adding schools after having sent in AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Has anyone added schools after sending in their AMCAS application for the first time? I just realized today that I hadn't added one of the schools I wanted to apply to, so I added it on my application...but I'm not sure if I am supposed to go through the certification and transmission part again -- does anyone know? I'll probably be on hold with AMCAS for a while Monday (if you have a speakerphone you can leave on hold while you work, it's a wonderful thing!) but if anyone's done this and knows, that would be great. :) I'm just worried that a month about submitting my application, it will be pushed to the back of the pile and never ever sent out.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still trying to figure this out...does anyone know if you add one school and delete a school on your list (so if you've already paid, you wouldn't owe any money), would that go through if your application hadn't been transmitted to schools yet? Sorry if this is a confusing question. :)

Hi,
I added three schools after I had submitted. It showed a $0.00 balance before I added the schools. After I added the three new ones it showed a $90 balance. I then recertified and submitted again. It had saved my credit card info from before. It went right through and then showed the three new schools on the designated school page and now it showed a $0.00 balance again. No problems.

However I do not believe you can delete a school from your list once you have submitted . Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that issue.

Now, I don't know if the additions puts your application behind from when you orginally submitted.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

After recently receiving a letter from Wash U encouraging me to apply, I did the online supplementary and mailed a copy of my AMCAS application to them. Since I had submitted AMCAS on 6/27 I was afraid of what might happen if I added Wash U and re-submitted. So I just wrote a brief letter to them, regarding this concern and concluding that once the glitches have been removed, I will officially add them to the AMCAS application. Good luck!

PS Amybeth you are correct - in the Help section of AMCAS it states that you unable to delete schools once they have been officially designated.

Thanks so much for the replies! I really want to fix my list of schools, but I don't want to delay the processing of my application for another month.... at least AMCAS is a local phone call for me, so I can stay on hold for a long time. :)

TweetyPie and I have been trying to figure this out as well. I tried to get through to AMCAS earlier, but was put on hold for WAY too long. When you do find the answer to this question can you please post it on this forum? Thanks. :)

I think one way to ensure you don't "lose your place in line" is to wait till they actually transmit our apps. As soon as that day comes, add the schools you want to add. Sure you might be applying late to those additional schools, but that's better than applying late to all your schools.

Hey,
I called AMCAS today, and the guy I talked to said go ahead and submit your application for more schools, and your original school list will still be processed from the time you sent it, and the new schools will just be processed later. I asked if he was sure about this, and he said he thought so... so I cannot guarantee that this is correct!