Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted: UPitt (BCHS), UMinn (CHE), Tulane (CHS), UMich (HBHE)
Rejected: UCB (HSB)
Waiting: UCLA (CHS), UIC (CHS)

Berkeley was my top choice and they turned me down, those fools! Ah well. I'm curious as to why though, beyond the standard "the competition was keen and decisions were difficult to make". Have any of you contacted the school(s) that rejected you and asked for more info? What's the best approach? Who do you address the question to?

Accepted: UPitt (BCHS), UMinn (CHE), Tulane (CHS), UMich (HBHE)
Rejected: UCB (HSB)
Waiting: UCLA (CHS), UIC (CHS)

Berkeley was my top choice and they turned me down, those fools! Ah well. I'm curious as to why though, beyond the standard "the competition was keen and decisions were difficult to make". Have any of you contacted the school(s) that rejected you and asked for more info? What's the best approach? Who do you address the question to?

Oh! I just checked the UCLA site & I was accepted! Yay!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like a big day for people to hear about funding. I haven't gotten the official notice yet, but was emailing with someone at UNC today and was told that I got a merit assistantship- tuition, stipend, and health insurance for 1 year plus my choice of available faculty projects to work on. I was already leaning towards UNC, but am definitely leaning even more towards them now!

I still haven't hear from Tulane, which I'm surprised about, since it sounds like most folks have heard from them. Congratulations to everyone!

Yale YAY!!!

so, so far, Emory, Minnesota, Tulane n now Yale.
still waiting for Havard and Hopkins.

No word yet about any scholarship :confused:
really need to get some financial aid.
btw, anyone know why Yale has a unit load of just 16 while Hopkins has 96??!!!

Just got an acceptance to Tulane today via email.

So far...
Accepted: Michigan, Emory, Dartmouth, Brown (merit scholarship), UTHouston, TAMU, and now Tulane...

Waiting: columbia, hopkins, yale

Brown seems to me like they have a solid program (no school). I'm really considering going- what are all of your thoughts/experiences regarding Brown's MPH program? Just curious if anyone has had any contact with faculty or students...Thanks!

Yale YAY!!!

so, so far, Emory, Minnesota, Tulane n now Yale.
still waiting for Havard and Hopkins.

No word yet about any scholarship :confused:
really need to get some financial aid.
btw, anyone know why Yale has a unit load of just 16 while Hopkins has 96??!!!

Congrats on Yale! Which program did you apply to? BTW what do you mean by unit load?!?

I still haven't hear from Tulane, which I'm surprised about, since it sounds like most folks have heard from them. Congratulations to everyone!

Hi,
I felt that way, too. I wouldn't worry about it. When I emailed them to confirm receipt, the response sounded like they dug through a huge pile and happened to see my name which made me very nervous. (Just the visual image of how they worded the confirmation :) ) However, I actually had to read the acceptance email twice to make sure they weren't saying I was rejected.

When did you submit your application? It took a little over a month to hear back but I noticed a number of people on this forum had a 2-3 week response time.

Jaya

Anyone else waiting on UNC? I feel like im the only one who hasnt heard... :scared:

I applied to the MPH and the MSPH to PhD... hoping that didnt work against me... I havent heard about either so Im assuming the worst...

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat...

When did you submit your application? It took a little over a month to hear back but I noticed a number of people on this forum had a 2-3 week response time.

Jaya

I submitted my application on Jan. 9th, and SOPHAS mailed it on Jan. 12th.

Seems like a big day for people to hear about funding. I haven't gotten the official notice yet, but was emailing with someone at UNC today and was told that I got a merit assistantship- tuition, stipend, and health insurance for 1 year plus my choice of available faculty projects to work on. I was already leaning towards UNC, but am definitely leaning even more towards them now!

Congrats on the scholarship! Did you apply for a Master's or doctoral program? I was told 1st year Master students rarely get funding, so if you did that is great!

Anyone else waiting on UNC? I feel like im the only one who hasnt heard... :scared:

I applied to the MPH and the MSPH to PhD... hoping that didnt work against me... I havent heard about either so Im assuming the worst...

I am still waiting too. I applied for the MPH in MCH. I called last week and was told that I will probably hear a decision sometime this week. *fingers crossed*

I'm still waiting. I only applied MSPH to PhD, which is probably a bit of a reach, and am kicking myself for not putting forth the extra effort to apply to MPH as well. I called yesterday to inquire about the next round of decisions, if there is such a thing. I was told my application was under review and they would probably meet within the next week to decide and I should know by March 10th. This is for HBHE, btw. You might want to call and ask if you're getting worried, or perhaps hang tight another week or so and maybe you'll hear something. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
ahhhh thank you for responding!! I applied for the HBHE dept. Such a relief to hear Im not the only one :)

When I called two weeks ago, they assured me that id hear either last week or this week... With their accepted students day three weeks away, Im definitely stressing...

Are you guys leaning towards anywhere in particular? Its weird, now that Ive been accepted to different places, its making me want the one place I havent heard from (unc) the most! :cool:

ahhhh thank you for responding!! I applied for the HBHE dept. Such a relief to hear Im not the only one :)

When I called two weeks ago, they assured me that id hear either last week or this week... With their accepted students day three weeks away, Im definitely stressing...

Are you guys leaning towards anywhere in particular? Its weird, now that Ive been accepted to different places, its making me want the one place I havent heard from (unc) the most! :cool:

No problem! Also glad to hear I'm not the only one! Did they say that your decision was coming either last week or this week for both MPH and MSPH to PhD?

I didnt ask specifically but it seemed like all decisions would be out by the end of this week... she said that they were having the final meetings these past two weeks.

I didnt ask specifically but it seemed like all decisions would be out by the end of this week... she said that they were having the final meetings these past two weeks.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep my eyes peeled this week then! At this point I really want to know what my options are so that I can sit down and make some big old personal/financial pro and con lists. Good luck to you and congrats on the acceptances so far!

Congrats everyone!

My top two schools are Columbia and UCLA. I got into Columbia for epi, but am waitlisted for UCLA. :( If you got into UCLA, when is your statement of intent due? Just want to know.. so I can figure out when they'll even consider the waitlist people.

Thanks so much!

Congrats everyone!

My top two schools are Columbia and UCLA. I got into Columbia for epi, but am waitlisted for UCLA. :( If you got into UCLA, when is your statement of intent due? Just want to know.. so I can figure out when they'll even consider the waitlist people.

Thanks so much!

Deadline is May 1st

In at Hopkins MHA. Notified via email today.

Accepted: UCLA, Columbia, Hopkins, UT Houston

Rejected: Yale, Harvard

Still waiting: NYU Wagner!!!! :mad:

So far...
Accepted: Michigan, Emory, Dartmouth, Brown (merit scholarship), UTHouston, TAMU, and now Tulane...

Brown seems to me like they have a solid program (no school). I'm really considering going- what are all of your thoughts/experiences regarding Brown's MPH program? Just curious if anyone has had any contact with faculty or students...Thanks!

Brown was very responsive and was extremely helpful in the application process for me. I'm going out to visit them in 2 weeks and will be meeting with the Dean, admissions coordinator, faculty, and having lunch with a current student. PM me if you have any questions.

Alum from the MPH program at Brown. You (or anyone else) can PM me with questions. I will try my best to answer them :)

So far...

I am an international student who has just been accepted into Harvard and Johns Hopkins MPH (Fall 2011) program but have no scholarship. Please advise me, is it worth taking a loan of $65k to go Harvard.

Congrats on Yale! Which program did you apply to? BTW what do you mean by unit load?!?

thanks!
applied for their AP MPH program. initially, my application was for the mph prog, but they snt me a mail last week asking me if i meant to apply for the AP(advanced professional) MPH prog. I said YES!

Yale has a minimum of 16 course unit mph prog.
most other schools have an average of 40. hopkins is about 96.
not too sure about the differences though n the reasons behind them.
any ideas?

Congrats on the scholarship! Did you apply for a Master's or doctoral program? I was told 1st year Master students rarely get funding, so if you did that is great!

Thank you! Yes, it's for a Master's- MPH in HBHE.

Just heard back from Columbia. Accepted to SMS Global Health!!! SO EXCITED!

I just found out yesterday that I'm on the waitlist for UCLA which is my first choice (MPH Epi) :(

I've been accepted to Yale, GWU, and BU. Ahhhh UCLA, why do you do this to me?

Is anyone else on the waitlist for UCLA? Does anyone know what my chances are of getting in?? Does this happen a lot?

To the people that were accepted into UCLA: When is your deadline to send in your letters of intent? I'd like to get a timeline of approximately when you have to give them your answers so that the waitlisted people can get a chance :)

THANKS GUYS! :)

Accepted: JHSPH (MPH), Columbia (MPH Epi), Pitt (MPH)
Waiting: HSPH (SM), BU (MPH)

so far so good, but most likely will be going to Hopkins! I actually heard back from Columbia today after emailing them about my admissions decision. I submitted my app back in December and was verified on 12/28, so I asked them what the deal was... they promptly replied with an acceptance email.

BU on the other hand sent me an "Additional Information Request" email, asking me to "submit a brief supplementary statement that details [my] personal goals for a career in public health, noting in particular why believe study at BUSPH will help [me] achieve them."

NO MORE ESSAYS PLEASE.

Just heard back from Columbia and got accepted to MPH in Health Promotion- what took them so freaking long!?!?

so now... brown (w/ merit scholarship) mph vs. columbia

I just found out yesterday that I'm on the waitlist for UCLA which is my first choice (MPH Epi) :(

I've been accepted to Yale, GWU, and BU. Ahhhh UCLA, why do you do this to me?

Is anyone else on the waitlist for UCLA? Does anyone know what my chances are of getting in?? Does this happen a lot?

To the people that were accepted into UCLA: When is your deadline to send in your letters of intent? I'd like to get a timeline of approximately when you have to give them your answers so that the waitlisted people can get a chance :)

THANKS GUYS! :)

Scroll up

finally heard back from Columbia, MPH in biostas, yesss!!

In at Columbia!!! SMS/Health Promotion!!! So happy

Accepted: Tulane, Emory, Drexel, GW, Yale, UIC, Columbia!

Waitlisted: UCLA (Epi)

I got the BU additional info email that has been talked about on a previous thread. Withdrew, I think I have enough interested parties. Narrowing it down to Yale and Columbia. Congratulations to everyone else on their acceptances!

Deadline is May 1st

So... How does it work for the people who got into their #2 school, but got waitlisted at their top choice (ex. UCLA)? Are they supposed to commit to their #2 program before the deadline (say, April 15), pay the hefty deposit, then withdraw from the #2 program if UCLA accepts them in May/June?

Or do people ask the #2 school if they can extra time to decide? Seems like things can get dicey pretty easily...

Those who heard from Columbia today: when was your application submitted/complete? Thanks!

rejected from Harvard. not upset about it at all or really surprised. I added it as a what the hell application at the last minute on SOPHAS and just changed the name from my BU SOP. It was not the right fit for me, and i'm glad i didn't take up an acceptance when there was no way that I was going to go.

So my final tally (all for health policy):
Accepted: Emory, GWU (policy scholars), Columbia ($$), NYU (their global health degree)($$), NYU Wagner ($$$)
Withdrew: BU
Rejected: Harvard

I am debating between GW and the 2 NYU degrees. I'm also going to go to the columbia visit day, but i think i have ruled them out.

It seems like a lot of people have gotten into GW but are going elsewhere. Anyone seriously considering it? Since I want to work in health policy at a think tank or NGO, it seems like a really great option. Now mind you, they haven't released scholarship announcements yet and Wagner giving me quite a bit of money will mean that if i get nothing I will be heading to NY. Thoughts? Anyone?

Just heard back from Columbia. Accepted to SMS Global Health!!! SO EXCITED!

Congrats! I am also in at Columbia for Global Health, but under the department of Population and Family Health, although I imagine we would have some crossover :)

I am still waiting to hear from a couple of schools, but it is looking quite likely I'll end up at Columbia! Although I am now kind of freaking out about the obscene costs involved...

I just found out I got into Columbia for Epidemiology today!!!

I'm really happy, because I wanted to stay in NYC so I applied to Columbia and Hunter, that's it!

I was stalking this site to find out when people were getting answers haha

My stats are:
V660 Q770 AW4 (but I demonstrated this was a fluke)
GPA 3.47
3yrs (as of this summer) work experience lab research

BTW I submitted Jan 14 at 11:30pm and it was marked complete Feb 7 following a phone call

I am an international student who has just been accepted into Harvard and Johns Hopkins MPH (Fall 2011) program but have no scholarship. Please advise me, is it worth taking a loan of $65k to go Harvard.

Hi Pubhealth01,

I believe it is a personal choice. I have also been accepted to both Harvard and Hopkins and ended up choosing Harvard since I am more interested in the particular concentration there. I also got a financial aid package with all loans, but I figured that when looking back I would not regret a decision to pursue something I really enjoy and really wanted. Also, one of my friends said that I would enjoy living in Boston a lot more than Baltimore. I wish you the best with your decision.

So... How does it work for the people who got into their #2 school, but got waitlisted at their top choice (ex. UCLA)? Are they supposed to commit to their #2 program before the deadline (say, April 15), pay the hefty deposit, then withdraw from the #2 program if UCLA accepts them in May/June?

Or do people ask the #2 school if they can extra time to decide? Seems like things can get dicey pretty easily...
Yeah UCLA is my first choice so I am just going to have to accept my offer to the next best school, send the deposit, etc. while waiting to hear back from ucla. if i do end up getting in, i will definitely withdraw from my #2 school, yes I will loose everything but it would be worth it to me to get my degree from UCLA. I am also located in los angeles and work at ucla, so I have many other reasons for wanting to stay here. don't know if other people are planning on doing the same though...

is the ucla intent deadline really May 1st? gosh, seems like a long time to give people to make up their minds. my other schools gave me until march 15th/april 1st!

thanks for the replies too guys :)

Accepted: Drexel, Tulane, GWU, Pitt. All EPI except Pitt which is Environmental

Rejected: Emory, Yale, Michigan , Arizona

That's exactly what I'm doing. I haven't heard from NYU nor received any type of aid package from UCLA (#1 choice) and I only have until March 15th to accept Hopkins offer of admission with a scholarship. The non-refundable enrollment deposit is $600 I believe. Even if I don't get an extension and pay the deposit I think it's definitely worth it to hold on to a seat, even if my #1 program comes along and gives me a better deal and I end up losing that money. In case UCLA doesn't offer me a similar financial aid package I'll have guaranteed my spot at Hopkins or elsewhere for that matter. At this point whats $500 compared to all the money we'll be paying for tuition at most programs? Good luck

I submitted my application on Jan. 9th, and SOPHAS mailed it on Jan. 12th.

If it makes you feel any better, I submitted my application to SOPHAS on Dec 12, it was mailed Jan 5, and I still haven't heard from Tulane. I e-mailed them on Friday and haven't heard anything. I figure that I'll give it a week and call on Monday if they haven't responded. I feel like a wait this long isn't good news. :(

Long time watcher of the message boards, but today is finally the day to post! I just got the letter I've been waiting for: accepted to the Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases program at Yale!:love:

Stats:
3.7 GPA with a BS in Biological Sciences
GRE: 640 V, 760 Q, 4 AW
1 year research experience, 1 publication

Accepted: Yale, UT Austin
Rejected: None
Waiting: BU, Columbia

Has anyone who has been accepted into UCLA received any word yet on financial aid?

This forum has been incredibly helpful during the application and waiting period, so I figured it was time to post my own info. MPH program in Health Policy unless otherwise noted.

Applied: Columbia , BU, GW, Yale, NYU (MPA), Hopkins (MSPH)
Accepted: Columbia, GW, Yale, NYU, Hopkins
Still Waiting: BU

Stats
GPA: 3.6 (Public Health and Sociology undergrad)
GRE: 580 V, 680 Q, 5 AW
3 years volunteer experience in direct service during undergrad, 2.5 years work experience in social policy research

This may be an odd question, but has anyone accepted to HSPH gotten a real paper hard-copy acceptance letter via snail mail?
I just want one so 1) I make sure this is real and 2) I can frame it. :D (j/k!)

I didn't get a paper acceptance letter. I did get the PDF files from their link in their acceptance email.

Congrats! I am also in at Columbia for Global Health, but under the department of Population and Family Health, although I imagine we would have some crossover :)

I am still waiting to hear from a couple of schools, but it is looking quite likely I'll end up at Columbia! Although I am now kind of freaking out about the obscene costs involved...

Awesome! I'm looking forward to meeting you. Will you be attending either of the Admit Days?