Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey,

Firstly, congratulations to all for their acceptances respectively.

I was in a big soup, and needed a bail out...

I applied for the MHA,MHSA and MPH-Health Management Programs to various schools

ACCEPTANCES:

1. Yale (HMP Program)
2. Columbia (Health Management Track)
3. UMich (MHSA Program)
4. UMinn (MHA Program)

I was really confused between Yale and Michigan, and needed some help in terms of helping me decide, if somebody has potential insights ?

The thought of selecting one school out of these 4 is just killing me, and i would greatly appreciate any help/guidance as for the best selection....

Thank you,
Aspire198

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats jaya88! Doesn't it feel good to finally get an acceptance?

I have received that email as well and I have not received a response from them yet. I didn't take it as a sign of rejection but I actually just thought they sent it to all students in their database. Hopefully I am not wrong...

Don't worry. I recently got an acceptance from HSPH and I also got the same e-mail....

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering- has anyone heard from UNC about funding yet? I figure it's coming soon but wondered if anyone's heard already.
Thanks.

Got in to BU today with Merit Award!!! It's funny, I expected it to go to my home address so I was calling home every day to have someone check the mail, meanwhile it was sitting in my campus mailbox! So here are my stats:

GRE: 730V, 800Q, 5.0W
Undergrad GPA: 3.2
Senior Undergrad
SOPHAS submitted 12/15/10 mailed on 1/08/11

Waiting to hear: Harvard MS, UMass
Accepted: Tulane MCH (1/31/11), BU MCH (2/25/11) both with merit award

I'm wondering- has anyone heard from UNC about funding yet? I figure it's coming soon but wondered if anyone's heard already.
Thanks.

I got a pretty early informal acceptance from UNC and have still not heard about funding. I emailed them on Friday and no response yet.

Got in to BU today with Merit Award!!! It's funny, I expected it to go to my home address so I was calling home every day to have someone check the mail, meanwhile it was sitting in my campus mailbox! So here are my stats:

Senior Undergrad

congrats on the scholarship and incredible GRE scores...i expect you to have more good news coming your way soon!

-waystinthyme

3.6 GPA Psychology Major; Biology and Statistics Double Minor from a top public university

GRE: 680 Q/ 550 V /4 W
EC:
Have research experience, volunteer experience at the local hospital in Infectious diseases, and also TA Intro Statistics

SOPHAS: Submitted 10/24, Verified 10/28

I can't decide between Emory and Yale?!

Applying to Epi MPH
Accepted: Emory, Yale, UGA
Rejected: Berkeley
Waiting to hear: Columbia

Congrats jaya88! Doesn't it feel good to finally get an acceptance?

Thank you, ebd! Yes, it was definetely a relief. I don't know that it has completely sunk in yet. I tried really hard to quell my expectations in the event that I would need to do a GRE retake and apply next year! However, it looks like I can start getting excited.

I got a pretty early informal acceptance from UNC and have still not heard about funding. I emailed them on Friday and no response yet.

Seems UNC is being really slow with everything this year...it's very frustrating.... That said, good luck to everyone waiting on them!

Senior Undergrad

Congrats on your acceptances! Did BU ask you for additional information by any chance?

Thank, sch86 (and phmandsw) for this info! It sounds like it's school-wide and not department-specific; is that how it was described?

I'm definitely seriously considering Berkeley. It's in my top 2 (with UNC), but I feel like a visit to the school would definitely get a better feel for what's going to be the best fit!

I second the thank you for the info. I am also very seriously considering Berkeley. It has always been one of my top choices...I love California and am currently living just a few hours north of the bay area, so I would definitely like to attend visit day. Have any of you received any information about financial aid?

I've heard nothing about funding from UNC, but I did get an email today saying that my admission information was sent out two weeks ago. I still haven't received it, so I am wondering if funding is discussed in there. Has anyone else received their admission packet yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptances! Did BU ask you for additional information by any chance?

Thanks! They didn't ask for any additional info, but I was under the impression that is done at each department's discretion, so maybe MCH realized it was ridiculous to ask for info they already had! Good luck!

I've heard nothing about funding from UNC, but I did get an email today saying that my admission information was sent out two weeks ago. I still haven't received it, so I am wondering if funding is discussed in there. Has anyone else received their admission packet yet?

I haven't received mine yet.

I've been following the forum for a while, but this is my first post. I'm anxiously awaiting news from Harvard SM Global Health and Johns Hopkins MSPH in International Health! I didn't hear anything from Harvard this weekend, so I guess I'll be waiting on pins and needles until next weekend?

Accepted: Emory, Global Health (interviewed on the phone for merit scholarship consideration); Columbia, SMS Global Health Track- 10k/year merit scholarship
Waiting: Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Tulane, BU
Rejected: None

How many people have heard back from Harvard Global Health and Population for the SM degree? I've only seen a couple I think?

I was accepted to Harvard's to SM in global health on Friday (25th). It was quite thrilling at first but now the reality of financial burden is starting to kick in :)

I just got the same email. I think it's just a generic email that the school sends to everyone. That would be really silly if it was some cryptic way of saying "Yep, you are most likely rejected; however you can still be semi-associated with us by taking some summer classes."

However, it's a bit frustrating to be anticipating a decision only to recieve this summer session info email

Hey Nanku and Intlhealth2010, DON"T WORRY that e-mail DOES NOT imply rejection. I was accepted on Friday to Harvard and I received the same e-mail. Chillax!! Have hope and good luck to both of you!!!!:)

Hello,

I received an email today from Emory saying I was accepted into their BSHE program. I'm quite relieved to have heard back from all the schools I applied to. Now it's time to start booking flights/hotels to visit schools, and finally make a decision :)

got accepted to BU today with a 12k merit award. they did not email me asking for more information. i applied to epi. the letter was dated 2 weeks ago but i did not check my mailbox.

Congratulations to both of you above!

Has anybody heard anything from Hopkins lately?

Hey Nanku and Intlhealth2010, DON"T WORRY that e-mail DOES NOT imply rejection. I was accepted on Friday to Harvard and I received the same e-mail. Chillax!! Have hope and good luck to both of you!!!!:)

Hey thanks for the positive reinforcement. I appreciate it!

Good news today!

Accepted: UNC-Health Policy & Mgmt ("rec for admission"), UW-Health Systems & Policy (!! "rec for admission"), and GW-Health Policy Scholars
Waiting: BU (received req for addl info last night)

I am excited about UNC because I visited last week and loved it. Very excited about UW because I love the program/city and thus have been short of stalking them about my application in the last few weeks. I really want to go to admitted students days in late March but airfare is so expensive (from the east coast)! Plus getting more time off..

"Stats"
BS Finance, Econ (double major) w/ 3.4 GPA
Almost 4 years at a top consulting firm with NIH & EPA as clients
600V, 720Q GRE

Accepted today for Harvard MPH in Global Health.

Stats: 3rd year Canadian med student.
WHO internship, president of medical society, founder of medical journal, international health projects in Bosnia, China x2, and in England.
MCAT 38P (top 1.5%)
uGPA 3.5 with 4.0 in last year

Accepted: Harvard. (Today at 12:55pm EST)
Rejected: None
Waiting: None

Decision: Going to Harvard or deferring to finish MD, then going to Harvard.

Extremely excited!

hey UBCMD

Congrats and I also got admitted to MPH in GH that day too!

Are you going to attend the program this year?

Just heard from UW health services (SBS), so I figured I'd update, in case anyone else is waiting.

Here is where I stand:

Accepted: Emory (global health), UNC (HBHE), Michigan (HP&M, HBHE), Columbia, Yale (SBS & Global Health), UW (Health Services)

Wait listed: UW (global health)

Rejected: Berkeley (HP&M)

Waiting: Harvard, BU, NYU global health.

Do not fear the ittybitty Hopkins envelope!

Got home today to find an acceptance letter waiting for me!

Something must be up with their online system as its still "pending" so all those waiting have some faith... :)

Now just waiting on UNC....

Since I've been lurking on this for quite some time, I figured it was my turn...

Applied
Minnesnowta
Yale
BU
UAB
Harvard
Arizona
Tulane
GWU

Accepted
UAB (EPI)
Arizona (Public Health Practice in Phoenix-- I wish I knew more about this program, but the class size was only 18 last year in its first year)
Tulane (EPI/Maternal Child Health)
GWU (EPI)

Rejected
Minnesnowta (Epi/MCH)

Waiting
Harvard (Global Health)
BU(Global Health-- was moved from EPI)
Yale (Health Policy)

I'm not really holding my breath about those three since I'm pretty "average" across the boards. I really hate telling people my test stats but my GPA is a 3.5 in Biology.

Experience: Spent summer in Botswana working in Public Health HIV/AIDS clinics (changed my life...)

I have absolutely no clue where I should go, since I wanted to stay at my own school. I'm leaning toward GWU since I love DC, but all of these programs have their perks... any advice?

longtime lurker, joining the club:

stats: undergrad gpa 3.3
GRE: 610V 720Q 5AW
experience: 6 weeks volunteering in Tanzania, 3 years as EMT-B

Sophas submitted: 12/15, mailed 1/05
Accepted: UIC (CHS), Emory (Global Environmental Health)
Rejected: UW (Peace Corps MI program in GH)
Waiting: GW and BU (both GH/IH)

kind of nervous since GW has a notoriously quick turnaround rate and i still havent heard yet. as for now, emorys in the lead

Just heard from UW health services (SBS), so I figured I'd update, in case anyone else is waiting.

Thanks for the update, PHprospect, and congrats on all your acceptances!

How did UW notify you? They are one of two schools I still haven't heard from.

Finally, more news! Just got notification via email of a tuition scholarship and assistantship stipend from Emory (Global Health MPH) and my "unofficial" note of acceptance from Tulane, with official letter to come soon. Still waiting on Johns Hopkins, Harvard, and BU!

Accepted: Emory (Global Health MPH), Columbia (MPH in SMS Global Health Track), Tulane (MPH, Global Maternal and Child Health)
Waiting: Johns Hopkins (MSPH International Health), Harvard (SM Global Health and Population), BU (International Health)

Does anyone know if Johns Hopkins releases decisions during the week or only on Fridays like Harvard?

I received an email acceptance from Tulane today for CHS. I am incredibly excited!

Finally, more news! Just got notification via email of a tuition scholarship and assistantship stipend from Emory (Global Health MPH) and my "unofficial" note of acceptance from Tulane, with official letter to come soon. Still waiting on Johns Hopkins, Harvard, and BU!

Accepted: Emory (Global Health MPH), Columbia (MPH in SMS Global Health Track), Tulane (MPH, Global Maternal and Child Health)
Waiting: Johns Hopkins (MSPH International Health), Harvard (SM Global Health and Population), BU (International Health)

Does anyone know if Johns Hopkins releases decisions during the week or only on Fridays like Harvard?

Congratulations Globalhealth85! Just wondering, when did you receive you acceptance from Emory? Did you interview for the scholarship?

Congratulations Globalhealth85! Just wondering, when did you receive you acceptance from Emory? Did you interview for the scholarship?

Thank you! I was accepted by Emory via email January 24th. I was cold called on Feb 10th for an informal "interview" for scholarship consideration- no preparation time, and we really just chatted for a short time. I got the notification today :)

Thanks for the update, PHprospect, and congrats on all your acceptances!

How did UW notify you? They are one of two schools I still haven't heard from.

They let me know by e-mail yesterday.

Now I just need to hear about financial aid - that is going to be the biggest factor for me!

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Just called Columbia again today to ask if they had a finalized date for sending out decisions.

Response? "Between now and the end of the month."

I don't know if I can wait until the end of the month! :scared:

I just got scholarship notification from Emory' s Global Health program as well, for partial tuition and assistantship. I didn't interview or anything, this e-mail was the first I've heard of it.

Good luck to all.

Just found out that I have been recommended for a 5k fellowship at Berkeley! I didn't even think they would let me in, let alone offer me any money!

Congrats to everybody else with good news as well and good luck to those still waiting!

Last edited:
same thing from emory but for epi dept

I just got scholarship notification from Emory' s Global Health program as well, for partial tuition and assistantship. I didn't interview or anything, this e-mail was the first I've heard of it.

Good luck to all.

Got a merit scholarship from Emory as well and the assistantship for Global Health! Really excited about the opportunity to work closely with a professor there!

I didn't get a call for an interview, but I visited there a couple of weeks ago and spoke with a few professors, no one said anything about any of the meetings being an interview though, haha. I'll take it though!

Thought I would join in:

Stats:
GPA: 3.3
GRE: 610 V 790 Q 4.0 W
B.S in Molecular Biology and have been working in an HIV Vaccine Research Lab for the past 2 years. I applied into MPH programs at all of the schools listed.

Accepted: U Minn (Epi), Yale (EMD)
Rejected: UW Epi
Waiting: Berkeley (ID & I), Michigan (International Health/ Epi)

Anyone else here applied to the ID & I at UCB? I am anxiously awaiting to hear back from them! Also, any one who has been accepted at Yale received financial info?

Got a merit scholarship from Emory as well and the assistantship for Global Health! Really excited about the opportunity to work closely with a professor there!

I didn't get a call for an interview, but I visited there a couple of weeks ago and spoke with a few professors, no one said anything about any of the meetings being an interview though, haha. I'll take it though!

Congratulations Awapi!!!! So happy for you!!! How did you get notified of the merit scholarship? Did you pay the acceptance fee first? Did you have to apply for the assistanship? thanks

Congratulations Awapi!!!! So happy for you!!! How did you get notified of the merit scholarship? Did you pay the acceptance fee first? Did you have to apply for the assistanship? thanks

Thank you! They emailed me about it with an attachment of an official letter offering the scholarship and the assistantship. I did not apply separately for the assistantship, it just said in the letter that I have been awarded $x tuition scholarship and an assistantship of $x per semester "to provide an opportunity for you to work with a member of the faculty or partner agency." I would assume that this is kind of like work study, but I've heard that work study generally is no more than about $1500 a semester and the assistantship is more than that.

As of the time I got the email today I had not paid my fee yet, I was waiting to see what scholarship offers I got from schools to make a final decision on where to go. I am really honored/excited by what Emory offered me and put my decision form in the mail this afternoon after I read the email. Can't wait for next fall to start!!!

Hi. Anybody not receive the Harvard summer session email? I'm pretty sure they're giving me the axe:( Doesn't matter since I'm not going there, but it's a blow to my ego for sure. I tried to withdraw today and they said I couldn't withdraw at this point because I decision was made. Ugh.

Hi. Anybody not receive the Harvard summer session email? I'm pretty sure they're giving me the axe:( Doesn't matter since I'm not going there, but it's a blow to my ego for sure. I tried to withdraw today and they said I couldn't withdraw at this point because I decision was made. Ugh.

Lol most people who did not receive an answer yet thought that the email was a way of saying "No thanks, you didn't get in". But apparently some admitted students have also received the email so I think it's just a generic email.
Ohh a decision was already made? Are they waiting for Friday to let you know? I don't know what's up with them and Fridays.
Who knows you may have gotten in!

When did you submit your app to Tulane?

Lol most people who did not receive an answer yet thought that the email was a way of saying "No thanks, you didn't get in". But apparently some admitted students have also received the email so I think it's just a generic email.
Ohh a decision was already made? Are they waiting for Friday to let you know? I don't know what's up with them and Fridays.
Who knows you may have gotten in!

Doubt it but I guess we'll see soon enough. They've promised me a decision this week by email. Great:(