admission question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brn2entertain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to apply to medical school next spring. I am currently a senior at JMU and looking to take a year off in order to put more time the application process and work in a hospital setting. I currently have a 3.74 and haven't taken the MCAT yet. I don't have a lot of EC's because a lot of my time is spend working a part-time job, participating in two sports, and focusing on my school work. I have shadowed nurses in the peds and I am currently taking a CNA course so that will hopefully help me to get a job in the hospital setting. I was not always pre-med but I don't want to rush to get volunteer/shadowing experience because it might look bad to have it all crammed into one year. However, do you think I have a semi-strong application, like is there anything I should do within the next year to add to my application as far as EC's go? working is more important to me in order to get money but I just was wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

1. you don't have a MCAT. as you can see from the recent threads, there has been a lot of 3.9+ 20 MCAT threads. we cannot comment fully
2. you are applying next spring. you think it looks bad to "cram" volunteering/shadowing in one year. I like to think not having any looks worse.
3. medical school admissions should not be considered a guarantee. neither should be a MCAT score. I worked through college too but honestly, not getting into med school/getting in early/getting into your state school/getting a merit scholarship will cost you more money than the money you are making now. remember to add interest over years.

3.74 is a good GPA. you have to add clinical volunteering, shadowing, and maybe research.

And maybe a leadership experience if you don´t already have one.