Administrative Role + Clinical

Started by photo1016
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

photo1016

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am currently an undergraduate student pursuing a degree in Finance; however, I am interested in practicing as a physician. At the same time, I am interested in healthcare administration and the role it plays in treatment and care. I was wondering if it is possible to take up a role in hospital administration, while also continuing to practice medicine.
 
Absolutely! This is really common. Many hospitals and health systems encourage their physician leaders to continue to practice; some even require it. The logistics vary. I've heard of administrators doing clinical work 1/2 or one full day per week, a shift here and there, a week "on" as a hospitalist once every couple months, and other arrangements.
 
I’m actually doing this very thing in my current position. I do a split of roughly 60% clinical and 50% admin. I was able to set my own clinical schedule as long as it met the parameters of 60% of my hours per week.

I’m also on contract and not an employee of the system I’m in leadership for, so maybe that affords me more flexibility than usual. Regardless, I enjoy the mix and have been doing both on some level for the last 6 years now. I could never go back to being 100% clinical.

it works well for the most part. Now and then there can be an unusually high number of admin/management things going on that consume more time than usual, and that’s when I will wish I didn’t have a bunch of patients scheduled. I still manage to get through it, and it isn’t always that way. I also have the last option to reschedule patients if I absolutely need to use that time for admin.