Adelphi Offer, Worth the Debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would plan to be on the income based repayment plans, which I am already on!

I might also look into those public service loan repayment options as there are some clinical positions that offer that such as some VA hospitals.

Do psychologists and professors even retire ? Lol. Seems like plenty of the ones I see do it well into typical retirement years.
What is your plan if the income-based repayment plans and Public Service Loan Forgiveness program are eliminated? As I mentioned previously, they may not be around in 10 years.

If those programs survive and you do receive loan forgiveness, then the amount of loan forgiven is considered income. What is your plan for paying taxes on $300,000 in the year you receive that loan forgiveness?

There is also a huge difference between choosing not to retire because you love your job and not being able to retire because you cannot afford to do so.

To be clear, these questions are not meant to challenge you; these are things that need to be taken into consideration when taking on any major debt, including a mortgage, because that $200,000 debt can turn a middle-class income into a poverty lifestyle.

This is where asking direct questions during the interview is critical. There are research coordinator positions in NYC that do allow opportunities for an RC to be a co-author. I have had RCs as first authors when they have developed ideas of their own that utilized my data. I am not alone in this practice in NYC (or elsewhere). Other researchers may have different policies and practices. In any serious interview, you should hopefully be asked "Do you have any questions about this position?" That is when you should, politely but directly, ask about opportunities to contribute as an author on peer-reviewed publications.

Great, thank you for the advice ! I will remember that if I choose to go that route.

Members don't see this ad :)
To echo what everyone else has said, if you refuse to relocate, you're going to have an extremely hard time in this field. I only know of *one* person who did what you want to do, and it involved commuting approximately 3 hours each way for internship. And she considered herself extremely lucky.

Also, the university in Salt Lake City has a name.
I was wondering about the "SLC" references, but now I understand. When I see "SLC," I immediately think "Sarah Lawrence College," and I know they do not have a clinical psychology program (even though it is an awesome school)!

The first page includes the 2017-2018 cohort.
Current Fellows & Alumni > Psychology Section | Psychiatry | Yale School of Medicine
Scroll down for their programs.
Ok the placement is on the list i was sent as yale child study. I'll have to look into that more as it's not on that list for the medical ctr you sent me

What is your plan if the income-based repayment plans and Public Service Loan Forgiveness program are eliminated? As I mentioned previously, they may not be around in 10 years.

If those programs survive and you do receive loan forgiveness, then the amount of loan forgiven is considered income. What is your plan for paying taxes on $300,000 in the year you receive that loan forgiveness?

There is also a huge difference between choosing not to retire because you love your job and not being able to retire because you cannot afford to do so.

To be clear, these questions are not meant to challenge you; these are things that need to be taken into consideration when taking on any major debt, including a mortgage, because that $200,000 debt can turn a middle-class income into a poverty lifestyle.

I mean that's really just a hypothetical, they're not actually going to get rid of those programs ?
They've provided more income based repayment options, not lessend them.

And if after 20 years, even making the IBR payments and with interest idk it might not be THAT high? Idk. It's hard to say. If I do end up with a forgiveness, I'll have to talk to my partner obviously about how we can pay the taxes on that. My dad has also been claiming to have some money saved for me to help pay student loans, and my grandparents have a small bit set aside for the future. That is something I've been thinking about actually even with the amt I have now/if I go back to school for another field and end up with even 100k.

And if I'm in a position where I can afford not to be in IBR then I would switch into the regular ones probably..
Or even if I'm in a position where I can stay on the struggle bus for another year or so and live on a cheap 20, 30k budget and put the rest of my salary towards my loan that year then I will.

As for retirement, no if I'm working this long for a career I wanna do it for like as long as possible ! And there is always SSI..worst comes to worst and whatever my partner has for us.

Believe it or not I've done my due diligence in the loan research. I just am not good with numbers to calculate how much things will be for like the payments interests forgiveness etc

Planning for retirement is not a priority right now. I can get by on not much. I have no shame in going on support if I have to after having a fulfilled life and career. I don't expect to but worst case scenario, it's not something that would bother me.
My grandmother is on it. I doubt I will have to be. Scoff all you want buddy.

And as usual you cherry pick the 1 thing you don't like out of everything. Mr just on grad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not scoffing. It's laughing. I'm laughing at poor planning.

Laughing at poor people you mean ? Is there something wrong with SSI to you?

And idk. Are there retirement plans for clinical psychologists ? Or is that something you have to do yourself ? Many jobs have the automatic 401k retirement or whatever, some don't. It' something you decide when you start working. It's really not my concern right now is what I'm saying. I don't most people are retirement planning at this point in their careers. Least not the people I know. As I said I'm not trying to be rich here. Just middle class. My point in saying that was that worst case scenario it would not bother me. I see how my grandma lives. It's alright.

I mean that's really just a hypothetical, they're not actually going to get rid of those programs ?
They've provided more income based repayment options, not lessend them.

And if after 20 years, even making the IBR payments and with interest idk it might not be THAT high? Idk. It's hard to say. If I do end up with a forgiveness, I'll have to talk to my partner obviously about how we can pay the taxes on that. My dad has also been claiming to have some money saved for me to help pay student loans, and my grandparents have a small bit set aside for the future. That is something I've been thinking about actually even with the amt I have now/if I go back to school for another field and end up with even 100k.

And if I'm in a position where I can afford not to be in IBR then I would switch into the regular ones probably..
Or even if I'm in a position where I can stay on the struggle bus for another year or so and live on a cheap 20, 30k budget and put the rest of my salary towards my loan that year then I will.

As for retirement, no if I'm working this long for a career I wanna do it for like as long as possible ! And there is always SSI..worst comes to worst and whatever my partner has for us.

Believe it or not I've done my due diligence in the loan research. I just am not good with numbers to calculate how much things will be for like the payments interests forgiveness etc
As they say, hope for the best and plan for the worst. It's better to know upfront what the cost of this $200,000+ loan will be if the plans fall through because the worst-case scenario is fairly dire: If you no longer have IBR/ICR/REPAYE or PSLF, then you may find yourself unable to make loan payments and student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. This has the potential of actually ruining you AND your partner for life.

The other issue with PSLF is that the purpose is to incentivize working in under-served areas. NYC is not that. If it turns out that the VA qualifies, then that's great. However, two hurdles: VA positions are competitive, and it's APA-accredited internship (or VA) or bust. The latter becomes relevant if you are geographically restricted during APPIC match.

With regards to the loan amount being that high, yes. If you defer a Direct Unsubsidized Loan and do not pay interest while you are in school, then the accrued interest capitalizes, increasing the amount of principal you must repay. Multiply by however long it takes you to finish the program and any additional time requesting deferments, and the loan quickly balloons. It's also compound interest. Look up the seven-year rule for compound interest.

I can pull up exact numbers later when I have access to a computer, but subtract $474 by 120 months (IBR monthly amount for $75,000 salary) from ~$210,000 to get the amount that would roughly have to be forgiven under PSLF. Add said salary and you are filing with ~$230,000 income alone. Paying the taxes on that sucks when you never actually see that amount of money.

Also, Social Security is probably not going to be around in 40 years.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

As they say, hope for the best and plan for the worst. It's better to know upfront what the cost of this $200,000+ loan will be if the plans fall through because the worst-case scenario is fairly dire: If you no longer have IBR/ICR/REPAYE or PSLF, then you may find yourself unable to make loan payments and student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. This has the potential of actually ruining you AND your partner for life.

The other issue with PSLF is that the purpose is to incentivize working in under-served areas. NYC is not that. If it turns out that the VA qualifies, then that's great. However, two hurdles: VA positions are competitive, and it's APA-accredited internship (or VA) or bust. The latter becomes relevant if you are geographically restricted during APPIC match.

With regards to the loan amount being that high, yes. If you defer a Direct Unsubsidized Loan and do not pay interest while you are in school, then the accrued interest capitalizes, increasing the amount of principal you must repay. Multiply by however long it takes you to finish the program and any additional time requesting deferments, and the loan quickly balloons. It's also compound interest. Look up the seven-year rule for compound interest.

I can pull up exact numbers later when I have access to a computer, but subtract $474 by 120 months (IBR monthly amount for $75,000 salary) from ~$210,000 to get the amount that would roughly have to be forgiven under PSLF. Add said salary and you are filing with ~$230,000 income alone. Paying the taxes on that sucks when you never actually see that amount of money.

Also, Social Security is probably not going to be around in 40 years.

You bring up good points.

But I don't know, can they really get rid of all the income based repayment options? It doesn't seem plausible. If they get rid of the forgiveness whatever. But still should be able to base payments off income and percentage of loan amount, etc.
Yes I definitely plan on gaining an APA accredited internship. The NY VA is also a place for internship placements that friends of mine ahead of me in the programs have gotten for practica or internship, and is on the list of places that Adelphi students match at that I was sent today. I have just seen some people remark on the fact that VA hospitals can offer the public service forgiveness if I'm in a situation where they nix the IBR completely.

And yeah with the deferment->interest->principal thing, that really sucked while I was in my master's. I had 29k when i graduated UG, forget how much interest applied in my year off. Then when I did the MA, took out I think around 30k more? Then all the interest just added onto principal during my in school deferment and grace period. Ugh. That's the other factor that's making me pretty uncomfortable with the debt and considering rejecting the offer and doing something else.

Basically my thing with the moving is.. I don't necessarily want to move somewhere else now for a phd program, move again for internship, again for post doc possibly, and again for a job. If I can stay where I am now, get the degree, maybe if I decide to move for internship and hopefully not stray too far from the NE area, and not bounce around a ton after that.. then that would be ok. I mean how are people even affording to move this much on 20k stipends ?

Members don't see this ad :)
And idk. Are there retirement plans for clinical psychologists ? Or is that something you have to do yourself ? Many jobs have the automatic 401k retirement or whatever, some don't. It' something you decide when you start working. It's really not my concern right now is what I'm saying. I don't most people are retirement planning at this point in their careers. Least not the people I know. As I said I'm not trying to be rich here. Just middle class. My point in saying that was that worst case scenario it would not bother me. I see how my grandma lives. It's alright.
Retirement planning is something on which you have to be proactive, and you need to start early. The longer one delays it, the less money one has in later life when there is a non-zero possibility of poor health and reduced income. Not all jobs offer 401(k) benefits, and you will not have any retirement benefits at all if you go into part-time or contract employment. If you feel like you can be comfortable on SSI, though, then that is your prerogative.

This article may be worth a read: This Is What Life Without Retirement Savings Looks Like

But I don't know, can they really get rid of all the income based repayment options? It doesn't seem plausible. If they get rid of the forgiveness whatever. But still should be able to base payments off income and percentage of loan amount, etc.
Yes I definitely plan on gaining an APA accredited internship. The NY VA is also a place for internship placements that friends of mine ahead of me in the programs have gotten for practica or internship, and is on the list of places that Adelphi students match at that I was sent today. I have just seen some people remark on the fact that VA hospitals can offer the public service forgiveness if I'm in a situation where they nix the IBR completely.

And yeah with the deferment->interest->principal thing, that really sucked while I was in my master's. I had 29k when i graduated UG, forget how much interest applied in my year off. Then when I did the MA, took out I think around 30k more? Then all the interest just added onto principal during my in school deferment and grace period. Ugh. That's the other factor that's making me pretty uncomfortable with the debt and considering rejecting the offer and doing something else.
The loan forgiveness and income-based repayment plans for federal loans are expensive for the government to maintain. Legislation allowed the programs to exist. Legislation can easily eliminate the programs should Congress decide that it needs to cut government spending.

Regarding loan forgiveness: If you earned $75,000 per year with 3.5% raises annually and had $149,880 of loans at 6.75% interest, then you would have up to $190,335 forgiven after 10 years through PSLF if you remained on the Pay-As-You-Earn repayment plan. With PSLF, the cancellation of debt is not taxable (but this may change). With IBR/ICR/PAYE loan forgiveness, though, it is taxable, and it could be up to $201,819 after 20 years. You'd essentially be living on $75,000 that year but paying taxes as though you had made $276,819. Ouch. The first people to be eligible will start getting debt cancellations in 2019, so we will probably hear more precise amounts of tax bombs next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Laughing at poor people you mean ? Is there something wrong with SSI to you?

You keep misunderstanding what people are writing. Justanothergrad wasn't making fun of poor people. What they meant was that it's foolish to hinge your financial future on programs that are tenuous today, let alone in 20-40 years. These programs are already too expensive for the government as it is, let alone for them to continue in their current forms for another several decades. In reality, we're looking at certain programs being dissolved entirely (public service loan forgiveness is likely at the top of the list) and others being dramatically restructured. It's unwise to rely on these programs.

Even if PSLF still exists, you have to be employed somewhere which actually qualifies for the program, which is problematic even today if you've read recent news about it. Don't rely on getting a VA job, especially not one in a highly competitive market like NYC. Even in more rural areas, VA jobs are coveted and extremely competitive. I've seen this process firsthand. This is one very salient area where attending a poor-quality program will limit your career options and financial future.

He included 2017-2018 matches in what he sent me. That link doesn't have that. If there's no Adelphi student on it when it' updated then I guess we know he lied ! Although that seems like a really ridiculous thing to do.

And I feel bad for the students you mentor, you're not a nice person and you talk down to people a lot who you feel you have authority over.. like why you gotta go there

Seriously? You're going to chastise other people for how they talk to others when you've insulted whole swaths of the country, literally millions of people, for deigning to be "yokels" from "bumble****?"

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Retirement planning is something on which you have to be proactive, and you need to start early. The longer one delays it, the less money one has in later life when there is a non-zero possibility of poor health and reduced income. Not all jobs offer 401(k) benefits, and you will not have any retirement benefits at all if you go into part-time or contract employment. If you feel like you can be comfortable on SSI, though, then that is your prerogative.

This article may be worth a read: This Is What Life Without Retirement Savings Looks Like

The loan forgiveness and income-based repayment plans for federal loans are expensive for the government to maintain. Legislation allowed the programs to exist. Legislation can easily eliminate the programs should Congress decide that it needs to cut government spending.

Regarding loan forgiveness: If you earned $75,000 per year with 3.5% raises annually and had $149,880 of loans at 6.75% interest, then you would have up to $190,335 forgiven after 10 years through PSLF if you remained on the Pay-As-You-Earn repayment plan. With PSLF, the cancellation of debt is not taxable (but this may change). With IBR/ICR/PAYE loan forgiveness, though, it is taxable, and it could be up to $201,819 after 20 years. You'd essentially be living on $75,000 that year but paying taxes as though you had made $276,819. Ouch. The first people to be eligible will start getting debt cancellations in 2019, so we will probably hear more precise amounts of tax bombs next year.

Yeah, good points on the retirement thing. That's basically all what I thought.

Yeah true on the loan thing..but I mean. I don't know. I would honestly just prefer the payment be income based with no forgiveness. I would rather pay a little bit over time and not have that big hit. Because I mean with those numbers, the taxes would be like my entire salary lol. So I don't know how they expect people to be able to pay the taxes on the loan forgiveness for the IBR. I have been aware that that was taxable for a little while now. I was wondering about what those numbers would look like if I did take out this Adelphi debt and went that route.

I mean I think realistically at this point, I might be on IBR and put as much money aside as I could for the loans every year? Then either knock out a big chunk with that savings, or use it for the taxes? Because the IBR is a pretty low rate (so far my pay rate has been 0). If you still put money aside you could control how much you pay off and when. It's a lot to consider.

I mean if I'm in a position where I'm pulling 75k-85k a year, I would have no problem after taxes paying 10-15k a year in student loan debt. That wouldn't bother me.
If I'm pulling 100k a year, **** I'll put 50k towards the debt. Who needs that much money? That's family of 5 money where I come from.

I'm not expecting to be one of those people who can pay for their kids to go to colleges, or whatever. I want to just be a person who is doing what they want to do and having a fairly comfortable middle class life doing it, because that's all I'm ever going to have anyway. I'll never have more. So I wouldn't mind getting by on a lower mid class salary in the beginning and knocking out debt, or getting by on a middle class salary long term through IBR.

Like I said earlier it's just the concern is if that's possible with that much debt. Because these ideas, and repayment plans are what I've been thinking more or less will be my outcome for a while now. I just didn't think the debt would get THAT high. I figured I'd be in the 100k-120 range for it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously? You're going to chastise other people for how they talk to others when you've insulted whole swaths of the country, literally millions of people, for deigning to be "yokels" from "bumble****?"

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Again, after I was accused of being a "typical snotty new yorker"
I really fail to see how a few little comments like that, directed at no one in particular on this forum whatsoever, is any different than this guy coming out and calling me a snotty yankee basically because I don't want to live in like Indiana or whatever.

Furthermore, once again, the comment of mine you pointed out was literally in direct response to him saying "i feel sorry for your mentor if you can't look at a simple link i sent you" in an extremely rude and condescending way, like he has been speaking to me throughout this whole thread. If anyone "can't help themselves", it's the 2 of you.

This is really upsetting to you? This is like the 4th time you brought up those stupid comments though.
It's sad that some girl on a forum making a small generalized joking comment in aside, in response to a direct insult, is so upsetting to you?
I suggest logging off the computer or never interacting with anyone north of the mason dixon if you're that sensitive. Especially long island or new york, we tend to have this thing called sarcasm and senses of humor here.

I mean if I'm in a position where I'm pulling 75k-85k a year, I would have no problem after taxes paying 10-15k a year in student loan debt. That wouldn't bother me. If I'm pulling 100k a year, **** I'll put 50k towards the debt. Who needs that much money? That's family of 5 money where I come from.

I'm not expecting to be one of those people who can pay for their kids to go to colleges, or whatever. I want to just be a person who is doing what they want to do and having a fairly comfortable middle class life doing it, because that's all I'm ever going to have anyway. I'll never have more. So I wouldn't mind getting by on a lower mid class salary in the beginning and knocking out debt, or getting by on a middle class salary long term through IBR.
:smack: :shrug:

This really is the best thread in a while.

(so far my pay rate has been 0)
As a side note, for unsubsidized loans, this is dangerous. If your monthly payment is lower than the amount of interest that accrues on your loan every month, then you are not paying down your loans nor are your loans staying in the same place. Rather, your loans are increasing as that unpaid interest is added to your principal.

You stop checking into SDN for a few days because it is slow and look at what you miss. While I am late, I will add that what others here are saying is spot on even if you don't want to believe it. The bottom line is that you have a choice here and there is one thing that you are not understanding; getting into a doctoral program is the beginning of the journey not the goal. Once you are in you have to compete with other students for you eventual position. Think of it the same way you do college admissions. When you geographically limit yourself to a place like NYC, you make it harder for yourself during every step going forward. You will have to compete for externships with other New York programs in the NYC. This means interviewing at training sites that you might want and not get. Derner has some spots for grads, but not everyone. Then comes internship, which is a national match. Then comes post-doc (1750 hours for all clinicians), which is also competitive. At each of these steps having a weak application hurts you. You can re-apply a year later if you don't get an NYC area spot, but that is another year without pay and you will not be funded for years where you don't move forward (extra match years, extra years for dissertation, etc). IMO, not worth doing. Compare this to leaving the area and moving to an area of "flyover" country where you don't compete for externships, will be funded more consistently, etc. Who do you think will have the stronger job application when you are all done?

To challenge your assumptions earlier in the thread OP, I grew up on long island (you might live IN the NY/NJ area, but you live ON long island). I moved to the south to attend a fully-funded program. 30% of the students came from the NY/NJ area. It was alright and I made it work. Many of my cohort and others had long-distance relationships and made it work. I attended an NYC area VAMC for internship and lived in the area for post-doc and after obtaining my license before leaving again after my then gf/ now wife got a job opportunity in another area. The weakest part of my CV is my post-doc because I opted for a job to stay in NYC instead of moving for a formal post-doc in another area. I know people, including Adelphi grads, that had to compromise in some ways. They may not have to re-locate, but I know people who wanted to work in child practice stuck in geriatrics for years. I also know people working for notoriously bad supervisors that abused them in order to stay in NYC, taking post-doc and licensed jobs with terrible pay, etc that generally increased their life stress. If staying in NYC is important to you long-term, this career may not be worth it. I know people who have done it. However, the reason they did is that they had external financial support (parents paying expenses for school, spouses with six figure jobs in finance that could not relocate, etc). You can be a psychologist without being rich and you can do it without leaving the NYC area, but doing both may prove difficult.

Reactions: 3 users
As a side note, for unsubsidized loans, this is dangerous. If your monthly payment is lower than the amount of interest that accrues on your loan every month, then you are not paying down your loans nor are your loans staying in the same place. Rather, your loans are increasing as that unpaid interest is added to your principal.

I can't afford to pay them now and it's better than a deferment.

You stop checking into SDN for a few days because it is slow and look at what you miss. While I am late, I will add that what others here are saying is spot on even if you don't want to believe it. The bottom line is that you have a choice here and there is one thing that you are not understanding; getting into a doctoral program is the beginning of the journey not the goal. Once you are in you have to compete with other students for you eventual position. Think of it the same way you do college admissions. When you geographically limit yourself to a place like NYC, you make it harder for yourself during every step going forward. You will have to compete for externships with other New York programs in the NYC. This means interviewing at training sites that you might want and not get. Derner has some spots for grads, but not everyone. Then comes internship, which is a national match. Then comes post-doc (1750 hours for all clinicians), which is also competitive. At each of these steps having a weak application hurts you. You can re-apply a year later if you don't get an NYC area spot, but that is another year without pay and you will not be funded for years where you don't move forward (extra match years, extra years for dissertation, etc). IMO, not worth doing. Compare this to leaving the area and moving to an area of "flyover" country where you don't compete for externships, will be funded more consistently, etc. Who do you think will have the stronger job application when you are all done?

To challenge your assumptions earlier in the thread OP, I grew up on long island (you might live IN the NY/NJ area, but you live ON long island). I moved to the south to attend a fully-funded program. 30% of the students came from the NY/NJ area. It was alright and I made it work. Many of my cohort and others had long-distance relationships and made it work. I attended an NYC area VAMC for internship and lived in the area for post-doc and after obtaining my license before leaving again after my then gf/ now wife got a job opportunity in another area. The weakest part of my CV is my post-doc because I opted for a job to stay in NYC instead of moving for a formal post-doc in another area. I know people, including Adelphi grads, that had to compromise in some ways. They may not have to re-locate, but I know people who wanted to work in child practice stuck in geriatrics for years. I also know people working for notoriously bad supervisors that abused them in order to stay in NYC, taking post-doc and licensed jobs with terrible pay, etc that generally increased their life stress. If staying in NYC is important to you long-term, this career may not be worth it. I know people who have done it. However, the reason they did is that they had external financial support (parents paying expenses for school, spouses with six figure jobs in finance that could not relocate, etc). You can be a psychologist without being rich and you can do it without leaving the NYC area, but doing both may prove difficult.

I'm not limiting to NYC, half the phd programs I applied to were not in NYC. I don't know why everyone is saying I'm not willing to leave just because I'm choosey where I would move to (probably because according to justongrad willing to live on the Pacific northwest, Colorado, Utah, and the North East is the same as not leaving nyc?? Idk)

If I go to Adelphi there's no saying I wouldn't want to move elsewhere for internship. It just seems like from the people I've talked to in programs here, the norm is staying unless you want to and that's when people do internship outside the area.
As oppose to everyone in this thread saying if I do what everyone is saying and try to get into a "flyover" school, I would HAVE to move. That's yet another reason why flyover is now even less appealing.

I was already thinking of leaving the field. Wheb i thought i wasnt going to get into adelphi, I was going to apply to either a paid research coordinator or case mgmt position in the city and reapply next cycle to (more) schools and programs and hope to get into a better funded one, in the areas I mentioned above.
Now that everyone is saying that the norm is to move 4x then I wouldn't do that. I'm not moving across the country for a phd, then moving again for internship, and again for post doc, and again for a job.
I will have to see if this is the norm in the areas I'm interested or just "flyover" country which I
will never apply to anyway.

My other option is leaving the field.
I would alternatively pursue education and want to be a HS English teacher.

So for me those are my options and the more and more peop keep bringing up flyover country the more pissed I'm getting because that's not one of the 3 options I'm listing here and it's not useful. You might as well be telling me information on how to get into an interpretative dance program because that's how much it's not going to happen.

It's
1) Adelphi, phd in psych, debt
2) re apply for more funded programs in the Pacific north west, Colorado, Utah, North East, Pennsylvania
3) leave the field and pursue education (debt but less than choice 1)

I have toyed with the idea of social work but i think I would prefer to be an English teacher because social workers are vastly over worked and underpaid and even though teachers have a similar issue, there is more time off and a better schedule and it would leave me time to pursue my other passion (creative writing).

Last edited:
Psych dreamer,

No need to get upset. I don't care which of your three choices and neither does anyone else on an anonymous internet forum. I am simply telling you what those that have been successful have done. Up to you if you want to take your chances or not. However, these are your 4 hurdles to get into this career (PhD, internship, post-doc, first licensed job). The last three steps are more competitive than the first because you are competing with a more accomplished pool and everyone wants to be in NYC. What is your backup plan if step 2, 3, 4 don't workout? Right now you liked yourself geographically to programs you liked and have one offer. I applied around the country as a college senior and got into a few program in a less interesting places to live. This is how I and many others here have made it work. We can't tell you that your plan will work out and that it will be okay, because it may not. Your plan does not seem sound to some if us, I also can't tell you whether to be a teacher because I am not one. I have friends tenured on long island that make around what I do and others that struggled.

I can tell you NY has more teachers than PhD psychologists, so there are more jobs. The farther you go on your career, the fewer jobs there are and the more you likely have to move. There are many teachers, fewer principles, and even fewer superintendents. Likewise, there are fewer psychologist PhD jobs in a given area than masters level counselor jobs, and even fewer psych specialty jobs. Academia generally requires national job searches, private clinical staff less so. I have no idea what you even want to do other than be a "psychologist" generally. Bottom line, your plan does not seem well thought out. What are your goals other than psychologist in X area you may want to live?

Psych dreamer,

No need to get upset. I don't care which of your three choices and neither does anyone else on an anonymous internet forum. I am simply telling you what those that have been successful have done. Up to you if you want to take your chances or not. However, these are your 4 hurdles to get into this career (PhD, internship, post-doc, first licensed job). The last three steps are more competitive than the first because you are competing with a more accomplished pool and everyone wants to be in NYC. What is your backup plan if step 2, 3, 4 don't workout? Right now you liked yourself geographically to programs you liked and have one offer. I applied around the country as a college senior and got into a few program in a less interesting places to live. This is how I and many others here have made it work. We can't tell you that your plan will work out and that it will be okay, because it may not. Your plan does not seem sound to some if us, I also can't tell you whether to be a teacher because I am not one. I have friends tenured on long island that make around what I do and others that struggled.

I can tell you NY has more teachers than PhD psychologists, so there are more jobs. The farther you go on your career, the fewer jobs there are and the more you likely have to move. There are many teachers, fewer principles, and even fewer superintendents. Likewise, there are fewer psychologist PhD jobs in a given area than masters level counselor jobs, and even fewer psych specialty jobs. Academia generally requires national job searches, private clinical staff less so. I have no idea what you even want to do other than be a "psychologist" generally. Bottom line, your plan does not seem well thought out. What are your goals other than psychologist in X area you may want to live?

Well my question in this thread is, is the debt worth it compared to those other options? If no one cares about my 3 options, they are welcome not to comment.

What do you mean what are your goals other than being a psychologist ? Alternatively if I don't go into this field, an English teacher ? Have a middle class lifestyle ? I think I answered that question pretty clearly in the thread this far what my goals and desires are from everything from leisure activities, location, career goals, and financial goals

Well my question in this thread is, is the debt worth it compared to those other options?
The only person who can answer this question is you. The most that any of us random people on the Internet can do is arm you with information that you might find helpful in making your decision. You know best about your situation and your comfort level about your future. Best of luck.

As Temperance said,

We can't answer this question for you. We can only give you our experiences. By goals, I mean career goals, research interests, etc. I applied to programs based on their CBT and health psych focus as well as those that primarily trained clinicians. What do you want do..work with kids, adults, older adults? What kind of practice?

As Temperance said,

We can't answer this question for you. We can only give you our experiences. By goals, I mean career goals, research interests, etc. I applied to programs based on their CBT and health psych focus as well as those that primarily trained clinicians. What do you want do..work with kids, adults, older adults? What kind of practice?

Oh I have always wanted to go on for psychoanalytic training after phd at some point, although I do also want to be integrative. I think that there is time and place for CBT or a more psychodynamic approach.

Oh I have always wanted to go on for psychoanalytic training after phd at some point, although I do also want to be integrative. I think that there is time and place for CBT or a more psychodynamic approach.
As for pop, I'm interested in long term interpersonal effects of chronic trauma. I've worked with children and parents both in dyadic work and individual. And I did a clinical qualitative project on intergenerational trauma with that population. I also did a quant project seeing how childhood trauma effects relational attachment, experiences in romantic relationships, and uhm theory of mind.
I have the opportunity to chose a qual or a quant advisor at Adelphi for both of those research areas.

I what practice setting or job do you see yourself in when you are done? The reason I ask that childhood trauma is not a moneymaker, like doing ADHD evals, forensic work, etc. If you plan to work for a non-profit or community mental health, the salaries tend to be much lower than what you might think ( ~60k not 100k, even in NYC). Private practice work for general pediatric/school issues is doable, but very competitive in the NYC area. Adult trauma with the VA is greater demand and salaries are better, but the system is shaky given the current administration. Things to think about.

I what practice setting or job do you see yourself in when you are done? The reason I ask that childhood trauma is not a moneymaker, like doing ADHD evals, forensic work, etc. If you plan to work for a non-profit or community mental health, the salaries tend to be much lower than what you might think ( ~60k not 100k, even in NYC). Private practice work for general pediatric/school issues is doable, but very competitive in the NYC area. Adult trauma with the VA is greater demand and salaries are better, but the system is shaky given the current administration. Things to think about.

Oh no, I don't want to just work with kids.

I would have no problem also working with children in practice, but do not plan to limit myself in practice to any specific age group.

I would have interest in being involved with VA work as well..

The opinion that captive internships provide worse training is another of the biased opinions on this board. It's an idea with face validity because trainees who choose the captive internships often have no other options. However, I am not aware of any research demonstrating that the training is worse. (Note: I did not attend a captive internship so I am not speaking from personal experience.)

The thing this board often gets wrong, in my opinion, is ignoring the fact that something like half of all new psychologists every year come from "disreputable" programs. So it's just not accurate to assume that a "true" psychologist comes from a scientist-practitioner PhD program. The horses are out of the barn. Sometimes it seems like the old guard on this board have an almost willful ignorance of diverse paths to licensure as a clinical psychologist.

I feel sorry for the legion of PhD students across all disciplines who trudge through years of graduate research training only to find that there is no tenure-track job at the end of it. This problem is obviously not specific to psychology. It's a scandalous pyramid scheme.

The only thing this board really nails, in my opinion, is that taking on huge debt has major consequences.

The thing this board often gets wrong, in my opinion, is ignoring the fact that something like half of all new psychologists every year come from "disreputable" programs. So it's just not accurate to assume that a "true" psychologist comes from a scientist-practitioner PhD program. The horses are out of the barn. Sometimes it seems like the old guard on this board have an almost willful ignorance of diverse paths to licensure as a clinical psychologist.

I don't see anyone ignoring this issue at all. And, no one on here calls all PsyDs disreputable. People have been pretty fair in calling out the true diploma mills (i.e., the AAA's), and acknowledging the mediocre ones, and the good ones (e.g., Baylor, Rutgers, etc). So, the "all PsyDs are disreputable!" thing is a bit of a mischaracterization. No willful ignorance at all, this is widely discussed on here all of the time. Most people focus on the debt aspect and the peripheral stats. After that, advice is given based on what we see firsthand as DCTs and training board members when decision time rolls around for internship and/or postdoc applications. People are free to take any advice they wish and ignore what they want to ignore. But, there is no ignoring anything of the sort of what you bring up. Unlike many arguments, many of us actually know what the statistics are when it comes to the match and such.

I think that you do miss out on something when you stay in the same setting/program for all of your training, regardless of how strong that program is. I've learned a lot of different things from each of the programs and settings in which I did my training.

I don't see anyone ignoring this issue at all. And, no one on here calls all PsyDs disreputable. People have been pretty fair in calling out the true diploma mills (i.e., the AAA's), and acknowledging the mediocre ones, and the good ones (e.g., Baylor, Rutgers, etc). So, the "all PsyDs are disreputable!" thing is a bit of a mischaracterization. No willful ignorance at all, this is widely discussed on here all of the time. Most people focus on the debt aspect and the peripheral stats. After that, advice is given based on what we see firsthand as DCTs and training board members when decision time rolls around for internship and/or postdoc applications. People are free to take any advice they wish and ignore what they want to ignore. But, there is no ignoring anything of the sort of what you bring up. Unlike many arguments, many of us actually know what the statistics are when it comes to the match and such.

I generally agree with what you say, WisNeuro, even a lot of what you say in this post. But again, I do think even in this post that you have a blind spot. Even if we assume that many DCTs categorically reject applications from mediocre PsyD programs (I know for a fact that that's true), don't lose the forest for the trees: these schools are turning out scores of graduates who do go on to get licensed. And most of these psychologists go on to private clinical practices where it doesn't matter at all what any of the reputable people think of them. And, in another ten, maybe twenty years, the "reputable" people will be outnumbered.

It is true that a relatively high percentage of students from the deplorable schools won't ever get licensed, but even if we assume 40% won't get licensed, we've still got a ton of new doctors.

The opinion that captive internships provide worse training is another of the biased opinions on this board. It's an idea with face validity because trainees who choose the captive internships often have no other options. However, I am not aware of any research demonstrating that the training is worse. (Note: I did not attend a captive internship so I am not speaking from personal experience.)

I feel sorry for the legion of PhD students across all disciplines who trudge through years of graduate research training only to find that there is no tenure-track job at the end of it. This problem is obviously not specific to psychology. It's a scandalous pyramid scheme.

The only thing this board really nails, in my opinion, is that taking on huge debt has major consequences.

Yeah I'm not buying that bias because in this instance, Adelphi's program is APA accredited. I could see that coming from one that isn't, but it is. They saw the issue with competitive internships and tried to help the issue by making an APA accredited option. I expect that the match rate for Adelphi is on the relatively lower end of the spectrum, not because people aren't matching cross country, but because they're only applying to internships in NYC. (I talked to a friend in the doctoral program at City College and she said she never heard of people having to move all over for internship. This is not a norm in the NY area, we stay here.)
But that being said, I would probably apply to internships in some of the areas I listed earlier of wanting to live in (Coloardo, Utah, Oregon, other north-east states). My point was I just don't want to move for a doctoral program somewhere, move again for internship, and then all the rest of the potential moves.

And TT isn't my goal or really my expectation... I'd be totally satisfied with an Assoc. Lecturer position, doing practice, and working on clinical qual & case study research with the occasional quant study thrown in. I don't expect a TT, and anyone who does at this stage in academia is honestly stupid in my opinion. Those jobs are disappearing.

I did projections on the debt from the studentloans.gov calculator, in addition to salary comparisons, and looking what after tax the salaries are in this area. I don't have all the exact interest rates but I guestimated what mine are so far and what they will be if I have like half unsubsidized half grad plus. The payments are manageable to me.

I think for me the thing beyond the debt is, I'm gunna have to once more go back to school and waitress crazy hours just to pay rent. I don't know if I can do that again knowing how much debt I'm also tacking on in the process...it'll make me feel so bitter.

But either way whether I go back to school for education, or SW; it'll be the same thing. At least another 2-3 years of going to school and working. And I'll still take on more debt (albeit less than if I go to this program), but will have a lower salary at the end of it with less career opportunities.

I guess I'm just not seeing for me, much of a difference in finances or quality of life between the different options. The only biggest difference is maybe a year or 2 of my time.

And I expressed that to them and they both sort of said well, then it becomes a question of which career options will make me feel more fulfilled in the long run.

I actually turned down the opportunity to stay involved in the New School because my mentors wasn't a good fit. If I stay involved and re-applied this cycle I would have gotten into the program probably with good funding (better than Adelphi), because everyone that applied got in this cycle. But I just couldn't imagine another 4 years with those people. So. I've made decisions already based on fit over funding..

Today is the day I have to submit my decision..they attached a form with the offer asking about your financial situation is now and would be in the program; and talking about some instances were increased funding is available (merit, financial needs, etc). So I really laid it all on the line here. I said the only thing holding me back is cost, and an increase in funding would make a difference. I'm not going to get full and a stipend I know that, but anything to help knock that debt down would make me feel better.
I just see that number floating in my brain all weekend: 200,000 (what I'll have from all my debt if I do this) and it honestly freaks me out. Everyone in my personal life is telling me I'll be able to pay it off and it'll be not that different than if I was a teacher or social worker with 100k debt, except for once I do pay it off as a psychologist my take home salary will boom and I will feel more fulfilled.

I'm hoping to hear back that there might be increased funding, we'll see.
My mom and dad says worst comes to worst I should just accept and if I change my mind before school starts then whatever, so be it. I don't know if that's the best idea but lol i guess if I don't go there and end up leaving the field it doesn't really matter and hey, what do you expect from a for profit PhD program?

I missed out on this because last week I was out in one of those crummy non-east coast towns interviewing for a job. I think that the OP might want to try and listen to some of the people with actual experience in the field. I moved out of LA which has some of the same problems as NY. I should have moved out before the doctoral program, but didn't know any better. The metro areas are getting flooded with graduates from these doctoral programs that are fueled by the student loan bubble and salaries of psychologists are going down or stagnant because of this. It becomes a real problem to be in the most competitive market and be from one of the less competitive schools. Some of the most competitive psychologists will be coming from the state universities from all over the country. They will be published and well-trained and if they want to move to NY or LA, they will tend to get the jobs with the top salaries.

And uhm, Adelphi isn't a PsyD. It's a PhD with a really great reputation in this area..and that internship they offer is APA Accredited and APA has retroactively like counted those who have been in it the last 2 years as having attended an APA accredited internship. This raises their match rate to 100% for the last 3 years.
I don't really care about academia reputation, I'm not going into academia. I'm going to like be a sideshow to academia, not a main player. I just wanna be that guy that skates by with a little lab, a modest academic position, and a private practice. I've seen plenty of them and they seem way less miserable than the full on, big lab, grant hounding, prestige seeking academics that don't practice and are full time academics. I'm not about that life.

And if what everyone saying about competing nationally with PhD students for NYC internships is true; how come not a single doctoral student I've talked to in years has ever seen nor mentioned anyone having to move for internship, except for those who were moving based on choice (wanting to move back to California where they're from, or wanting to relocate).

People who do doctoral programs here point blank, tend to stay here for internship. From city college, to the new school, to Adelphi; this seems to be the trend. I mean the new school has a thing where if an alumni is in any position of power at an internship site, they tend to choose new school alumni over anyone else. Maybe this is different everywhere else, and maybe someone told you all everywhere else that you have just as good a shot as people here; but the connections we're making here, and the alumni from our schools are often at these sties. Why would they pick someone from another state who has never lived in a city before, who has never worked with these populations, and who isn't from as well known a school? While Adelphi may not have the national academia cred, it most certainly has NY clinical cred. And no one I talked to in various levels and schools in the area have agreed on the consensus that I'll have to move for internship. New York doctoral students tend to get New York internships unless they personally don't want to live in New York anymore.
So honestly, the internship thing is a moot point.

Last edited:
I generally agree with what you say, WisNeuro, even a lot of what you say in this post. But again, I do think even in this post that you have a blind spot. Even if we assume that many DCTs categorically reject applications from mediocre PsyD programs (I know for a fact that that's true), don't lose the forest for the trees: these schools are turning out scores of graduates who do go on to get licensed. And most of these psychologists go on to private clinical practices where it doesn't matter at all what any of the reputable people think of them. And, in another ten, maybe twenty years, the "reputable" people will be outnumbered.

It is true that a relatively high percentage of students from the deplorable schools won't ever get licensed, but even if we assume 40% won't get licensed, we've still got a ton of new doctors.

There is no blind spot here. No one is disputing that these people go on to get licensed in significant numbers. We know that a lot of those doctors get licensed, and we see them in the community. Not sure what you think is being missed by "blind spots" here. Most of the arguments discuss the difficulty in the path, never claiming it's impossible, just harder. And, the facts are there, the numbers back that point up.

And if what everyone saying about competing nationally with PhD students for NYC internships is true; how come not a single doctoral student I've talked to in years has ever seen nor mentioned anyone having to move for internship, except for those who were moving based on choice (wanting to move back to California where they're from, or wanting to relocate).

People who do doctoral programs here point blank, tend to stay here for internship. From city college, to the new school, to Adelphi; this seems to be the trend. I mean the new school has a thing where if an alumni is in any position of power at an internship site, they tend to choose new school alumni over anyone else. Maybe this is different everywhere else, and maybe someone told you all everywhere else that you have just as good a shot as people here; but the connections we're making here, and the alumni from our schools are often at these sties. Why would they pick someone from another state who has never lived in a city before, who has never worked with these populations, and who isn't from as well known a school? While Adelphi may not have the national academia cred, it most certainly has NY clinical cred. And no one I talked to in various levels and schools in the area have agreed on the consensus that I'll have to move for internship. New York doctoral students tend to get New York internships unless they personally don't want to live in New York anymore.
So honestly, the internship thing is a moot point.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I really just want you to understand that most people have to move for internship. You get how much you love NYC, there are also a lot of students from other programs who would love to live there and they'll be applying there, too. There are a few who manage to match to their home town or stay where their grad program is located, but they're the exception rather than the rule. Those who stay put or prioritize geographical location often have to accept training that isn't as good of a fit for their goals (you mentioned specific goals that not all programs would meet) or as reputable.

I missed out on this because last week I was out in one of those crummy non-east coast towns interviewing for a job. I think that the OP might want to try and listen to some of the people with actual experience in the field. I moved out of LA which has some of the same problems as NY. I should have moved out before the doctoral program, but didn't know any better. The metro areas are getting flooded with graduates from these doctoral programs that are fueled by the student loan bubble and salaries of psychologists are going down or stagnant because of this. It becomes a real problem to be in the most competitive market and be from one of the less competitive schools. Some of the most competitive psychologists will be coming from the state universities from all over the country. They will be published and well-trained and if they want to move to NY or LA, they will tend to get the jobs with the top salaries.
If the rest of us professionals already in the field knew as much as those applying, think how much farther along or successful we would be in our careers.

I did the math on what I would have after taxes, and after student loan payments with teacher and psychologist salaries in the new york area; with the estimated debt I would have if I do this and if I go back to school an acquire what I would expect to be probably about 30k more debt for education.

The math is that I will still have more take home money after the student loan payments and taxes, if I have a psychologists salary vs a teacher's salary even accounting for the differences in debt; on the standard 10 year repayment plan.

I projected it with a 67k teaching salary and the expected extra debt from that, and a 90, 100, and 110k psychologist salary with the expected debt from that. The numbers actually win out in favor of the psychologist debt.

I based the salaries off of 1salary and used a tax estimator smartasset
and just logged into my student loan accounts and added on the loans and interests rate I would expect and used the calculator.

So I guess the question really is like the advisor, my parents, and friends in other doctoral programs in the city said; it's down to what I really want...and if I think I can handle doing the doctoral program under these circumstances. Like I said though, which would be the same circumstances if I go into another career anyways.

From what everyone tells me here about being expected to move all over, I would not even try to get a PhD elsewhere if I reject this.

As for my career , I do want to primarily be a clinician. But I would also like to teach and do research.

I just wanna be that guy that skates by with a little lab, a modest academic position, and a private practice.

I know you are primarily interested in clinical practice, but I do want to address your academic career interests since others have not.

The "modest academic position" you describe sounds like what a lot of students aspire to. However, you should know that adjuncts and lecturers don't get lab space, and they are usually offered no incentives for scholarly work. Steady non-tenure track positions are fading from the landscape; at many institutions they are the domain of spousal/recruitment-related hires and people with other funding streams (eg, grant-funded collaborators). The reality is that, in today's market, any academic position that entails more than some 1099 income and a year-to-year contract term is going to be very competitive, and for better or worse there are plenty of people who will move across the country for it, often after 2+ years on the TT job market.

I don't think anyone is describing these realities for you with the intent of shooting down your dreams. I just hope that you have your eyes fully open and have a realistic sense of your prospects before you consider taking on such a large burden of debt.

On another topic, you have received responses from several fellow New Yorkers yet still persist with comments such as --

(I talked to a friend in the doctoral program at City College and she said she never heard of people having to move all over for internship. This is not a norm in the NY area, we stay here.)

New York doctoral students tend to get New York internships unless they personally don't want to live in New York anymore.

-- so something isn't adding up. You can continue overvaluing advice from people who haven't even finished their degrees, but be honest with yourself about the confirmation bias you are indulging in doing so. You know the price tag of this path (and even then you could be underestimating). So make totally sure you understand what's in that nice looking package, and which accessories are not included.

Many of us on SDN have launched successful careers and want other people to do well, and believe it or not that is why many of us are here. We want you to do well.

I don't think that anyone is denying the state of the field or considering Adelphi a sub-par program. There is simply the question of whether this is the correct decision given where the OP stated he/she is starting from currently financially. Additionally, it seems as if the OP may be underestimating what is needed in terms of costs, time, and sacrifice (moving, etc). The plan stated is not the worst, but also far from the best. So, caveat emptor. Beyond that, our collective advice and those of the individuals solicited elsewhere is worth every penny paid.

To Peacemaker, It is not so much about who is graduating currently and getting licensed as much as what happens to them after they get licensed. I have seen what bottom of the barrel jobs look like in our field and it is not a life choice I would make.

I don't think that anyone is denying the state of the field or considering Adelphi a sub-par program. There is simply the question of whether this is the correct decision given where the OP stated he/she is starting from currently financially. Additionally, it seems as if the OP may be underestimating what is needed in terms of costs, time, and sacrifice (moving, etc). The plan stated is not the worst, but also far from the best. So, caveat emptor. Beyond that, our collective advice and those of the individuals solicited elsewhere is worth every penny paid.

To Peacemaker, It is not so much about who is graduating currently and getting licensed as much as what happens to them after they get licensed. I have seen what bottom of the barrel jobs look like in our field and it is not a life choice I would make.

Well, the EPPP stats would argue that it is subpar, just not as subpar as some worse choices. There are degrees of subparness. This would be like 1 SD below the mean of subpar based on outcome data, maybe 2 SDs based on debt load.

I know you are primarily interested in clinical practice, but I do want to address your academic career interests since others have not.

The "modest academic position" you describe sounds like what a lot of students aspire to. However, you should know that adjuncts and lecturers don't get lab space, and they are usually offered no incentives for scholarly work. Steady non-tenure track positions are fading from the landscape; at many institutions they are the domain of spousal/recruitment-related hires and people with other funding streams (eg, grant-funded collaborators). The reality is that, in today's market, any academic position that entails more than some 1099 income and a year-to-year contract term is going to be very competitive, and for better or worse there are plenty of people who will move across the country for it, often after 2+ years on the TT job market.

I don't think anyone is describing these realities for you with the intent of shooting down your dreams. I just hope that you have your eyes fully open and have a realistic sense of your prospects before you consider taking on such a large burden of debt.

On another topic, you have received responses from several fellow New Yorkers yet still persist with comments such as --

-- so something isn't adding up. You can continue overvaluing advice from people who haven't even finished their degrees, but be honest with yourself about the confirmation bias you are indulging in doing so. You know the price tag of this path (and even then you could be underestimating). So make totally sure you understand what's in that nice looking package, and which accessories are not included.

Many of us on SDN have launched successful careers and want other people to do well, and believe it or not that is why many of us are here. We want you to do well.

Yeah but none of the New Yorkers in this thread have gotten their doctoral degree in New York ...and the doctoral students I have talked to getting a degree in the New York area don't tend to have this moving around issue that you all are stating is the norm. The only thing not adding up is that, there tends to be a difference in how much relocation is necessary depending on where you get your degree.

I don't mind moving for a job, or once or twice. But expecting relocation 4-5 times for training and a position is unacceptable to me.

And I hear what you're saying about academia, it's a **** job market. I am fully aware. It is what you make out of it though as well. If I want to make more out of it I can, if I don't I don't. It's not really my priority, it's more of an aside. I will always want to have a foot in the teaching door, how much so I will decide when I get there; but I never plan on being solely and exclusively an academic.

I think the other problem is people aren't looking at my situation as I'm presenting it...

I'm not presenting a "go here or try to get into other fully funded programs"
It's "go here or go into a different field" with that other field having a much lower salary and still having high debt...

It's not this or fully funded...it's this or being an english teacher with 100k debt for me right now..
i don't really want to do anything else but these 2 things, especially after what everyone else here has said about the realities of the field and programs outside of ny

I don't mind moving for a job, or once or twice. But expecting relocation 4-5 times for training and a position is unacceptable to me.

We've explained the process of becoming licensed and the 4 steps to having a full-time licensed job. If you don't believe us speak to Adelphi...can they guarantee that you will not have to move prior to becoming a licensed clinician? Listen carefully to their response. Understand what not moving out the area means to them and to you. Needing to move to Suffolk County or Westchester in the process and requiring a car is not a big deal to some and is to others.

I think the other problem is people aren't looking at my situation as I'm presenting it...

I'm not presenting a "go here or try to get into other fully funded programs"
It's "go here or go into a different field" with that other field having a much lower salary and still having high debt...

It's not this or fully funded...it's this or being an english teacher with 100k debt for me right now..
i don't really want to do anything else but these 2 things, especially after what everyone else here has said about the realities of the field and programs outside of ny

Why does becoming an english teacher require 100k in debt?

This is a complete strawman argument. It's not being argued that APA accredited sites, captive or not, are not providing sufficient training.

What is actually being argued is that captive internships are bad in practice, because they are limiting and exist as a way for these programs to game the system. By relying on captive internships, the training opportunities for students are restricted. If the program provided better training and was more competitive, students would have more opportunities to expand their training on internship. And this is not just in explicit modality, age, etc. offered by the internship sites. Going to a new area exposes trainees to new populations, new orientation, new practices, etc. that they might not otherwise have if they remained in the same area where their grad programs are.

More importantly, although the captive internship site itself may provide good training, that doesn't mean that the quality of the training in the program itself is good. Internship match rates are one good way of quantitatively evaluating the quality of a program. Programs that use captive sites are artificially inflating their numbers by using sites that only their students can match to. This means that their program looks better than it actually is. They haven't done anything to actually improve the quality of their training, they've just made it look like their program is better to people that aren't aware of what is really going on. They still provide the same crappy training that prevented them from matching well in the first place. In fact, using a captive internship removes one of the few incentives they have to actually improve their programs.

You're missing the point. People don't complain about the poor quality PsyD programs simply due to their "reputations." It's really about the poor quality of training. This is why, as WisNeuro wrote, people here aren't painting all PsyD programs, or PhD programs for that matter, with the same brush. I'd put grads from Baylor and Rutgers up against those from the good PhD programs any day.

This is why it's problematic that poorly trained grads from any program, PsyD or PhD, are getting licensed. They represent a tangible threat to patients. Keep in mind, this is not to say that no good or even great psychologists come from any of these programs. It's that they are outliers and succeeded in spite of their programs, not because of their programs as it should be. These people are superstars who would excel anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.