Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! :) We may be classmates next year! Did you just get the e-mail acceptance or did you receive something in the mail? I got an e-mail the Thursday before Thanksgiving....

(Btw: Are you a PRIME med-student?)

What's that?

Members don't see this ad.

2 for 2! Just got into JHU... now the tough part... I actually have choices where I go for once. Emory is 2 semesters and Hopkins is 2 semesters and a summer term. I'd rather get the degree in the shortest time span possible, but Hopkins is more prestigious.... What to do...

2 for 2! Just got into JHU... now the tough part... I actually have choices where I go for once. Emory is 2 semesters and Hopkins is 2 semesters and a summer term. I'd rather get the degree in the shortest time span possible, but Hopkins is more prestigious.... What to do...

Congratulations!! yes, I know what you mean by having choices....what I did when I applied to schools is rank them in the order of my interest, but then again, there is also the financial aid factor after all the loans already built up from medical school. When did you submit your JHU application? I am still waiting to hear from them, but I think I submitted my application a little later. I also applied to the Emory BSHE program, but for some reason they didn't have my MCAT scores, so I just sent it to them. Hopefully, I will hear from somewhere before the winter break....still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations!!!!! Which programs (mph or mhs) and departments did you apply to at JHU and Emory??

Just got accepted to GWU - MPH Biostatistics...:)

Congratulations!!!!! Which programs (mph or mhs) and departments did you apply to at JHU and Emory??

Hopkins - full-time MPH
Emory - MD/MPH behavioral sciences track

I am likely to go to Hopkins unless I get accepted by Harvard. Just curious, who would choose Harvard over Hopkins, or vice versa?

Just got accepted to Emory MPH program(EPI track)! The decision was posted on OPUS. Haven't got an acceptance email from the dept yet.

Hopkins - full-time MPH
Emory - MD/MPH behavioral sciences track

I am likely to go to Hopkins unless I get accepted by Harvard. Just curious, who would choose Harvard over Hopkins, or vice versa?

I was wondering about the same thing....although, still waiting to hear from other schools. I guess I will think about it after I see where I get accepted and what financial aid I can get. I would love to hear what everyone has to say about Harvard vs. Hopkins.

I just got my first acceptance today from Emory's BSHE MD/MPH program!! I got an e-mail this morning, but it does not show anything on OPUS yet.

I've applied for a MPH in Epidemiology.

Undergrad GPA: 3.43
GRE: 610 q, 610 v, 5 aw
1 year Latin America PH experience writing grants, managing medicine donations, interviewing physicians and hospital administrators

Accepted: Emory (12/10/10), Minnesota (12/20/10), Yale (12/27/10)
Waiting On: Michigan, Washington

Last edited:
First acceptance today!

Application complete at Sophas in early November and mailed in Nov 23rd mailing.

Stats -
3.3 GPA from a New England Liberal Arts College
690V 750Q 5.0 Writing GRE
Recs came from 1 prof, the Country Director of 1 Peace corps post and the "Program and Training Officer" for the other - she's kind of like the assistant country director.

3 years total as a Community Health Volunteer with the Peace Corps in 2 countries (in Africa and South America - evacuated from Africa after Coup d'etat)
Member of PC HIV task-force

Volunteer EMT in College, as well as president of a couple clubs.

I applied all over the place because I'm really hoping for financial aid!

Accepted:
Emory (Global health) - today! - beat the 3-6 week time line - it only took 9 days for the decision!

Interview:
University of Michigan (Health Policy and Management) - though I don't think I can go, because I'm still in the Peace Corps - it is far, and I'm broke!

Waiting:
Berkeley, University of Michigan (HBHE), Yale, Columbia, NYU (duel degree with Wagner and global health), University of Washington (Global Health and Health Services SBS), BU, Harvard, UNC

I'm also applying for some MPP/MPA dual degree programs - so I'm waiting to hear from the MPA/MPP side of Columbia (SIPA), Ford school (Michigan) and the University of Washington.

(Just so you don't think I'm too insane - most schools waive fees for Peace Corps Volunteers, so this isn't costing as much as it might seem!)

Congratulation for every acceptance!
I submitted to SOPHAS at last week. Perhaps a little late. Since I rewrote my peorsonal statement. I just rejected from GW for spring 2011.:( I don't know the reasons. But my GRE score is very low! I am waitting for the fall 2011. I am very nervous and don't know whether I have any chance.

My stats:
Undergraduate: GPA 3.54 Major: Biotech
graduate: GPA:3.78 Major: MS of IT
GRE: 790Q 340V (no worse than it)

experience:
1 summer CDC intership-full time
2 summer hospital intership-full time
2 semesters hosptial intership-part time
2 year research assitant

Applied: Yale(biostatistics), Emory(EPI), BU (EPI), U Texas, USC, East Tennessee St U
Accepted: none
Rejected: none

Good luck for every applicant!

Congrats everyone! Especially you PHhopeful :) I just closed of service from the Peace Corps in the last 2 months and I feel your pain on the cost of everything, good luck with your decisions!!

Yay! Acceptance #2 - Emory - Global Health

I got an unofficial email from someone in admissions last Friday (12/9), then it updated on OPUS a day or so later

Undergrad - 3.4, Environmental Science
GRE - 620 V, 730 Q, 5 Writing - 1350 total
Experience - Returned Peace Corps Volunteer, worked for an environmental management company for 2 years, president of volunteer advisory committee, member of HIV committee, and project advisory committee, honors/offices in clubs and volunteering in university and after

Submitted to SOPHAS around the end of September
Completed October 16th ish, mailed October 18, GRE scores mailed first week of November

Accepted:
Tulane - Nov. 3 ish - International Health and Development
Emory - Dec. 9 - Global Health - application wasn't received by them until toward the end of November - not sure about the delay

Waiting on:
Boston U

Hopefully a lot of people will hear from Emory soon, their deadline was Dec 1 I believe, so I'm sure they were holding out to make the bulk of their decisions until they received most of the applications.
Good luck everybody!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I was accepted to Drexel University's MPH program today :) This was my first acceptance.

I am still waiting to hear from Boston University, UCLA, Loma Linda University, and Emory University. I am still applying to UC Davis and a few others that have later deadlines.

Once quick question for awapi:

You said that for Emory their "deadline was Dec 1, and that they were holding out to make the bulk of their decisions until they received most of the applications".

I emailed Emory and all the other schools because I am re-taking the GRE at the beginning of January to improve my score. Do you think it's going to affect my chances by having them wait to review my application until January, even though I submitted my SOPHAS back in early November? I don't want to end up with them having made their decisions before they receive my second GRE scores, and then not be reviewed because they already granted all the acceptances :(

Hello,

I was accepted to Drexel University's MPH program today :) This was my first acceptance.

I am still waiting to hear from Boston University, UCLA, Loma Linda University, and Emory University. I am still applying to UC Davis and a few others that have later deadlines.

Once quick question for awapi:

You said that for Emory their "deadline was Dec 1, and that they were holding out to make the bulk of their decisions until they received most of the applications".

I emailed Emory and all the other schools because I am re-taking the GRE at the beginning of January to improve my score. Do you think it's going to affect my chances by having them wait to review my application until January, even though I submitted my SOPHAS back in early November? I don't want to end up with them having made their decisions before they receive my second GRE scores, and then not be reviewed because they already granted all the acceptances :(

I'm not sure what program you are applying to but the deadline for MPH and MSPH programs isn't until Jan for Emory.

JP528 is right! I'm sorry, the deadline for Emory MPH is 1/10/2011...I'm not sure why I thought it was 12/1...I was thinking that since I put in my application and I suppose that getting an acceptance a week after that date just perpetuated the false assumption in my mind!

I do still hope that a lot of people start hearing back from them soon though!

milosavljevic: I don't know how all the schools work and how asking them to wait for your second GRE would affect our application. I think most people believe "the earlier the better" applies when sending in an application for grad school, but they already have your application! Someone else might have personal experience with this, but I couldn't tell you how that would affect our chances (well, I could conjecture, but it wouldn't have any factual base :) ).

Last edited:
Got rejected from Emory last night. No big though, made the decision for GW that much easier. Good luck to everyone else!!

I got rejected from Emory last night too, but I was accepted to Tulane a couple months ago for there EPI program, and I would be more than happy to go there.. I'm hoping to hear back from GW too soon. They notified me that they had forwarded my app to the EPI department Nov 12. Good luck to everyone else!

Stats:
GRE - 620 Q, 530 V
GPA - 3.3 from top university
Experience in pharmaceutical consulting for 2 years
Accepted - Tulane
Rejected - Emory
Unknown - GW, Pitt

I’m so nervous!!! i e-submitted on the dec. 4. they have not mailed out my applications yet, so

I need to get over myself since it will prolly be about 3-4 months till I should complain about not hearing anything.

Major: Biology
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
GRE: 550V 720vQ 4.0 AW
Exp: Coming straight from undergrad.. had a couple of summer health/medical experiences.
SOPHAS submitted: Dec.4
SOPHAS mailed: --
Accepted: none
Waiting: Harvard, BU, UW, Emory
Concentration: EPI

Good luck to everyone!

I called Tulane today just to make sure that they got my complete application and was told that I was accepted!!! I'm so excited and relieved that I have at least one option for the Fall. :)

GRE: 540 V, 680 Q, 4.5 AW
GPA: 3.3, awaiting Fall grades
SOPHAS mailed: 12/8/10, but last LOR submitted 12/16/10
Programs: Epi, Global Epi, or Infectious Disease Epi where applicable
Acceptances: Tulane
Rejections: none yet
Still waiting: BU, Columbia, Emory, GW, Yale

Program: Global health
Acceptances: Tulane, Emory
Rejections: None
Waiting: UA, USF

So who else is torn between attending Tulane or Emory?

Anyone else invited to the Michigan MHSA visit day/interview?

Hi all- I was wondering if anyone has been rejected from their first choice program at Emory and accepted into 2nd or 3rd choice? Emory sent me a notification that my application was complete on 12/15 and I just got an email today saying they were sending it to my 2nd choice department. Now I'm really worried I won't get in at all and it's my top choice school!! Any insight?

Here's my info:

GRE: 640 V, 770 Q, 5 AW
MCAT: 31Q
GPA: 3.2 at top school in Northeast
Experience: Bio and Chem double major, 4 years public health research experience, 1 publication in public health journal, 10+ presented abstracts at major public health conferences. Currently working as clinical research assistant at a teaching hospital in Boston, MA.
SOPHAS mailed: 12/8/10

Acceptances: UAB
Still waiting: Emory, GW, JHU

Last edited:
Hi all- I was wondering if anyone has been rejected from their first choice program at Emory and accepted into 2nd or 3rd choice? Emory sent me a notification that my application was complete on 12/15 and I just got an email today saying they were sending it to my 2nd choice department. Now I'm really worried I won't get in at all and it's my top choice school!! Any insight?

Here's my info:

GRE: 640 V, 770 Q, ? AW (haven't received score yet)
MCAT: 31Q
GPA: 3.2 at top school in Northeast
Experience: Bio and Chem double major, 4 years public health research experience, 1 publication in public health journal, 10+ presented abstracts at major public health conferences. Currently working as clinical research assistant at a teaching hospital in Boston, MA.
SOPHAS mailed: 12/8/10

Acceptances: none yet
Still waiting: Emory, GW, UAB, JHU

Hi jillgboston, I don't have much insight into the admissions process but you have a lot of public health research experience and have presented and published your work, so I am surprised. It may be that they after reading your application and everything, they felt that your second choice program is a better fit for you. I wish you best of luck and hopefully you will hear good news from them soon!

Jill- What is your first and second choice?

Jill- What is your first and second choice?

My first choice was Global Health, but I suppose I don't have a lot of international experience. My second choice is HPM and 3rd is Epi. I am now thinking I have the best shot at Epi because thats where most of my experience lies, and maybe I should have written my personal statement geared towards that instead of GH, I was just thinking I wanted to branch out a bit.

Most (and everyone I know) that is a straight GH concentrator has had some international experience. That could have been what held you up.

I think there were a few people on here last year who got into their 2nd choice program at Emory.

Jillgboston,
I am in the same boat as you. I was just rejected from my first choice at Emory as well. If its any consolation I have already been accepted to JHU so don't get too concerned yet, different schools are looking for different things. I am sure you will get great news from your other schools!

Jillgboston,
I am in the same boat as you. I was just rejected from my first choice at Emory as well. If its any consolation I have already been accepted to JHU so don't get too concerned yet, different schools are looking for different things. I am sure you will get great news from your other schools!

Well I sent en email to the admissions office essentially asking if it was a bad omen to be rejected from one department, and they said it has absolutely no bearing on how your application is viewed by other departments. For me anyway, my first choice of GH is apparently the most competitive program and they basically told me not to sweat it just yet. So, I'm still hopeful!

I am just curious if any of you who are being admitted or rejected are applying for PhD's or ScD's or are you all MPHers? I am just completing my MS and have my application out for doctoral programs and I am starting to get a little bit anxious :oops:.

I am just curious if any of you who are being admitted or rejected are applying for PhD's or ScD's or are you all MPHers? I am just completing my MS and have my application out for doctoral programs and I am starting to get a little bit anxious :oops:.

I applied to a few PhD programs, and for the most part was told notifications would not be done until Jan/Feb at the earliest. Also depends if the programs requests interviews or not. If you don't mind sharing, what program(s) did you apply to?

hi everyone,,,
i just wanted to know when i should mail my gre scores to the universities,,,after the universities receive applications from sophas or before ? and hw long does it take for gre scores to reach the university as i will be ordering additional score reports...my deadlines for universities r approaching and i m kind of worried...

Last edited:
hi everyone,,,
i just wanted to know when i should mail my gre scores to the schools,,,after the schools receive applications from sophas or before ? and hw long does it take for gre scores to reach the university as i will be ordering additional score reports...my deadlines for universities r approaching and i m kind of worried...

Um...are you applying for this year? You should send your score reports to wherever they need to go the INSTANT they become available. There is absolutely no sense in waiting. SOPHAS will gather your materials and compile them as you send them in. I took my GRE back at the beginning of October and had it sent by the 2nd week...however I didn't complete my applications until Dec. 1. Had I waited until Dec. 1 to send my GRE i would have missed multiple deadlines.

I don't know what schools you're applying to...but you really want to hurry with the GRE scores. SOPHAS won't process your application until your GRE scores are into their system and then once SOPHAS has a complete application it will take roughly 4 weeks for them to mail them out.

Since the majority of schools have a Feb 1 deadline...You're cutting it VERY close. But, there's still time so just be sure to do all of that as fast as possible! :oops:

Since you will be applying later, just be POSITIVE all the materials will reach your schools in time. The last thing you want is to pay all the application fees only to find out a recommendation letter or GRE score arrived after the deadline so the school wouldn't consider you for admission...

Bottom line: FINISH THE APPLICATIONS ASAP! :D

thankyou for the reply... i am applying for fall 2011..i will order additional score reports and send them to the universities immediately...
actually my sophas application is almost complete,,only toefl scores yet to reach them,,,i dont know hw long will dat take,,,i am applying to UTHSC, St.louis ,UMDNJ as of now coz i think my gre scores are too low(v450,q650):(,,any other universities i should apply to???

Last edited:
I applied to a few PhD programs, and for the most part was told notifications would not be done until Jan/Feb at the earliest. Also depends if the programs requests interviews or not. If you don't mind sharing, what program(s) did you apply to?

Sorry for the late reply, but I applied to Epidemiology programs at Harvard, Johns Hopkins, and Emory.

Did anyone else have a problem with Columbia being slow about receiving transcripts and GRE scores? I requested and submitted those at the same time as the SOPHAS ones, but my Columbia application (which was submitted about a week ago) still says "Not received" for transcripts and GRE scores. :(

Did anyone else have a problem with Columbia being slow about receiving transcripts and GRE scores? I requested and submitted those at the same time as the SOPHAS ones, but my Columbia application (which was submitted about a week ago) still says "Not received" for transcripts and GRE scores. :(

Read the other Columbia threads

Does Harvard need to have SOPHAS mail your application by the Dec 15th deadline? or is the deadline referring to having everything submitted to SOPHAS by the Dec 15th deadline? Any thoughts on this?

The transcript verification is taking forever and I am wondering if my application will be considered since it is past Dec 15th.

Does Harvard need to have SOPHAS mail your application by the Dec 15th deadline? or is the deadline referring to having everything submitted to SOPHAS by the Dec 15th deadline? Any thoughts on this?

The transcript verification is taking forever and I am wondering if my application will be considered since it is past Dec 15th.

I think you should be okay as long as you submitted everything to SOPHAS by the Dec 15th deadline. You can call SOPHAS and/or Harvard to make sure.

I think your best bet is to call Harvard admission office and ask, also explain your situation. Good luck.

https://portal.sophas.org/applicants2011/faq/deadlines.shtml#six
According to this, it looks like you just have to e-submit and have all documents submitted to SOPHAS by the deadline.

You'll be fine as long as it was e-submitted by the 15th. Good Luck!:)

Hello All..
Happy New Years,
Can someone comment on my admission chances?
I am applying to Yale (MPH) JHU (MSPH), Harvard (M.S.), Columbia (MPH), and Emory (MPH).
Undergrad: University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
Concentration: Health Care Management & Policy
Gender/Race: Hispanic Male (I think gender is important because the average public health class is comprised of 75% females.)
GPA: 3.0
GRE: V:490 Q: 710 AW: 4.5
Applying STRAIGHT FROM UNDERGRAD
Internship Experience in Hospital Administration at Bellevue Hospital Center, NYC and a plethora of extracurricular activities
Also, can Hopkins asked me to send my Fall grades as soon as I get them. Anyone know what thats about?

I just found out that I got into Hopkins!!! The decision was posted online on 12/28/2010!! YAY!!! This made my new years!!! :)

Hello everyone,

My profile below:

Degrees: MBBS, MSc
GRE: 1320, W5.0
Postgraduate training: Residency in Internal Medicine.
Professional: 4 years clinical medicine, 2 years UN development work, 1 year public policy, WHO internship.
Other: Attended Summer Session at Harvard in 2010, President Health and Human Rights group in medical school.
SOPHAS mailed to Harvard: 11/03/2010.

Applied: Harvard MPH only (Global Health concentration)
Result: Awaiting outcome!

Good luck to everyone and Happy New year!

Last edited:
I just found out that I got into Hopkins!!! The decision was posted online on 12/28/2010!! YAY!!! This made my new years!!! :)
Congratz, gabu! Which program did you apply to? Did you get the decision from message center?

Congrats gabu on your admission to Hopkins! Please when was your application completed and what is your profile like? What concentration did you apply for? My own application to Hopkins was completed on 11th December, 2010 - a day after their differred application deadline. I'm still awaiting a decision from them. I hope my late submission will not significantly affect my chances.
I'm an International Medical Graduate with over 5 years clinical practice in a developing country.
GRE scores: 730Q; 660V 4.0AW.
Also awaiting Havard, MIchigan, Drexel, Texas(Houston) and Purdue University.
Admitted: Emory MPH (Global Health)
Hoping for good funding.

Congratz, gabu! Which program did you apply to? Did you get the decision from message center?

Hey mandyL,

I could not choose a specific program on the application. It only had the option for MPH full time. I did not apply for the online MPH program. I found out when I signed in to my application....you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom and click on the link that says: your application decision is now available online. Best of luck with your application process!

Last edited:
Congrats gabu on your admission to Hopkins! Please when was your application completed and what is your profile like? What concentration did you apply for? My own application to Hopkins was completed on 11th December, 2010 - a day after their differred application deadline. I'm still awaiting a decision from them. I hope my late submission will not significantly affect my chances.
I'm an International Medical Graduate with over 5 years clinical practice in a developing country.
GRE scores: 730Q; 660V 4.0AW.
Also awaiting Havard, MIchigan, Drexel, Texas(Houston) and Purdue University.
Admitted: Emory MPH (Global Health)
Hoping for good funding.

Hey AlanP,

My application was completed on 11/20/2010 and I did not apply for any specific concentration since they online had the Full Time MPH option available. I am a third year medical student in Texas. I did a community research project between my first and second year which was accepted for a poster presentation at several conferences. I also have some volunteer experience in public health during undergrad and in medical school. I hope this helps. Best of luck with your application process!