Acquiring LoRs from Dentists/Specialists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zlg5017

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all.

I've been shadowing a few different general dentists as well as specialists and I'm planning on asking for LoRs soon (from a general dentist or a periodontist). I know that the periodontist would write me a stellar letter, but I feel like the general dentist's letter might be lacking because he's busy and just overall doesn't seem like the guy who would want to write a letter.

Do I ask just the perio? Do I get both? I did hear that there is some preference towards a letter from a general practitioner so that's why I'm concerned; but also don't want a mediocre letter of recommendation on my file.
 
Take a look at the admissions pages for the schools you're going to apply to. Some ask for a letter from a "dental professional", while some say "dentist". I guess periodontists could fall in both categories, but give the schools you're applying to a call to be sure. Sounds like the periodontist would be your best bet.
 
I shadowed a couple of dentists and had substantial experience working at a community clinic. However, for the letter, I chose to use a pediatric dentist who could speak to my interest in academic dentistry and longstanding interest in the profession. I feel like the strength and personally-tailored aspects of the letter were an important aspect of my successful application.