Acls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This a requirement for everyone in a graduate medicine program? Just curious.

I always figured if I had to do mouth to mouth with a corpse it would be on my own time...

Members don't see this ad.

I always figured if I had to do mouth to mouth with a corpse it would be on my own time...

Answers

#1: No

#2: You are a sick individual, stay away from the bowel until you can show some restraint.

Yes, you will probably have to be ACLS certified, even in Pathology.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Not a requirement at my soon-to-be residency program--I checked last month.
2. Way too much information.

They do require it in my program..........which I found odd too, don't think the medical team will want a pathology resident during a code.....;)

Not required for my program. BLS is required by the hospital. I'm sorry to anyone who is going to a program/hospital that requires ACLS. It is painful to do.

Not required for my program. BLS is required by the hospital. I'm sorry to anyone who is going to a program/hospital that requires ACLS. It is painful to do.

You are right my hospital also requires BLS, not really ACLS, but the ACLS is not that bad, I took it before starting IM some yrs ago and it was ok.........though I would not like to do it again....:eek:

Requirement in GME programs that I am familiar with? Not required. BLS yes, of course. I will say this: in my particular job I have a fair amount of exposure to the occasional patient and was urged by higher-ups to re-acquire ACLS certification. Nowadays, it is a freaking CAKEWALK compared to when I did it in med school and my primary care years in the mid and late 90s. I got 2 days off to do the course and it was like a vacation. So much so that I recommended colleagues to do the same if they just wanted a break. Now you can use the algorithm printouts during your megacode, also can ask for input from your colleagues who are observing...or if you are totally screwing it up they can offer guidance unsolicited by you to help you do the right thing. The big things you'd fail for were to shock a non-shockable rhythm or to completely forget to continue CPR while you were trying to figure out what to do next. Seriously, it has gotten much more user friendly, I wouldn't sweat it at all.

not a requirement to my knowledge.

only time you should be worrying about doing mouth to mouth as a path resident, is on another LIVING individual, preferrably in a dark movie theater, dance floor, or even better in your hotel room.

You are right my hospital also requires BLS, not really ACLS, but the ACLS is not that bad, I took it before starting IM some yrs ago and it was ok.........though I would not like to do it again....:eek:

I know that we are required to do ACLS if we are planning on moonlighting in fields other than path. But ACLS has not come up for me for residency or employment,personal DEA # has though. Its kind of funny ive been filling out tons of paperwork recently and the DEA app is probably the easiest, they just want your med license # and around $300. Interesting. Not to change the subject Ive got a NPI but does anyone know what a UPIN is?

ACLS is required at my hospital... we do occasionally see a live patient (blood bank, cytopath), so I'm assuming that's why.
DBH

Last edited:
ACLS wasn't required at any of my programs, & I'm at my 3rd.

Keep in mind that it's less painful to re-certify. You can re-certify as long as your card hasn't expired. If you let it expire, the courses are twice as long.

BLS = 8 hrs (as opposed to 4)
ACLS = 2 days (as opposed to 1)

Many of the institutions will cover the cost of the courses. Unfortunately, you may have to buy the books.

----- Antony

I know that we are required to do ACLS if we are planning on moonlighting in fields other than path. But ACLS has not come up for me for residency or employment,personal DEA # has though. Its kind of funny ive been filling out tons of paperwork recently and the DEA app is probably the easiest, they just want your med license # and around $300. Interesting. Not to change the subject Ive got a NPI but does anyone know what a UPIN is?

i agree 100%. focus on getting the DEA#[don't hafta choose narcotic options if you're scared about that], especially if your program will pay for it. Screw the ACLS.

dunno about UPIN, i'm guessing it's another tracking # similar to NPI, based on http://www.ecare.com/

actually kinda scary, if you just type in your NPI # in google, it pulls up your file in the top search (doubt there's many).

i agree 100%. focus on getting the DEA#[don't hafta choose narcotic options if you're scared about that], especially if your program will pay for it. Screw the ACLS.

dunno about UPIN, i'm guessing it's another tracking # similar to NPI, based on http://www.ecare.com/

actually kinda scary, if you just type in your NPI # in google, it pulls up your file in the top search (doubt there's many).

Got the DEA# today (applied for all schedule options) it took about 2 weeks to process and receive the registration and # via mail. There is an online application takes 5 min max to fill out and the fee is around $500.

I checked out the UPIN thing, is an old system like the NPI and is no longer in use. It is actually replaced by NPI. Hope this helps, I ran across these items in credentialing applications a couple of times.