ACT score? I need answers!

lovepink896

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I'm a senior and I got a 16 on the act in June.. obviously I didn't try. I randomly bubbled half the test. I signed up for the ACT in September and I realized that I really need to buckle down. I need to get a 24 on the ACT. is this possible? I bought 5 ACT books ( barrons, Princeton review, Princeton review 1296 problems, The real act prep guide, and chad cargills act book ) and once they come in I will study everyday for the test. Also when school starts my math teacher is going to help me everyday prepare for the act. Does anyone have any successful act stories? Any advice? Oh yeah and this test in September is VERY important. If I don't at least make a 24 then I can't get into college for the spring semester.. Do you think if i study every page of those books and really commit myself then I can make that score on the ACT? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, don't just bubble in "have" of the ACT next time... Fair enough?

Hi :)! I am currently going into my sophomore year in college, and I remembered being a senior taking the ACT just like you. I took my first ACT in June with little studying and received a 26 overall. Disappointed with this score, i decided to put in my time and study to get ready for the september ACT.I used many of the books you mentioned such as Princeton review and Princeton review 1296 and the real act guide. Since it was summer time, I spent my time going through each page of the book and highlighting important information. After going through the Princeton review book, I did the practice tests on the back as well as many of the questions on the 1296 book. The most accurate practice questions, however, came from the real ACT guide since they were actual tests from previous years. Then came September and I took my ACT and received a 27. I was upset because of the all time I put in to study for the test, so then I decided to take the October ACT just in time to still apply to college and sent my scores in on time. I reviewed the same books and did a lot of practice questions. Then I took the october ACT and got a score of 31 which I was happy with. All the work I put in was worth it ,and if you want something bad enough, you WILL get in. So I improved my score from a 26 to a 31, and I believe you can do it too! Believe in yourself and put in the effort then you can accomplish many of your goals. Best of luck to you! And if you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi :)! I am currently going into my sophomore year in college, and I remembered being a senior taking the ACT just like you. I took my first ACT in June with little studying and received a 26 overall. Disappointed with this score, i decided to put in my time and study to get ready for the september ACT.I used many of the books you mentioned such as Princeton review and Princeton review 1296 and the real act guide. Since it was summer time, I spent my time going through each page of the book and highlighting important information. After going through the Princeton review book, I did the practice tests on the back as well as many of the questions on the 1296 book. The most accurate practice questions, however, came from the real ACT guide since they were actual tests from previous years. Then came September and I took my ACT and received a 27. I was upset because of the all time I put in to study for the test, so then I decided to take the October ACT just in time to still apply to college and sent my scores in on time. I reviewed the same books and did a lot of practice questions. Then I took the october ACT and got a score of 31 which I was happy with. All the work I put in was worth it ,and if you want something bad enough, you WILL get in. So I improved my score from a 26 to a 31, and I believe you can do it too! Believe in yourself and put in the effort then you can accomplish many of your goals. Best of luck to you! And if you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)
Thank you so much for that! It makes me feel a lot better :).I'm going to try really hard to get a 24

Okay I'm a senior and I got a 16 on the act in June.. obviously I didn't try. I randomly bubbled half the test. I signed up for the ACT in September and I realized that I really need to buckle down. I need to get a 24 on the ACT. is this possible? I bought 5 ACT books ( barrons, Princeton review, Princeton review 1296 problems, The real act prep guide, and chad cargills act book ) and once they come in I will study everyday for the test. Also when school starts my math teacher is going to help me everyday prepare for the act. Does anyone have any successful act stories? Any advice? Oh yeah and this test in September is VERY important. If I don't at least make a 24 then I can't get into college for the spring semester.. Do you think if i study every page of those books and really commit myself then I can make that score on the ACT? thanks!

Just take practice tests and see what you don't and do know.
My cousin did poorly the first time...somewhere around your score. Then she upped it to like 20 something.
And her English is not awesome.
She is taking it one more time this year I think. She is trying, so I guess it is okay if you try. GOOD LUCK.
And not to boast or anything...but I have no idea how I got my score. I tried and got around the late 20s.
I presume if you try, you do actually pretty well. ;)

If you actually go through with your career plan, you better learn now how to study for large tests. And I'll be honest, you should shoot for MUCH higher than a 24. That might be all you need to get in to a college you're looking at, but it's the principle of only doing the minimum that will get you in trouble.

Start studying now. Buy "The Real ACT Study Guide" and go through every test timed. I'm assuming the reason you filled half the test in blank is because you ran out of time. I mean a 16 by a future healthcare provider..... That's absurd!

If you think you are going read every page of those books, you are mistaken. Just figure out the one you like best and focus on that one.

You can easily get a 24. A good friend of mine was #1 in his class, but scored only a 22 on his ACT because he bombed the english section. He practiced the english section, destroyed it on his next test and ended up getting a 29 on the ACT.

The ACT is half as important as most of you think it is, but you do need to get a decent score. You'll be fine with anything above a 25.

You can do it! Just practice, and you should be fine. Also I do agree that you should shoot for higher. It makes it more likely imo that you'll study more to get it. But yeah, good luck :thumbup:

You can do it! I got a 31 my first time taking it and after studying for 1 or 2 hours a day for a couple months I got it up to a 34 (with a 36 in one section!). I feel like the ACT is a lot easier to improve on by studying than the SAT. In addition to studying the books make sure to do a lot of (timed!!!) practice tests.

The key is more practice tests rather than learning content, at least for me.

Get the 5 official practice ACT tests and take them under real conditions. This means real timers for starting and stopping, no disturbances, all quiet.

Take 1, then the NEXT day go over your mistakes and why you made them.

Repeat every week at least once. Make sure you have taken and gone over all 5 before the real deal.

I managed to get a 31 on my 1st attempt. Although if I took it another time I could have probably managed a bit more, it was more than good enough for me.

Practice, practice, practice.

A 24 on the ACT is easily attainable. But Obviously you have to give it your best effort. I dont see why you didn't try to first time? The books and tutoring can help. I didn't use the books or tutoring but i should have. Once i got accepted into the school I was going after i didn't worry about raising my score anymore except for meeting certain standards for Bright future funding in Florida. Aim high and you can work your way up there.

Just remember to not worry yourself so much on the ACT score if you hit a stalemate later on. Your GPA, activities, and SAT help a bunch when it comes to applications. Also if there is an essay, if its optional do it!

Last edited:

I'm not always the sharpest pencil in the bunch, but bubbling in random answers probably isn't the best idea :p

I pulled a 30 with major studying and test prep classes. Seeing that you're deadset on taking it in September (1 month away), I suggest you start studying after my last word! I studied for 3 weeks.

If you had more time, you might could find more resources, but seeing that it's about a month away, I suggest you find you weakest subject(s) (Math, Science, Reading, or English) and study hard in those

Good luck :thumbup:

Buying 5 review books with the test only a month away is a huge mistake and a waste of money. You probably won't even touch most of them. Also if you were serious about this you would have started your prep way earlier than this. A score of 16 means there's either some sort of knowledge gap with the material (i.e. not knowing the grammar rules on the english section or not knowing the math required for the math section) or there was a major flaw in your test taking strategy. Both of those would be hard to fix in just 1 month but I suppose it's possible if you devote enough time to it. And by enough I mean possibly 5-6 days a week and 3-4 hours a day of preparation.

Is there any way you could move the test back a month or 2? That would really help you in terms of making a solid study plan that can really raise your score 8-10 points. If you can't, my best advice would be to just practice from now until test day. Do at least one practice test per week (2 if you can) and then figure which questions you're missing the most and review the content that goes along with them. Look up test taking strategies for the ACT. There are many published ones out there that are written by students themselves who scored 34+ on the exam.

Like others have said, you need to master test taking now since being pre-health is all about standardized testing. A 24 is by no means a "bad" score, but it's certainly not exceptional. I believe a 21 or so is about the national average.

Good luck.

Okay before the ACT in june people gave me the impression that tje act was easy. They said stuff like "I didn't even study and I got a 29" or "I just guessed on it all and got a 30" and all this stuff. I know it was stupid but I thought I could do the same.. which turned out terrible.
Actually I have been studying this whole summer and I am in an AP class. I just feel like I should study everything I can before the test. and I am not a terrible test taker.. I just took a practice test in the english section with trying and prep and got a 27.. I just wanted advice to see if getting these books would be any use to me.. thank you to the ones who wrote nice encouraging answers.. and I am also taking the ACT in October so I have two test that depend on if im going to college in the spring time.

Also I am a determined person. If I really wanted something and try hard enough I will get it..

Last edited:
That's really good. Keep working at it :thumbup: we're rooting for you!

Buying 5 review books with the test only a month away is a huge mistake and a waste of money. You probably won't even touch most of them. Also if you were serious about this you would have started your prep way earlier than this. A score of 16 means there's either some sort of knowledge gap with the material (i.e. not knowing the grammar rules on the english section or not knowing the math required for the math section) or there was a major flaw in your test taking strategy. Both of those would be hard to fix in just 1 month but I suppose it's possible if you devote enough time to it. And by enough I mean possibly 5-6 days a week and 3-4 hours a day of preparation.

Is there any way you could move the test back a month or 2? That would really help you in terms of making a solid study plan that can really raise your score 8-10 points. If you can't, my best advice would be to just practice from now until test day. Do at least one practice test per week (2 if you can) and then figure which questions you're missing the most and review the content that goes along with them. Look up test taking strategies for the ACT. There are many published ones out there that are written by students themselves who scored 34+ on the exam.

Like others have said, you need to master test taking now since being pre-health is all about standardized testing. A 24 is by no means a "bad" score, but it's certainly not exceptional. I believe a 21 or so is about the national average.

Good luck.
It wasn't a waste a money.. it was only like 40 bucks. I doubt it will be a waste of time either. These books have practice questions in them with explanations which will help me. And I started prep right after the act in June. I just decided to speed up the process by buying all these books just so I know I will be covered and will not miss any kind of tip. I got a 16 because I didn't try -__- before I took the act people told me I shouldn't even study because its that easy.. which of course was complete bull **** and yes actually their is another act in Octobter. I will be taking that one too!

Good luck.
Oh I'm not a bad test taker at all. Usually before a test I always prepare myself. In human anatomy and physiology I had 2 test a week. One test was medical terms and it had 75 fill in the blank questions which I usually got 90s on. The other test was over how the body worked and ect. I guess I just didn't take this test seriously enough.. I learned from my mistake and I will study everyday.. Haha I am actually studying right now :D

You'll definitely get above a 24.

If you tried to take the test you could probably get a 24 right now. A 16 is nearly randomly bubbling the entire test.