Admissions and Optional Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grateful and Blessed

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if admissions committees give preference in admission to people who have taken the "optional prerequisites" (Bichem, Microbio, Anat and Physio) for their school? I'm especially curious about the impact on applicants to SUNY Optometry. I have a some time before application and I'm try to figure out the best course of action to get accepted. Do I shadow more? Volunteer more? Study for the OAT? Take the optional prereqs?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school. I'm unfamiliar with SUNY's requirements but I know a lot of schools do require you to take those courses you listed as prerequisites and not 'optional prerequisites'. When it comes to shadowing I know a few schools have certain amount of hours required (UAB requires 60) and I know some schools want you to shadow more than one practice. I shadowed private practice, VA, ophthalmologist, etc with 100+ hours. Volunteering helps a lot too especially during interview questions.

When it comes down to whether or not you're competitive depends greatly on your GPA and OAT. When I was applying and researched all the schools it seemed like the average GPA for optometry acceptance was around ~3.4. For the OAT I would try and get no less than a 320 AA and 320 TS. Also for the OAT try and make sure you don't score below 300 in any of the sections. Some schools accept people with a 300 OAT and some schools won't give you an interview unless you retake it and improve your score. People do get in with scores less than what I posted but these scores I suggested will help you be competitive. Also, some schools look more at the OAT than the GPA and other schools are the opposite. I know SCO won't accept you with a 300 OAT (from what I've seen on this website) but a 3.2 GPA is fine. UAB will accept you with a 300 OAT but their average GPA is a 3.6.

I hope this helps!

Though I can't speak for SUNY, in my opinion more experience volunteering/shadowing/working can be a greater determining factor over taking the optional prereqs. I only know of a few people in my opto class who took the "preferred but not required" courses, so I don't think it matters too much.

Focus on the OAT advice given above, and find other ways to improve your application! Your experiences don't always have to be optometry-related, either. Hope that helps.

Hi, I'm a non-science major student and I'm thinking of applying SUNY Optometry. Could you let me know where did you take those prerequisite courses? Thank you!