Accepted Into Nycom Med-prep: Advice Needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalmd06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, NYCOM just called me, a day after I recieved my wait-list notification, and I have been accepted into the Med-Prep Program. Anyone else here go through the program? Any tips or advice? I'm psyched!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, NYCOM just called me, a day after I recieved my wait-list notification, and I have been accepted into the Med-Prep Program. Anyone else here go through the program? Any tips or advice? I'm psyched!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::clap::clap::biglove::biglove::biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)

I assume the Med-prep program is like a masters program and hopefully they like what they see sorta thing. With your MCAT and your GPA I would not do a masters or any prep program. Usually these programs are 2 years long and can be costly. Your stats should be good enough to get you into a school next year. Did you apply late? I know you would like to stay in the Northeast area but you have a much better chance if you apply broadly. If you apply early and broadly I do not think you'll have any trouble getting into med school. Try some of the other lower tier allo's along with osteopathic schools.

I would only do the med-prep if you are dead set on staying in NYC and don't mind doing the med-prep program for a couple of years.

Congrats though:thumbup:

Thanks man, but If I pass the Med Prep program AT NYCOM I will most likely be accepted for Fall 2008.

Can anyone provide a little more in-depth information about the Med-Prep program?

I assume the Med-prep program is like a masters program and hopefully they like what they see sorta thing. With your MCAT and your GPA I would not do a masters or any prep program. Usually these programs are 2 years long and can be costly. Your stats should be good enough to get you into a school next year. Did you apply late? I know you would like to stay in the Northeast area but you have a much better chance if you apply broadly. If you apply early and broadly I do not think you'll have any trouble getting into med school. Try some of the other lower tier allo's along with osteopathic schools.

I would only do the med-prep if you are dead set on staying in NYC and don't mind doing the med-prep program for a couple of years.

Congrats though:thumbup:

NYCOM Medprep is absolutely not a postbach program (which is what you're explaining). It is a course given over the summer before 1st year starts, where you go through some of the stuff you will learn in medical school, and if you pass the exams, you are accepted into the 1st year class beginning that august (so currently the class of 2012). I didn't do the program myself, so I don't know many specifics, but do a search on here, because I know there was a somewhat recent thread about this, and there were some sdn'ers on there that went through the program.

Hey whats up dude. Im a fellow 2012 med prep'er. I was kinda lost myself about what the program actually entailed especially since the the director of the program at nycom was sometimes difficult to reach and not many ppl on SDN seemed to know much about it as well. Since then however NYCOM has sent me more info (i.e housing app, program schedule, health forms) . Basiclly the program runs about a month (from May 30th to June 27th). From what I can see on the schedule they sent its a mon-fri 9 to 5 ish schedule with anywhere from 3 to 5 classes per day (Organ Histo, Physio, Path,and Pharm) mixed in with OMM, independent study, small group discussion and various workshops (stress mngt, finan aid,Test taking, etc). It looks pretty intense but definetly do'able. Provided we make it through the month, which im sure we all will we gain automatic acceptance into the class of 2012:D. As far as housing goes I think there putting us up in the NYIT dorms...that is if your not from the area. i'm not sure how many of us there are though. From what I hear its usually a pretty small group.

Hey whats up dude. Im a fellow 2012 med prep'er. I was kinda lost myself about what the program actually entailed especially since the the director of the program at nycom was sometimes difficult to reach and not many ppl on SDN seemed to know much about it as well. Since then however NYCOM has sent me more info (i.e housing app, program schedule, health forms) . Basiclly the program runs about a month (from May 30th to June 27th). From what I can see on the schedule they sent its a mon-fri 9 to 5 ish schedule with anywhere from 3 to 5 classes per day (Organ Histo, Physio, Path,and Pharm) mixed in with OMM, independent study, small group discussion and various workshops (stress mngt, finan aid,Test taking, etc). It looks pretty intense but definetly do'able. Provided we make it through the month, which im sure we all will we gain automatic acceptance into the class of 2012:D. As far as housing goes I think there putting us up in the NYIT dorms...that is if your not from the area. i'm not sure how many of us there are though. From what I hear its usually a pretty small group.

Hi! I was just accepted to the Med Prep program for 2009. Would you guys mind giving me some feedback about your experience. I was told that if you complete the program succesfully you are evaluated for admission. I guess this is a conditional acceptance? Please let me know what you guys think and any tips you may want to share are greatly appreciated!...good luck and best of luck to all of you ;)

Hi there. I'm a second year and from what I understand (I never went through it myself), if you are accepted into the MedPrep program and successfully complete it, you are pretty much in. I don't know the stats on how many people go into MedPrep vs. how many people make it into the class but I bet if you do a search you might find something. There have been a few MedPrep threads over the past couple years. Good luck!

Is NYCOM the only medical school with this kind of program?

If you're in this program, does it mean you've got a pretty good chance of being accepted? What GPA should you maintain in order to get accepted into med school?

Hi guys. First of all congratulations on being accepted. I was a med prepper so can understand your confusion and all your questions. PM me if you want to ask anything.

Second, as for housing. When I was a med prepper I (unfortunately) lived in the dorms with other med preppers. However, I knew a few people who subletted for the 6 week program. I wish I had looked into this option further - So I am subletting my room for the med prep program if any of you are interested. It is $975 for the entire 6 week program and you will have a room in my 3 bedroom apartment. It has two bathrooms, Large kitchen and living room (hofstra does not have a friedge btw), garage with driveway, parking lot, private washer/dryer, and central air and a balcony/porch. You can either pay an extra $100 up front and Ill take care of the utilties no matter what they come out to for the 6 weeks you are here or you can just pay my other roommate your share when the bills come in. This apartment is 10 mins from school, near several grocery stores, restaurants, CVS, take out, and cheap gyms (retro and planet) If you are interesting in subletting please PM me.

NYCOM is the only DO school that has an HCOP program. There are several other MD schools that have HCOP.

If you're in this program, does it mean you've got a pretty good chance of being accepted? What GPA should you maintain in order to get accepted into med school?

You just have to complete the program. It used to be a conditional acceptance, but it no longer is conditional. You just have to have perfect attendence.

there are no NYIT dorms that I know of. The past two years Med preppers stayed in the hofstra dorms. That is where I stayed when I was a med prepper. (i didn't really like it) but at least they provide something right? :) congrats on being accepted!

Darling, check the date of the thread. This guy is likely doing rotations now.