Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all

I Am going to be attending the MPH program in epi at UW this fall. Is anyone else going to the UW school of public health for a Masters program this fall ? Just wanted to connect with other students ! Please pm me if you are going !

If there isn't already one, you should start a thread for UW Class of 2013. It would give you a better chance of connecting with other people in your class. And congrats! UW is a good program.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations for all the accepted!

I have been accepted by GW for MPH in Global Health
I should start this fall

any one else accepted for the same program?

Do you know how transfer from Full time to Part time?

please advise

Just accepted at the University of Iowa MPH program with a concentration on community & behavioral health.
Waiting to hear back on the joint degree aspect with an MHA.
Anyone else going there?

GPA: 3.6; major: bio, minors: psych, soci
GRE: 780m, 450v, 4.5w (only studied 2 weeks before)

Members don't see this ad :)
ellebelle7 how did you study? any tips for the gre?

I am an International Student, dont know how come the GWU accepted me for the MPH at the Global Health this fall without GRE and TOEFL :D

Love them when they are unpredictable :love:

and thanks for the last moment application, I sent mine mid April 2011 :luck:

ellebelle7 how did you study? any tips for the gre?

@healthypassion I bought two GRE books (kaplan & Barrons) but I only had a little bit of time to glance over them. I bought an LSAT vocal app to try to quickly review my vocab & that was helpful. Luckily I had studied for the GMAT a month before so I think that kind of helped me out. As for tips, the whole process is changing in August so it'll be very different then, but I'm sure you'll do great :)

A little late but I figured I'd let sdn know that I got accepted into University of Oklahoma MPH program for the fall of 2011!

I'm taking 15 hours and this will be my first graduate level semester...Do you guys think this is a lot and that I may be taking a bigger bite than I can chew?

Thanks and congrats to everyone else!

A little late but I figured I'd let sdn know that I got accepted into University of Oklahoma MPH program for the fall of 2011!

I'm taking 15 hours and this will be my first graduate level semester...Do you guys think this is a lot and that I may be taking a bigger bite than I can chew?

Thanks and congrats to everyone else!

Congrats on your acceptance, bretski!

I don't think anyone can judge what's too much to chew better than you can but if 15 hours isn't the minimum, maybe you should consider taking the minimum number of credits your first semester and see how that pans out. In this situation, it's better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck!

I don't think anyone can judge what's too much to chew better than you can but if 15 hours isn't the minimum, maybe you should consider taking the minimum number of credits your first semester and see how that pans out. In this situation, it's better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck!

Not that I really know anything yet, but I agree with swaffles. My advisor told me that registering for the minimum number of credits could be a good idea to help me get my feet wet - focusing on doing well in fewer classes. You can always take more classes later as well as do summer courses, which is what I will be doing.

NeuroEpi, I think you should definitely apply. I am also applying with <3.0 GPA and a decent GRE (610 V, 630Q). I decided to apply anyway because I am positive that I want a career in public health( specifically as an independent investigator). I believe that my community involvement (10+ years) and research experience(4 years total, 2 years working full-time with an epi research group.) will bring a lot to my application. I have 4 publications to date ( 1 is a 1st authorship) as well as a ton of abstracts and poster presentations. Because I've worked so closely with many researchers in the field, I was also able to get 3 excellent LORs. I figured, at worst I'll get rejected. :) I know that I may not get into my dream school, but I really believe that I can at least get into one. You never know what will happen so just apply.

can nyone please tell me... tht one can de commit the course in half way .. n start some other course.. do we have to pay full tuition fees fr tht course n how safe it is.. as they wont complain to us emabssy...
actually am applying to MPH but my intention is to get admission to dds .. incase if i get admit into dds .. i will leave mph in half.. will tht create ny probs...??

Good luck!

Not that I really know anything yet, but I agree with swaffles. My advisor told me that registering for the minimum number of credits could be a good idea to help me get my feet wet - focusing on doing well in fewer classes. You can always take more classes later as well as do summer courses, which is what I will be doing.

Thanks guys that helps some. The minimum is 9 hours and the reasoning for taking more than that is I'm hoping to get as much done the first year so that when I hopefully get into medical school I will only have a couple of light MPH semesters left while starting my first year of MS. But I may take your advice and take a summer course to stay ahead.:)

hello guys.
Got my GRE AWA score a few days ago, and I just realized how bad a score of 4.0 (which was what I had) really is. Verbal was 730 and Quant was 770. Planning to apply for MPH in Harvard, Hopkins, University of Washington, and New York University. Does anyone think the poor AWA score will make any difference? I'm a medical graduate currently having my internship in Nigeria....not much working experience.

If you had a lower verbal score, then a 4.0 could *possibly* be a source of concern but with a 730 verbal I highly doubt it will make any difference. Make sure you write a clear and focused statement of purpose and that paired with the verbal score will be fine.

Last edited:
If you had a lower verbal score then a 4.0 could *maybe* a source of concern but with a 730 verbal I highly doubt it will make any difference. Make sure you write a clear and focused statement of purpose and that paired with the verbal score will be fine.

I completely agree. I was very unhappy with my AW score because I know I could have done better. I was also a bit miffed by the description of only having "adequate control of the English language" description :) but I was told not to worry about it by the schools I called. I actually don't think they really pay much attention to it unless it is really low (3 or below), your verbal score is really low or you can't articulate your thoughts in writing as evidenced in the personal statement. I think the rule of thumb is to score around a 50% or higher in all 3 areas to be competitive at many schools. A 4.0 AW score is probably in the mid-high 40th percentile (more or less) and therefore, not a deal breaker. That being said, it doesn't hurt to inquire with a few schools for piece of mind. You can always retake just the AW part but it seems like it would be unnecessary given your achievements in the V and Q section.

I had no public health experience, but spent time working at newspapers and one stint teaching English abroad.

GPA: 3.9
GRE: 710 Q | 590 V | 4.5 W
Accepted to health behavior-type programs at:
UMich, Boston, John's Hopkins, UCLA
Rejected: None.

Congrats to everyone!!

Undergrad GPA 3.01 (McGill University 2003)
MHS GPA 3.8 (Johns Hopkins School of Public Health 2006)
Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Management & Finance GPA 4.0 (Johns Hopkins School of Public Health 2008)
GRE: Q 800 (94%) V 690 (97%) AW 5.0
6 Years progressive work experience, both local and international, in healthcare research and healthcare project management, including nomination for succession planning for future leadership positions in my organization.

Applying to Johns Hopkins DrPH in Health Care Management and Leadership.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Hi there,
I realize this thread goes back a few months. I'm wondering where you all ended up getting into with your credentials? I am applying for MPH programs to be admitted Fall 2012. I will be pursuing Adolescent Health Education. I appreciate your feedback!

Hey all

I Am going to be attending the MPH program in epi at UW this fall. Is anyone else going to the UW school of public health for a Masters program this fall ? Just wanted to connect with other students ! Please pm me if you are going !

Hey I am coming this fall to for MPH - Global Health. my skype is "gemsfacet"

Hey all! Congratulations on all the acceptances. . . now that I've finally heard back it's decision crunch time.

So I've been accepted to (MPH):
Emory Global Health
Tulane GHSD
BU International Health ($12000 Merit Award)
GWU Global Health Policy
Drexel EPI
Texas EPI
LSHTM MSc in Public Health (Health Economics)

Waiting:
USC (kind of forgot I even applied to them so meh!)

I'm an international student and my stats are:
GRE: 640V, 670Q, 4.5AW
GPA: 3.34 (Political Science from reputable Canadian university)
3 years of interning with various nonprofits, locally and internationally

Any advice on decisions? I'm mostly torn between LSHTM vs. Emory vs. BU (due to merit award).

I'm specifically interested in working in monitoring and evaluation of global health and infectious disease, which I think all three schools are really good at. I'm just worried about potential job prospects afterwards, how well known are they globally?

Thanks a lot!

x

Hi Turkish delight!

I'm trying to decide between LSHTM, Emory (with merit scholarship) and JHU. If you still look at these forums (a long shot, I know), can you let me know what you decided and why? Thanks!

Hi everyone. I got accepted into MPH epi program at CUNY, Stony Brook and Icahn school of medicine at Mount Sinai. As I am an international medical graduate I am struggling to choose between the three. It would be a great help if anyone can give some insight into it. Thank you.