Acls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up with ACLS? Is it med-school-dependent? Program-dependent?

Last year's thread seemed to have left things hanging.

No cracks about the value of ACLS in pathology, please. Rants on the other hand, are welcome :D

Members don't see this ad.

Both. It was a requirement for me to pass it before I graduated med school, but I think it is not at most med schools. My current program requires it to be passed (I was exempted because I already did). Not sure if all programs are like that though.

I think it's reasonable to expect people to be certified in ACLS, it isn't that hard to pass. It used to be, but now it's a lot nicer. It's not like stupid Step III.

Members don't see this ad :)
deschutes said:
No cracks about the value of ACLS in pathology, please. Rants on the other hand, are welcome :D

I actually think it is quite essential for a pathologist to receive training in ACLS. I have absolutely no idea why anyone would think otherwise.

Just to clear the air, I didn't mean rants about the value of ACLS in pathology training - more like, rants about taking flak jokes from non-pathologists re: mandatory ACLS.

I now have to qualify my interest in my remaining rotations. While standing between the legs of a pushing mum-to-be one morning, the resident asks - "So what are you applying to?"

"Pathology," I say. "But I'd really like to know how to deliver a baby by the end of my 5 weeks here!"

I think they pretty much assume I need to know their stuff. None of them know (and I doubt they'd be interested in knowing) that US path residencies don't have an internship year. Not gonna risk flunking out of my rotations when I am so close to being done!

Path residents have to know ACLS. What happens when one of our patients wakes up on us? :rolleyes:

I HATE that one.