Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Adjustable Glasses?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by ApplePie, Dec 22, 2008.

1. ApplePie

ApplePie Junior Member

Optometry Student
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/dec/22/diy-adjustable-glasses-josh-silver

"Silver has devised a pair of glasses which rely on the principle that the fatter a lens the more powerful it becomes. Inside the device's tough plastic lenses are two clear circular sacs filled with fluid, each of which is connected to a small syringe attached to either arm of the spectacles.

The wearer adjusts a dial on the syringe to add or reduce amount of fluid in the membrane, thus changing the power of the lens. When the wearer is happy with the strength of each lens the membrane is sealed by twisting a small screw, and the syringes removed. The principle is so simple, the team has discovered, that with very little guidance people are perfectly capable of creating glasses to their own prescription."

Has anyone heard about this? Think it'll work? They plan to distribute millions to poor people all over the world.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. blysssful

blysssful SUNY c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Wow. That sounds like an amazing project.

4. WoodyJI

WoodyJI Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Seems like it would work really well for hyperopes and people who need reading glasses...I wonder how the lenses correct for high myopes?

5. jefguth

jefguth Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    It sounds as though these are really only intended for presbyopes...

Similar idea to what is happening with the visionspring foundation.

6. fonziefonz

7+ Year Member

But if people don't 'prescribe' themselves correctly, can't they just end up making their vision worse in the long run?

7. iowaeyes

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I wish I could remember the name of the study...but anyways it was just mentioned in one of our classes that a study showed that self-selecting the wrong power of reading glasses from the drugstore did not cause any long-term damage or effects to the patient. I guess this is in effect what they are doing here. Headaches maybe, but supposedly no long term negative effects.

8. fjpod

7+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Having been on a VOSH mission, these glasses seem to be a dumb thing to me. Readers can be manufactured for less than fifty cents. It would be cheaper to give every presbyope in third world countries five pair of ready made readers than to give them one pair of the water inflatable kind. They could give the ones they don't use to their friends, and not worry about injecting clean water into a "lens" which I guarantee you will leak within a month.

Readers don't harm to your vision. Lack of eye exams does.

9. BKK

BKK Member
    10+ Year Member

I was able to use this technology on an Army Humanitarian mission to Angola in 2005 (I was one of about 20 token Air Force personnel tasked to help out the Army).

The Adaptive Eyewear glasses have a range from -6.00 to +6.00 spherical. The basis is that a layperson (i.e. non-ECP) could be trained to perform a rudimentary spherical equivalent refraction. You instructed the patient to let you know when the chart was totally blurred, then reduced the total plus power to best acuity. Sounds good in concept but the version that we had were very large and not the most aesthetically pleasing eyewear. They were a good complement to the Lion's club donated eyewear, but not the best product available.

Dr. Silver has a good premise of reducing 'curable' blindness, but this does not address ocular pathology or a good functional sphero-cylindrical lens.

BK

10. fonziefonz

7+ Year Member

I dunno, I still wouldn't trust them...

11. BKK

BKK Member
    10+ Year Member

Granted, these glasses were not the most acceptable form of vision correction due to cosmesis and endpoint acuity. They are, however, another tool in improving functional vision to underserved populations.