Additional letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roostertail

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Does anybody know when it is most beneficial to submit an extra letter of rec (in addition to the 3 on pharmcas)? For example, will an extra letter increase ones chances of obtaining an interview or are they used primarily for moving up the ranks on an alternate waiting list? Any insight would be most appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Does anybody know when it is most beneficial to submit an extra letter of rec (in addition to the 3 on pharmcas)? For example, will an extra letter increase ones chances of obtaining an interview or are they used primarily for moving up the ranks on an alternate waiting list? Any insight would be most appreciated.

Pharmcas won't take it. It's always good to have more than you need, but never submit more than they ask for. It makes you look like you can't follow directions.

I believe pharmcas would use the LOR on file, except if certain schools have asked for LORs different from the one u hae given. Eg u submitted LOR from professors and employers but a school needs LORs from a Pharmacist then u need an extra. Some schools would require u to send directly to them.

but apart from that you dont need to stress yourself looking for who will write u one. i went to a school once and they said they didnt need the LOR cos they believed no one would write anything bad about you to jeopardize ur situation, which i beleive is true.

Hey all,

I'm not sure what weight (if any) the extra LORs are given; however, I had the standard 3 through PharmCas (Chemistry instructor, my pharmacy manager and the district manager) but I also sent one additional hard copy from an alum of each particular school (sent at the same time as my supplementals). The end result: accepted at two of the schools, waitlisted at one, and rejected from one.

My opinion is that one extra letter wouldn't hurt (I wouldn't go overboard and send bunches of them, though) and if you're going to send it, do it at or around the same time as your other application materials so that everything that pertains to you can be kept together and viewed as a whole.

Hope that helps - good luck to you!