Accepted to UPenn but not attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
June is almost here and hopefully good news for everyone! Good luck! :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

have you heard anything DRJ2B? best of luck to you!!! i hope you get in because you'll definately make the class a more enthusiastic one

wends said:
have you heard anything DRJ2B? best of luck to you!!! i hope you get in because you'll definately make the class a more enthusiastic one

Hey wends!

How are you? Thank you for the very kind and supportive statments. I really appreciate the good luck. Good luck with everything as well. I have not heard anything yet but I am anxiously awaiting a call. UPenn is going to accept more people off the waitlist in June and I hope I am one of them. Where will you be heading? :) :luck: :D :)

Members don't see this ad :)
June is here! Let those acceptances off the waitlist roll in to all of us! Any good news today? :) :luck: :luck: :)

I am excited too.....I hope more penn acceptances come off the waitlist this month! I was wondering if anybody has gotten in off the list that was not "top of tier 1".......I am just in regular tier 1.......... Also does anybody know a SDNer that is on the penn list and the washu waitlist?

Hey baddream,

I am on both Penn's (tier 1, not the 'top') and Wash U's waitlist, and I am anxiously waiting to hear back from either school. FYI, Bigbaubdi was accepted off of tier 1 recently so it does look like they are taking some off of our list. Good luck on both waitlists......hopefully we'll hear some good news soon :horns: PM me sometime....especially if you have any dirt on the WashU waitlist (lets not contaminate this Penn thread with WashU jibber-jabber)

:thumbup:felipe

DrJ2B said:
Hey LionInTheDark!

Thank you so much for posting that info and all the cool places in Philly to chill. I wish you the best of luck at the medical school you have decided on. :luck: Where will you be heading? Have a great summer! :D

Keep those withdrawals coming! :D

Hey DrJ2B,

Just as a follow-up, I'll be going to Pitt in August, so I'll see you there if you decide to keep your place in our class!

FYI- Gaye leaves a voicemail if you're not available when she calls with the good news...

Best,
Lion

LionInTheDark said:
Hey DrJ2B,

Just as a follow-up, I'll be going to Pitt in August, so I'll see you there if you decide to keep your place in our class!

FYI- Gaye leaves a voicemail if you're not available when she calls with the good news...

Best,
Lion

Hey Lion!

Awesome! Congrats on Pitt. Thanks for the info. I will definitely see you at Pitt if I do not get into UPenn or Yale. Good luck with everything! :) :D

Any good news today? :D Good luck everyone! :luck: Waitlist movement should start up again soon.

This thread is slouchin'. It needs a BUMP! :D

Any good news today, y'all? Any news about waitlist movement? Holla at a boy! :D Good luck everyone! Acceptances should be coming soon. ::crosses fingers:: :luck: :luck: :)

Dr. J2B

I've been following this thread and I wanted to wish you the best of luck with UPENN. Considering your dedication to the school, it would be a mistake for them not to let you in. Good luck

AJ

j2b,

i think u need to relax with this ish- go outside.
ur constant, unneeded bumps arent helping u much.

mmz6

Members don't see this ad :)
j2b's bumps are probably not helping with whether upenn accepts him/her, but it is helping him/her. i dont think a person can truly relax when in this situation. this forum is to give people support, and j2b needs this right now. plus, news about other people getting off the waitlist will help also

good luck!! :D

Hey ajnak182 and wends!

Thank you so much for the support. It is a long and very agonizing process and I am trying to deal with everything the best I can. I really appreciate all the great vibes and support I am getting from SDN which help me work through all my anxiety and worrying. :D

Anybody get some good news today? :)

DrJ2B said:
Anybody get some good news today? :)

I hope you get into Med School DrJ. Can I call you Dr. J ... that is an awesome name for a very good reason :cool:

Anyways, Hope things work out for you. Bigbaubdi got into Penn, no doubt, great school.

When you get into Penn, be prepared to pull some Edward 40-HandZ the night you get the call.... :D

JohnHolmes said:
I hope you get into Med School DrJ. Can I call you Dr. J ... that is an awesome name for a very good reason :cool:

Anyways, Hope things work out for you. Bigbaubdi got into Penn, no doubt, great school.

When you get into Penn, be prepared to pull some Edward 40-HandZ the night you get the call.... :D

Thanks for the support man! UPenn should be accepting some more people soon and I really hope I am privileged to be one of them. I am going to hope and pray for the best. Good luck to everyone waiting. We should hear if someone got a new acceptance soon. :luck: :luck: :)

Has anyone heard today? Anyone know how the waitlist is moving? Has UPenn accepted anyone in June yet? Good luck everyone! :luck: :luck: Hopefully, some of us will hear this week. Keep that hope! :)

I called on Tuesday of last week to discuss something with Gaye that we had spoken about before, and, after leaving a message with the office and getting no call back, I called again on Wednesday. She was again in a meeting (and had programs the day before), but I needed to change the call-back number anyway so no biggie. A week later I still haven't heard anything, and I called again today...still wasn't available. Hopefully when she does find the time to return the call, she will have good news, otherwise I am going to be pissed. I am not trying to be a pain in the ass for nothing...I actually had a real reason to call. It is a good thing I am mad busy, and this isn't the only thing i have to worry about.

jrmgarbage said:
I called on Tuesday of last week to discuss something with Gaye that we had spoken about before, and, after leaving a message with the office and getting no call back, I called again on Wednesday. She was again in a meeting (and had programs the day before), but I needed to change the call-back number anyway so no biggie. A week later I still haven't heard anything, and I called again today...still wasn't available. Hopefully when she does find the time to return the call, she will have good news, otherwise I am going to be pissed. I am not trying to be a pain in the ass for nothing...I actually had a real reason to call. It is a good thing I am mad busy, and this isn't the only thing i have to worry about.

Hey jrmgarbage!

Calm down a bit. Ms. Sheffler is so busy. Remember she is the Director of Admissions and Financial Aid. She has so many meetings to go to. Do not take it personal. When I last contacted her, she told me all I could do was wait and hope. I have not contacted her in 2 weeks because I do not want to pester her. I spoke to another adcom member that told me only to contact them in late June to inform them of my continued interest. She mentioned that there is a difference between being eager and a pest. Make sure not to cross that line. You do not want to annoy them at all. Adcom members, especially Ms. Sheffler, are so busy with everything. Just be patient. It is so weird for me to say that to someone else. I was doing what you are now, trying to contact them all the time, but you just have to relax. They know how interested you are. You do not have to call them all the time to bring that across. I know it is hard. We are in the same situation having been deferred and then waitlisted. My best advice would be to relax and call them if you have something important to say, but be willing to wait a bit for a response. Waitlist movement is still in its relatively early stages. You still have a chance to get in. Good luck man! I really hope you get in. :luck: :luck: Just wait and relax and go watch the new Harry Potter movie. It rocked! :)

dr. j,
i completely agree with the whole pestering thing, and i am certainly not trying to do so. up to this point, i have mainly just emailed them updates and whatnot, and haven't even really spoken to gaye over the phone since i don't know when (although she did leave me a voicemail a few weeks back, but i responded with an email). the reason i was trying to contact her was to follow-up to something we had discussed before (over email) in the very beginning of may. having not even thought about contacting the office in over a month (mainly because i was on business trips), i wouldn't think it to be over-the-top for me to speak with her now. nonetheless, i realize she is a busy lady, but i have had better luck corresponding to nobel laureates and transplant surgeons (both of which, i would guess, are far busier than the admissions office). of course, that is in the eye of the beholder. she is certainly a very nice and able lady, and i am thankful for the help she has given me/us up to this point. just please return my call. ;)

anywho, i am being very patient about getting a response regarding admissions...i will wait till the end if i have to. this whole waiting thing gets a little disheartening at times, but, if i may quote nietzsche, "increscunt animi, virescit volnere virtus." i need a drink.

Hey jrmgarbage!

I really do admire your determination. I will also be waiting until the last minute if I must. I have wanted to go to UPenn since my freshman year of college. It is really hard to wait and not to think about it every second of every day. I have never invested so much effort in my entire life. I wish you the best of luck man. Ms. Sheffler will get back to you, even if it takes a while. Enjoy your summer and remember we have nothing to sneeze at. Pitt is a phenomenal school. :luck: :)

--DrJ2B

Hey Dr. J2B, even though I don't know you, I'm rooting for you to get into UPenn. Hope the waitlist moves for you. :luck:

yeah, i think, regardless of what happens, we will make out just fine. this is just practice for many times in our lives when we won't be getting exactly what we want. looking back in a few years, i am guessing this will pale in comparison.

Tiki said:
Hey Dr. J2B, even though I don't know you, I'm rooting for you to get into UPenn. Hope the waitlist moves for you. :luck:

Hey Tiki!

Thanks so much for the support. :) I really appreciate all this good luck. Hopefully, it will translate to an acceptance some time soon. Where will you be heading or are you applying this year? Good luck with everything! :luck: :luck:

--DrJ2B

DrJ2B,

I know of a friend that just turned down UPenn for Yale. Sucks for me (cause I want to go to Yale) but great for you! :)

-Ice

ice_23 said:
DrJ2B,

I know of a friend that just turned down UPenn for Yale. Sucks for me (cause I want to go to Yale) but great for you! :)

-Ice

Hey ice_23!

Thank you so much for posting that info. That definitely made my day. :D I am on the waitlist list at Yale too, but would definitely give it up if accepted at UPenn. Good luck with Yale! :luck: :luck: If I am not mistaken, you are in at U Mich, right? It is a great school in its own respect. Too cold for me though. Thanks again man!

---DrJ2B

DrJ2B said:
Hey Tiki!

Thanks so much for the support. :) I really appreciate all this good luck. Hopefully, it will translate to an acceptance some time soon. Where will you be heading or are you applying this year? Good luck with everything! :luck: :luck:

--DrJ2B

Thanks! I'm heading to NJMS. I'm waitlisted at RWJ and I know how it feels to want a waitlist to move so bad that you dream about it. :D

Hopefully we'll both get what we want, but even if our lists don't move, we're still going to be doctors! Good luck!

Tiki said:
Thanks! I'm heading to NJMS. I'm waitlisted at RWJ and I know how it feels to want a waitlist to move so bad that you dream about it. :D

Hopefully we'll both get what we want, but even if our lists don't move, we're still going to be doctors! Good luck!

Hey Tiki!

I wish you the best of luck with getting off the RWJ waitlist. :luck: Both New Jersey schools are great so you will get a great education either way. So what do you do to get your mind off the whole waitlist process? I am in the process of trying to find a summer job so that takes up some of my time. I also go out with friends a great deal and watch so much tv and listen to music. Have you seen the new Harry Potter movie? It was phenomenal! :D Enjoy your summer!

--DrJ2B

I just saw Harry Potter, and it was great. I love the books, and the movies have not dissapointed so far. And to keep myself from thinking about the waitlist (which I must admit, I have not been all that successful in keeping my mind off it) I watch the Cartoon Network. Nothing like some Family Guy and Aqua Teen Hunger Force to keep your mind off of anything remotely serious. I hope all of this cartoon watching doesn't make me stupid by the time school starts. :laugh:

I hope you enjoy your summer, too. And hopefully I'll see a post from you saying you've been accepted to Penn. That'll give the rest of us waiters some hope. :luck:

this thread sucks the life out of me

DrJ2B said:
She mentioned that there is a difference between being eager and a pest.

Do you think she was trying to tell you something or just talking in general?

jrmgarbage said:
dr. j,
i completely agree with the whole pestering thing, and i am certainly not trying to do so. up to this point, i have mainly just emailed them updates and whatnot, and haven't even really spoken to gaye over the phone since i don't know when (although she did leave me a voicemail a few weeks back, but i responded with an email). the reason i was trying to contact her was to follow-up to something we had discussed before (over email) in the very beginning of may. having not even thought about contacting the office in over a month (mainly because i was on business trips), i wouldn't think it to be over-the-top for me to speak with her now. nonetheless, i realize she is a busy lady, but i have had better luck corresponding to nobel laureates and transplant surgeons (both of which, i would guess, are far busier than the admissions office). of course, that is in the eye of the beholder. she is certainly a very nice and able lady, and i am thankful for the help she has given me/us up to this point. just please return my call. ;)

anywho, i am being very patient about getting a response regarding admissions...i will wait till the end if i have to. this whole waiting thing gets a little disheartening at times, but, if i may quote nietzsche, "increscunt animi, virescit volnere virtus." i need a drink.

hey guys,
i've been following this thread since the very beginning and every time it gets bumped up, my heart does a little skip because I think maybe there has been movemet.

jrmgarbage, i am having a similar experience. On Wednesday, I was able to talk to Ms. Sheffler and she said that she would call me back on Thursday with more information about some financial aid infomation I was inquiring about. She sounded very encouraging and I waited by the phone all day on Thursday because my cell phone broke (replaced this weekend). I hate having nothing to do and being glued to the phone.

Fast forward: Thurs, Fri, AND this Monday and no call. I know she's busy but she did say she would call back that Thursday. I'm debating whether I should call or email her (maybe risk being a pest) or whether I should just sit tight. (I am leaving for Europe in a week tho!!.... aghhh!!)

dr. j: as much as people complain about you bumping this post all the time, i'm glad you do because people take notice and keep this thread live!

willthatsall said:
Do you think she was trying to tell you something or just talking in general?

I think she meant in general. I tried to space my calls and letters, but I definitely could have been seen as being on the verge of being a pest. This is why I have tried to limit my contact.

For those who are mad that I bump this thread often, I apologize. I am just trying to see if any new news has come. UPenn is going to accept some more people off the waitlist in June and I hope I will catch someone who will post about getting the good news. Someone can be accepted very soon and I think it is important to see how the waitlist is moving. Having said that, has anyone heard anything new today? Any good news? Good luck everyone! :luck: Good news should be coming any day now!

Hey DrJ2B,

I admire your perseverence. :thumbup:
I truly hope you get off the waitlist soon, you deserve it!

-J

There are students every day now in class with us first years who are on the wait-list. I don't know if they have scheduled re-visits or if they have been called in to revisit, but I do know that there were at least three kids sitting in class with us today and I have seen probably 10 kids in the last week or so whom I did not recognize.
I have no idea if they were offered a spot or not, but I doubt that they would have been called in if Penn weren't planning on getting that list moving.

Hi everyone,

I GOT IN!!!! :D :D :D

I was one of those wait-listers in class about a week and a half ago. I attended UPenn undergrad and so after my graduation and vacation in Mexico, I emailed Gaye and asked if I could come in to drop off some new update material. She replied and asked me to come that same day... During that meeting, she asked me to come back the next day and set up for a 1st year student to take me to her classes. Since I had gotten into Cornell off the waitlist earlier in May, she mentioned that IF I got into Penn, I would have a tough choice to make between the two schools and she just wanted to make sure I had all the information to make a wise decision before going back home to NY.

Fast forward to today when I got a call from her saying that they would like to have me at Penn. I was regular Tier 1, btw. I still can't believe it because I've been thinking about it ever since I got waitlisted in March. I think I'll need to have that acceptance letter in my hands before I can believe it's real.

Dr. J2B and everybody else who is waitlisted, don't give up hope! I think in my case, perserverence and an actual desire to go to the school really did help my cause. :oops:

missmod said:
Hi everyone,

I GOT IN!!!! :D :D :D

I was one of those wait-listers in class about a week and a half ago. I attended UPenn undergrad and so after my graduation and vacation in Mexico, I emailed Gaye and asked if I could come in to drop off some new update material. She replied and asked me to come that same day... During that meeting, she asked me to come back the next day and set up for a 1st year student to take me to her classes. Since I had gotten into Cornell off the waitlist earlier in May, she mentioned that IF I got into Penn, I would have a tough choice to make between the two schools and she just wanted to make sure I had all the information to make a wise decision before going back home to NY.

Fast forward to today when I got a call from her saying that they would like to have me at Penn. I was regular Tier 1, btw. I still can't believe it because I've been thinking about it ever since I got waitlisted in March. I think I'll need to have that acceptance letter in my hands before I can believe it's real.

Dr. J2B and everybody else who is waitlisted, don't give up hope! I think in my case, perserverence and an actual desire to go to the school really did help my cause. :oops:

Hey missmod!

Woot woot! Congrats! Thank you so much for posting! I really appreciate it. I really hope I will join you in August. Did Gaye mention anything about the waitlist movement?

Good luck everyone! I hope this is one of many acceptances to come! :luck:

--DrJ2B

Well, she didn't mention anything about overall movement, but the whole time that we were in contact, she never made it sound like she was waiting for a spot to open up (there are probably more than a few open spots right now, judging from what Classof07 said. :)

I say at this point, give Gaye another call to jiggle her memory. I'm not sure if she would have asked me to come back for a tour if I had not contacted her first.

probably most of y'all know this already, but the Penn waitlist can sometimes move straight through until Aug. a friend of mine (now at Penn Med) was taking off the waitlist the week or something before class started. she had already sent in a deposit and everything at another university, as well as given a security deposit for an apartment there (which she lost). but, its not unheard of.

good luck to you all! i hope you get good news soon, DrJ2B. :luck:

Dodohead said:
probably most of y'all know this already, but the Penn waitlist can sometimes move straight through until Aug. a friend of mine (now at Penn Med) was taking off the waitlist the week or something before class started. she had already sent in a deposit and everything at another university, as well as given a security deposit for an apartment there (which she lost). but, its not unheard of.

good luck to you all! i hope you get good news soon, DrJ2B. :luck:

Thanks so much Dodohead! I really appreciate your support! Will you be going to UPenn?

DrJ2B,
How do you handle it, man? Every time I see this thread bumped up by you, myheart sinks and I hope it is you reporting a call from whoever the dean is at Penn to give you the good word. I have said this before, but despite my lack of interest in Penn (I didn't interview), I still check this thread just because I hope you get in--how f-ing weird is that, seeing as my onkly contact with you was on the Hopkins waitlist thread? ANyway, good luck--you deserve it. Regardless of your academic credentials, which are presumably solid, you deserve Penn on sheer enthusiasm alone. I have never seen anybody so excited about a school for (seemingly) the right reasons.
That being said, a couple of suggestions. Never, and I mean NEVER, type out self-mocking onamonipeia (spelling, anyone), such as "woot! woot!". ANd, abandon the smiley face expressions completely. They come off extremely loose-wristed. Take it easy, and good luck.
Ben

Benjo said:
DrJ2B,
How do you handle it, man? Every time I see this thread bumped up by you, myheart sinks and I hope it is you reporting a call from whoever the dean is at Penn to give you the good word. I have said this before, but despite my lack of interest in Penn (I didn't interview), I still check this thread just because I hope you get in--how f-ing weird is that, seeing as my onkly contact with you was on the Hopkins waitlist thread? ANyway, good luck--you deserve it. Regardless of your academic credentials, which are presumably solid, you deserve Penn on sheer enthusiasm alone. I have never seen anybody so excited about a school for (seemingly) the right reasons.
That being said, a couple of suggestions. Never, and I mean NEVER, type out self-mocking onamonipeia (spelling, anyone), such as "woot! woot!". ANd, abandon the smiley face expressions completely. They come off extremely loose-wristed. Take it easy, and good luck.
Ben

Thank you so much for the advice and support. I understand what you mean. I am happy for the people who get accepted but it is hard to hear other people get accepted while I am still waiting for a call. I am trying to be more patient and concentrate on other things. I am just going to wait it out and hope the waitlist moves enough so I can get a spot.

Has anyone gotten some good news recently? Any new info about waitlist movement? Good luck everyone! :luck: Hopefully, we will soon get that all-important call.

Hey DrJ2B...to answer your question, yes and no :) I'm at Penn now, but not MD, I'm PhD. My husband will be starting Penn MD/PhD in Aug, and he got me hooked to these forums :) Good luck to you!! I admire your perserverence :) They should let you in here on persistence and enthusiasm alone!! :)

good luck man. i was told the waitlist movement at penn is nearly finished.

Newquagmire said:
good luck man. i was told the waitlist movement at penn is nearly finished.

Hey Newquagmire!

Thanks for the info. Did Ms. Sheffler tell you that? Did she mean the bulk of waitlist movement? I ask because people have been accepted from UPenn in July and even a few days before class started.

Has anyone heard any good news lately or anything to confirm what Newquagmire mentioned? Good luck everyone! :luck: Keep the faith alive.

I think newquagmire is right. I called the admissions office yesterday and they said the list is mostly done, but that there can still be a few spots here and there opening up. I PMed the most recent person on SDN to get into penn off the waitlist and she had similar stats to mine, so I can still hope, right?

baddreams55 said:
I think newquagmire is right. I called the admissions office yesterday and they said the list is mostly done, but that there can still be a few spots here and there opening up. I PMed the most recent person on SDN to get into penn off the waitlist and she had similar stats to mine, so I can still hope, right?

you can always still hope my dear........thats about all we can do right now. That, and hit the bottle of course :thumbup: