

I submitted my SOPHAS on November 7th and was SOPHAS verified on November 23rd. I'm not expecting to hear responses until maybe late January, up through March/April.

Hey what day of the week is SOPHAS mailing apps this year? I finally got an email today saying that mine was verified. I was just trying to figure out how long I would have to wait for them to actually send it. I'm not that into Christmas, but there's nothing I'd rather have this year than an acceptance.....Thanks in advance!

Hey what day of the week is SOPHAS mailing apps this year? I finally got an email today saying that mine was verified. I was just trying to figure out how long I would have to wait for them to actually send it. I'm not that into Christmas, but there's nothing I'd rather have this year than an acceptance.....Thanks in advance!

When they mailed out my stuff they mailed it out on a Wednesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATULATIONS! That is a pretty quick reply!

gabu,
Its actually pretty strange, I heard from UIC telling me that they got my application before SOPHAS even told me that they had mailed it, but I still haven't heard from Emory. I called them this morning and they said that sometimes it can take up to 3 weeks to get that email out since they are getting so many applications in. I guess its just really variable from school to school so if there is one your really concerned about just give them a call.

I got a confirmation email from GW before I got the email that SOPHAS had mailed my application. My applications got mailed out on the 23rd and I have not heard back from Emory or Tulane yet that they got my application. South Florida updates on their site and it said "referred to public health college" or something similar. hope this helps anyone.

Posting with my first acceptance!!

Found out from GW this morning. I got an email from a member of the admissions committee. Haven't yet heard from the university but the email says that I should get more official notification soon.

I got notification that my application was complete on the 18th so just under two weeks for an acceptance (and that is including thanksgiving.) Wow they are fast!

So exciting, especially since I am not expecting to hear from anyone else until Feb!

Accepted to GWU's Global Health Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation program!

It only took them 8 days - including Thanksgiving. So impressed with their response time.

Congratulations to everyone with GW acceptances!! It seems like it may be taking longer for the schools to confirm that they have received our application due to the holidays. I guess I will wait and may be contact them if I don't hear anything by the end of next week.

Darn, nothing yet. Cmon schools, send me some good news. I was complete like a year ago or something. Sheesh!! Congrats to those of you who HAVE gotten in somewhere!

Hello friends,

I figured I'd jump in, even though I'm only applying to Minnesota...

Undergrad GPA: 3.71 (3.89 over the last three years)
MCAT: 31S
SOPHAS Submitted: 12/1

My primary motivation for only applying in state is that I want to do my work with the populations I serve in the future, particularly if I become a physician.

Does anyone have any information about how competitive the Minnesota program is, in particular, or even the likelihood of being admitted as a recent undergrad student?

Today Emory finally emailed me my OPUS id and password. Let the obsessive compulsive checking begin. I haven't gotten a GW acceptance, and my application was mailed out in last week's mailing. 8 days is crazy for an acceptance!! I'm jealous. Congrats to all of you with acceptances, hopefully the good luck continues for the rest of us!!

Today Emory finally emailed me my OPUS id and password. Let the obsessive compulsive checking begin. I haven't gotten a GW acceptance, and my application was mailed out in last week's mailing. 8 days is crazy for an acceptance!! I'm jealous. Congrats to all of you with acceptances, hopefully the good luck continues for the rest of us!!

Ah I applied to GWU too. I'm shocked people are hearing back so soon. Everyone was notified via email right?

I've been checking my inbox like crazy in hopes of seeing something from one of my schools.

PS. I think its really strange how schools congratulate us for submitting a complete app. I always read "CONGRATULATIONS!" as the first line and get excited. but it's followed by "your application is now complete! best of luck!" sigh. how anti-climactic.

Ah I applied to GWU too. I'm shocked people are hearing back so soon. Everyone was notified via email right?

I've been checking my inbox like crazy in hopes of seeing something from one of my schools.

PS. I think its really strange how schools congratulate us for submitting a complete app. I always read "CONGRATULATIONS!" as the first line and get excited. but it's followed by "your application is now complete! best of luck!" sigh. how anti-climactic.

Haha, I know that feeling. I remember when I got a letter four years ago from the undergrad school of my dreams, and it said 'CONGRATULATIONS' on the outside of the envelope. I almost hyperventilated from excitement. I opened the letter and it said 'CONGRATULATIONS...your application is complete! We will be sending it to the admissions committee for review. Sincerely, Misleading Letter of False Hope'

On actually related news, I'm still waiting too! Crossing my fingers really hard here.

Oh, that's good to know...I will keep checking my status. I submitted my application a month later than you, so probably won't hear anything until late Dec or in Jan. Yes, I am considering the MPH program at Hopkins. What concentration are you interested in?

Hi gabu,
Am considering the Epidemiology/Environmental Health concentration. Would likely do both if possible... but right now, am thinking of funding... its quite expensive.

Hello friends,
I got my first acceptance from Tulane today!
Major:pharmaceutical sciences
Undergrad GPA: 3.52
GRE: 630V/800Q/4.5AW
SOPHAS submitted: Nov.4
SOPHAS mailed: Nov.24
Accepted: Tulane
Waiting: Harvard, JHU, UMN, U of Pittsburgh, Emory, U of Michigan, UCBerkeley, UCLA

A little excited, since I am not expecting to hear from the schools until Jan. Good luck to everyone!

weird to have people get acceptances already while I haven't even submitted my apps yet!

Yes I was notified by email. Best of luck!

People who got into GW - have you heard anything from the actual school? All I've gotten so far was an email from a member of the admin committee.

Hello friends,
I got my first acceptance from Tulane today!
Major:pharmaceutical sciences
Undergrad GPA: 3.52
GRE: 630V/800Q/4.5AW
SOPHAS submitted: Nov.4
SOPHAS mailed: Nov.24
Accepted: Tulane
Waiting: Harvard, JHU, UMN, U of Pittsburgh, Emory, U of Michigan, UCBerkeley, UCLA

A little excited, since I am not expecting to hear from the schools until Jan. Good luck to everyone!
MandyL, congratulations on your Tulane acceptance! Which program did you apply to?

Last edited:
MPH Epi. I am thinking of specializing in pharmacoepidemiology in the future.
Still hoping and waiting!

Hi everyone!

Good luck to everyone applying. Very nervewrecking! I submitted late September and was complete early October. I have started to hear back from some schools though!

Here are my stats:

Major: Biological Sciences and Writing Minor

GPA: Mid 3.0s from UC (c/o 2009)

GRE: 1120, 4.0 W

LORs: Public health professor, Director of Optometry Services at FQHC/Optometrist, Deputy CEO of FQHC, MD, Writing professor/supervisor for tutoring

Experience:
- 1 year ER volunteer
- 2 semesters volunteer research assistant (smoking cessation)
- 3 years writing tutor to undergrads on campus
- 2 semesters after school program focused on developing writing skills
- 1 year public health internship (defining campus health)
- 2 semesters prepping and helping coordinate a student led health fair
- 1 summer paid research assistant (grant writing, surveys, building a communications team)
- 1 year AmeriCorps @ FQHC (diabetes awareness/education, retinopathy screenings, homeless outreach, nutrition/food stamp outreach, breast cancer project)

Currently:
Research Assistant @ FQHC (breast cancer project/data analysis, homeless outreach, building infrastructure/training retinal photographers for retinopathy program, implementing a diabetes tool I created). Bascially, I wear different hats other than my RA position :)

Applied: UW, UMich, UIC, Tulane, Emory, UMass, BU
Accepted: BU, Emory, Tulane
Rejected: None (yet...)

Would like to add more but limited with finances :( Every program I applied to is amazing!!!

Hi everyone!

Good luck to everyone applying. Very nervewrecking! I submitted late September and was complete early October. I have started to hear back from some schools though!

Here are my stats:

Major: Biological Sciences and Writing Minor

GPA: Mid 3.0s from UC (c/o 2009)

GRE: 1120, 4.0 W

LORs: Public health professor, Director of Optometry Services at FQHC/Optometrist, Deputy CEO of FQHC, MD, Writing professor/supervisor for tutoring

Experience:
- 1 year ER volunteer
- 2 semesters volunteer research assistant (smoking cessation)
- 3 years writing tutor to undergrads on campus
- 2 semesters after school program focused on developing writing skills
- 1 year public health internship (defining campus health)
- 2 semesters prepping and helping coordinate a student led health fair
- 1 summer paid research assistant (grant writing, surveys, building a communications team)
- 1 year AmeriCorps @ FQHC (diabetes awareness/education, retinopathy screenings, homeless outreach, nutrition/food stamp outreach, breast cancer project)

Currently:
Research Assistant @ FQHC (breast cancer project/data analysis, homeless outreach, building infrastructure/training retinal photographers for retinopathy program, implementing a diabetes tool I created). Bascially, I wear different hats other than my RA position :)

Applied: UW, UMich, UIC, Tulane, Emory, UMass, BU
Accepted: BU, Emory, Tulane
Rejected: None (yet...)

Would like to add more but limited with finances :( Every program I applied to is amazing!!!

Congratz ra1987!

May I ask what track you got into for Emory? Is this track your 1st choice? And what are the other 2 tracks that you applied?

Thanks!

Congrats from me too ra1987...when did you hear from Emory and did you apply for Spring 2011 or Fall?

My top 2 are Tulane and Emory...got my Tulane acceptance the first week of November so I'm semi-patiently waiting to hear from Emory :)

Thanks guys! I applied to the BSHE track only.

Awapi: I didn't know Emory had Spring admission! I applied for fall. I got an e-mail for admissions on November 18th in the morning right when I got to work. I was so surprised because I had gotten acceptance packets in the mail from the other schools. The e-mail did say I'd get something in the mail in 3 weeks. I even e-mailed admissions back to just make sure hehe.

Good luck! :)

I am slightly (okay, majorly) biased but Emory has a great BSHE program.
If it is anything like last year your acceptance "package" weighs about 3 lbs :)

Accepted to GWU's Global Health Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation program!

It only took them 8 days - including Thanksgiving. So impressed with their response time.

my stuff was in either at the same time or earlier than yours and i've yet to hear back!! ... does this mean i'm going to get rejected?!?!?!

my stuff was in either at the same time or earlier than yours and i've yet to hear back!! ... does this mean i'm going to get rejected?!?!?!

I wouldn't panic. If you look back on the old boards, you'll notice that certain concentrations are quicker to make decisions than others. Epi programs, I've noticed, usually send out their decisions much earlier than most other programs. Don't worry, the dept. you've applied to is probably slower in processing the app and deciding :)

Don't worry smd18, it is still not anywhere close to the application deadline for GWU. It's too early to assume anything!

I also submitted my application for GWU at the same time as you and Megleg ( I think I e-submitted on 11/23) . But, my last letter writer submitted their reference on 12/01 and it was forwarded by SOPHAS to my schools today. So even though I technically submitted my app on 11/23, it hasn't been reviewed yet by anyone.

Also, GWU takes up to 5 weeks to make a decision even with rolling admissions.

I think I got accepted to Tulane for International Health and Development! Today one of my LOR writers called me and told me she had received an email from Tulane admissions (she was a Tulane MPH graduate) that said I was a "great candidate and she was accepting me for the coming fall" !!!!!!!! I don't want to get to excited until I have formal confirmation myself, but the email was forwarded from admissions so I'm pretty sure it's legit! SO HAPPY as Tulane is a top choice... and my GPA wasn't the highest so it's a nice surprise!

I think I got accepted to Tulane for International Health and Development! Today one of my LOR writers called me and told me she had received an email from Tulane admissions (she was a Tulane MPH graduate) that said I was a "great candidate and she was accepting me for the coming fall" !!!!!!!! I don't want to get to excited until I have formal confirmation myself, but the email was forwarded from admissions so I'm pretty sure it's legit! SO HAPPY as Tulane is a top choice... and my GPA wasn't the highest so it's a nice surprise!

That's great to hear! I'm also going to be applying to the same program with the exact same GPA as you (although it may go up by .1 or so because I'm retaking a chem class I got a D in, hope that's not too much of a red flag). Sounds like you had some great PH experience on your app!

That's great to hear! I'm also going to be applying to the same program with the exact same GPA as you (although it may go up by .1 or so because I'm retaking a chem class I got a D in, hope that's not too much of a red flag). Sounds like you had some great PH experience on your app!

I too had a D on my transcript in a chemistry class (organic chem :scared:). So I'm with you. Weird that we're sort of the same person haha.

I too had a D on my transcript in a chemistry class (organic chem :scared:). So I'm with you. Weird that we're sort of the same person haha.

Yeah this D and the few Cs I have are what I'm worried about. I feel as if I have a pretty good app otherwise, but the Ws and the few Cs and a D during my jr and sr years may look as if I'm slacking off, when it really isn't the case. Hopefully, I can just retake OChem and get rid of that D. I think I'm going to say something about it, and try to explain why a few chem classes took me from a 3.6 to a 3.28 pretty quickly. It's really frustrating when you're working really hard, but these upper level chems are killers! Just wondering, did you explain the D in your essay or in your app anywhere?

No, I didn't explain it or write about it in any part of my application. Looking back, I realize that probably would have been a wise thing to do considering that's the only reason my GPA isn't higher either. Oh well.. I don't think it mattered too much..

Yeah this D and the few Cs I have are what I'm worried about. I feel as if I have a pretty good app otherwise, but the Ws and the few Cs and a D during my jr and sr years may look as if I'm slacking off, when it really isn't the case. Hopefully, I can just retake OChem and get rid of that D. I think I'm going to say something about it, and try to explain why a few chem classes took me from a 3.6 to a 3.28 pretty quickly. It's really frustrating when you're working really hard, but these upper level chems are killers! Just wondering, did you explain the D in your essay or in your app anywhere?

Congrats on your acceptance to Tulane smd18!!!

Ditto. Got a D+ (gotta love the “+”; as if that makes my D any better…) in first semester OChem during undergrad, didn’t take it second semester. I then took OChem during post-bac (A- first semester, B+ second semester). Unfortunately, SOPHAS does not consider that A- as a retake b/c it was at a different school…

Btw, zmkelchn, I had one sentence in my personal statement stating that alma mater + my undergrad major were impossibly tough and that I learned a lot. Hope that will satisfy adcoms… Guess I’ll find out soon enough!

Good luck to all!

I think it would also be a good thing to include whether you are a recent college grad (within the past year or graduating this year) or if you are already a professional. I feel like that means a lot to admissions and it would just be nice to know to get a better feel. I'm still a senior in college ...:oops:

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to jump on the GWU Acceptance bandwagon and let you guys know I was accepted into their MPH Program in Global Health: Design, Monitoring and Evaluation !!! :)

Just got an acceptance email from GW! Accepted for their Global Health - Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation program! I'm SO SO happy!:D:D:D:D

Woo! Got my first acceptance in plenty of time for the holidays. Got into Emory's BSHE MD/MPH program. Thank goodness I'll get away from med school for a year!

Woo! Got my first acceptance in plenty of time for the holidays. Got into Emory's BSHE MD/MPH program. Thank goodness I'll get away from med school for a year!

Congrats! :) We may be classmates next year! Did you just get the e-mail acceptance or did you receive something in the mail? I got an e-mail the Thursday before Thanksgiving....

(Btw: Are you a PRIME med-student?)