Admission to Harvard School of Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktw387

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, so i'm currently at tufts university school of medicine for my mph in global health. i'm considering applying to harvard school of public health for either the doctor of science or doctor of public health in global health. just curious as to what you think my chances of acceptance are.

undergrad: 3.5 gpa, major in human biology, minor in medical anthropology from a decent public research university
graduate: i expect to graduate with around a 3.4. however, i'm graduating a semester early
experience: i'm doing research in india on co-infection of HIV-1 and tuberculosis. also, i did an awareness campaign for obstetric fistulas in africa. basically a publicity stunt by climbing mt. kilimanjaro to raise money for surgeries, and then visiting communities in tanzania to address the human rights issues relating to obstetric fistulas, as well as some hospital volunteer work. also, i know international experience is important in this field; i've studied, worked, volunteered, and lived abroad, and in my travels i've been to about 50 countries.

a bunch of my professors at tufts have affiliations with the UN, WHO and harvard medical school for letters of recommendation.

i really want to get involved with infectious disease prevention, and i think a doctorate would be a great addition to my credentials. i know harvard is very competitive, i'm always attending seminars there, and it seems like it may be in reach. i applied to 8 schools of public health for my mph, and got accepted at all of them (with a bunch offering scholarships), so may as well shoot for the top. let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions or advice i'd be glad to hear it. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Two things:
Clearly you know that your research experience is good. And that definitely is a major factor in admissions.
I worry about your GPA. Most competitive PhD programs really look to a 3.5 or above with most applicants with a previous degree (MPH, etc) having much higher.

It's very important to have a research match. Do you see any professors with similar interests? If so, you could have a good shot. I would definitely apply to all programs that interest you.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

thanks, i agree that my gpa isn't exactly amazing. i'm taking 22 credits per semester (the average student takes 12-16) and working around 20 hours a week though, hopefully they'll sympathize

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted into a doctoral program at HSPH for this upcoming fall and my stats are quite similar to yours--especially the GPA. My advice to you is that you need to go beyond "it will add to your credentials" as the reason to why you want to apply to HSPH. Given the lower gpa, you need to stand out from the pack. The way to do that is a solid and unique research focus.

Which department(s) are you looking in to? As the poster above me rightly suggested, have you found someone in said department currently conducting that type of research?

thanks, i agree that my gpa isn't exactly amazing. i'm taking 22 credits per semester (the average student takes 12-16) and working around 20 hours a week though, hopefully they'll sympathize

environut, which program were you accepted to? also applied to hsph doctoral program but have yet to hear! tired of waiting :)