ACOM medical equipment package

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurseCapitanKirk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been accepted to multiple college and still have a couple interviews to attend but I am most closely looking at attending ACOM. That being said, I just received information regarding the required medical equipment package. If anyone attends ACOM, is this package actually required and do you feel that you used all of the equipment? And the most expensive piece, the diagnostic kit, was it worth it to upgrade to the lithium battery? And I'm a nurse so I already have two littmann stethscopes. Any advice is greatly accepted! Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been accepted to multiple college and still have a couple interviews to attend but I am most closely looking at attending ACOM. That being said, I just received information regarding the required medical equipment package. If anyone attends ACOM, is this package actually required and do you feel that you used all of the equipment? And the most expensive piece, the diagnostic kit, was it worth it to upgrade to the lithium battery? And I'm a nurse so I already have two littmann stethscopes. Any advice is greatly accepted! Thanks for the help!

You will use the equipment during your time at ACOM so you should either get the diagnostic kit or make sure to buy something similar but I can't guarantee they might accept it as a substitute. You will be allowed to bring in your own equipment and show them during Orientation and get approval for substitution but no guarantees. Most students just end up getting the kit from ACOM to avoid those problems. For stethoscopes, same thing but I believe they are more relaxed about it and if you're a nurse, I'm sure yours will suffice. I would just bring it in at orientation and see if they accept it. Hope this helps!

FYI: "Substitutions" as above = refunds for what you already have.
You actually need a stethoscope with both the diaphragm and bell. Technically, you need cardiology quality.
You can actually get any of the items yourself and have those portions refunded to you. It's probably pretty easy for you to get them from nurse/doctor friends. I ended up finding good deals for most of the stuff anyway.
The exception is the panoptic ophthalmoscope, which is pretty hard to find... for a reason -- no one uses it. But they actually use that to teach us the eye exam.

On the DL, you can pretty much not buy anything and just borrow what you need from friends during OSCEs. For the approval portion, you can just ask someone who already got their entire kit before you and use that as an approval.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and no -- the upgrade to the lithium battery isn't really worth it IMO. I don't have it, but I've never had a problem / have only charged mine once and it's still working (1.5 years later).

Just buy everything from a 3rd year going on rotations. they will usually sell it for a few hundred bucks cheaper. That way you end of paying only $600 rather than $1000. Especially if you already have a stethoscope. I am sure 2nd years (incoming 3rd years) will start posting on the FB page to sell theirs. Then just "pay" for the kit with a credit card on the last date (which was in june or something) and get the kit checked off/refund to the cc.

I am a nurse as well and will be starting at ACOM. I spoke with a 2nd year and he said they were told to order the entire kit and you can send any equipment back for a refund that is approved by the faculty during the equipment handout.

Thanks for all the advice guys! And yes I have a littmann cardiology III and the Master Cardiology, So I think I'm set on stethoscopes. Any ideas on places you can find used equipment online if I choose to put together my own package?

I am a nurse as well and will be starting at ACOM. I spoke with a 2nd year and he said they were told to order the entire kit and you can send any equipment back for a refund that is approved by the faculty during the equipment handout.
Congrats, I think I will also attend ACOM in the Fall but taking a couple more interviews to solidify my decision. It will be nice to have to our background to be able to discuss interdisciplinary medicine and relationships with nurses. Also, I see you're from Auburn and I'm from Tuscaloosa, so it'll be fun at ACOM each November!

Congrats, I think I will also attend ACOM in the Fall but taking a couple more interviews to solidify my decision. It will be nice to have to our background to be able to discuss interdisciplinary medicine and relationships with nurses. Also, I see you're from Auburn and I'm from Tuscaloosa, so it'll be fun at ACOM each November!

I believe we will have an interesting and unique perspective as well. I'm originally from Alexander City but have been living in Auburn for a few years. I am always up for some good, fun trash talk during football season!