Admissions Committee and this forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

m&ossyducks

I heard a rumor that some schools have admissions committee members who browse this forum... I also heard that one person was asked about this forum in their interview. Is there any truth to this rumor? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you are refering to the thread from last year that was about that topic. We discussed it quite a bit in that thread so I would do a search for it (I think it was late fall/winter?)

How would they even know who we are by our screen name? Doesn't make much sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Theres enough truth to it to warrant thinking critically about anything you post, especially if you're talking about their school in a negative light. The only way they figure out who it is is if you give enough information that they can put two and two together or you give your name out.

Mossyduck! Are you worried because you posted that people in zoo/exotic med didnt matter? =P

(joking)

If I were them, I'd sure take a peek! Why not? I think there was some truth to the thread last year.

But I'm sure they also have a ton of common sense: i.e. although i joke about squirrels on this forum, don't dress up in a squirrel suit and run around in it on the weekends and bark up a tree to the squirrels in my yard.

Be yourself, but don't do something crazy when voicing your opinions.

But I'm sure they also have a ton of common sense: i.e. although i joke about squirrels on this forum, don't dress up in a squirrel suit and run around in it on the weekends and bark up a tree to the squirrels in my yard.
Uh huh, sure. :p

Yup, I was asked about this forum in one of my interviews.

I had a friend who was asked my an adcom if they were "screenname blah blah blah" on SDN

nm

Last edited:
Ratbandit-

What did they ask you specifically? What was your reply?

They asked me if I had heard of student doctor network where people post interview questions.
I don't think I actually answered the question...don't really remember how I avoided it either tho...I believe I just stalled and they took it as me being confused as to what they were talking about and then they said something like, "well it doesn't matter b/c I'm sure you didn't see any questions like these!"
I didn't post this response to the other thread b/c I didn't want them to read my post before I was accepted/rejected. I picked another school so it doesn't really matter if I post now!

Honestly, I'm sure adcoms don't care, much less have time to be perusing SDN. Unless someone is talking trash in a topic with the title of their school, they're probably not even going to look. I've actually heard that some of them think it's funny how many people come on here and freak out.

Just in case though, NEVER give any info that could identify you until after the admissions process is over. Don't sign your name on a post. Don't put up a picture of yourself. Don't be specific when you fill in "location". Definitely don't say which school you went to.

That or never say anything the least bit controversial, like me! :D

If I were them, I'd sure take a peek! Why not? I think there was some truth to the thread last year.

Be yourself, but don't do something crazy when voicing your opinions.

Awww...why not?:p

That or never say anything the least bit controversial, like me!
Or just be willing to own your opinions. Open-mindedness and tolerance are key, but there's nothing wrong with standing up for a minority opinion. I have to think the adcom would rather hear a well-reasoned argument they happen to disagree with than some wishy-washy blabber that never takes a stand on anything. I mean, honestly, folks... Would you really want to attend the kind of school that wouldn't accept people who ever voiced unpopular opinions? Besides, there are two whole classes in the first quarter of freshman year at Davis dedicated to cultivating, accepting, discussing, and evaluating differing viewpoints. If it's not all just lip service, then if anything they probably browse this forum *looking* for people with controversial opinions! :D

Now being outright disrespectful to a particular person, or making blatantly false accusations about a school or something... That's just unprofessional and immature, and they'd be right to look down on that.

Hi, I may be stupid, but just what does adcom mean?

Administration commitee is what I have come up with that may make sense?