ACP ITE percentile rank = 7 !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HHH3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was shocked to see my PGY3 ITE results, showing Correct Percentage of 59% (which I can understand), but a percentile rank of 7 (yes, seven)!! It's very strange as my PGY1 ITE was 60% correct and 54 percentile rank. PGY2 ITE was 67% correct and 55 percentile rank, so I was going in the right direction, but this year's percentile rank is scaring me! That means 93% of exam takers did better than me even though I scored 59% correct which is not a bad number, I guess.

Is there something wrong here or if not, should I be worried?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds correct. Your percentile is compared to everyone in your PGY level, not all test takers. So 93% of PGY3s did better than you. Even if you scored the same percentage correct as last year, you would have gone down in percentile rank because PGY3s generally get a higher percentage from PGY1s or 2s, because you should know more..
I would not say you should be "worried" necessarily but I do think you need to figure out a game plan for boards and take that test seriously. I don't think you should have a problem with boards as long as you respect the test and prepare adequately!

No your percentile rank is not wrong. At PGY3 most residents are scoring at least in the high 60s so that's why a score in the 50s you will Result in a low percentile. I read somewhere that average pgy3 average is 69%. But like previous poster stated if you have a game plan and prepare for the boards you will do fine. You have a whole year to study. Also pgy 2 I heard is most predictive and you did well on it.

I have a related question. I'm PGY2. 75% correct ITE SCORE. 81st percentile. What score should I target in PGY3 ITE to comfortably pass the boards when it's time?

Members don't see this ad :)
No your percentile rank is not wrong. At PGY3 most residents are scoring at least in the high 60s so that's why a score in the 50s you will Result in a low percentile. I read somewhere that average pgy3 average is 69%. But like previous poster stated if you have a game plan and prepare for the boards you will do fine. You have a whole year to study. Also pgy 2 I heard is most predictive and you did well on it.

I have a related question. I'm PGY2. 75% correct ITE SCORE. 81st percentile. What score should I target in PGY3 ITE to comfortably pass the boards when it's time?

Your score already says you'll pass boards. The test was designed to be taken on the second year. Scores above the 60%ile showed on track to pass boards.

It was never supposed to be the **** show we have today.

While you will probably pass, the lack of improvement is worrisome. What I am saying is don't blow off studying and perhaps start studying a little early.

don't you have the breakdown of where you did poorly?

Your score already says you'll pass boards. The test was designed to be taken on the second year. Scores above the 60%ile showed on track to pass boards.

According to program leadership a score < 35th percentile is associated with failing boards.

To OP: you should be at least a little worried and start studying seriously earlier because you clearly have significant deficiencies in your knowledge.

To the guy who got 81st percentile as a pgy-2: stfu

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

So how does one interpret the score as a PGY3? What's a safe %tile to have correct?

seriously? i literally answered your question in the post directly above yours

I did see your post. Since a test taker's percentile corresponds only to their respective PGY level, I can't see how that 35%tile would apply to everyone.

I did see your post. Since a test taker's percentile corresponds only to their respective PGY level, I can't see how that 35%tile would apply to everyone.

that 35%tile would apply to everyone BECAUSE a test taker's percentile corresponds only to their respective PGY level

Reactions: 1 user