Jul 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello, I am currently an undergraduate student pursuing a degree in Finance; however, I am interested in practicing as a physician. At the same time, I am interested in healthcare administration and the role it plays in treatment and care. I was wondering if it is possible to take up a role in hospital administration, while also continuing to practice medicine.

LookForZebras

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
Absolutely! This is really common. Many hospitals and health systems encourage their physician leaders to continue to practice; some even require it. The logistics vary. I've heard of administrators doing clinical work 1/2 or one full day per week, a shift here and there, a week "on" as a hospitalist once every couple months, and other arrangements.

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
I’m actually doing this very thing in my current position. I do a split of roughly 60% clinical and 50% admin. I was able to set my own clinical schedule as long as it met the parameters of 60% of my hours per week.

I’m also on contract and not an employee of the system I’m in leadership for, so maybe that affords me more flexibility than usual. Regardless, I enjoy the mix and have been doing both on some level for the last 6 years now. I could never go back to being 100% clinical.

it works well for the most part. Now and then there can be an unusually high number of admin/management things going on that consume more time than usual, and that’s when I will wish I didn’t have a bunch of patients scheduled. I still manage to get through it, and it isn’t always that way. I also have the last option to reschedule patients if I absolutely need to use that time for admin.

About the Ads