mdkarma

10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Status
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could provide some insight. I'm wondering what my chances of admission to St. George's would be. I have a 2.75 undergrad GPA and a 28S MCAT (10V, 9B, 9P). I have worked in media for the past few years and as such do not have any recent health-relaed experience (since research, volunteering in college)

thanks

IMbound

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
mdkarma said:
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could provide some insight. I'm wondering what my chances of admission to St. George's would be. I have a 2.75 undergrad GPA and a 28S MCAT (10V, 9B, 9P). I have worked in media for the past few years and as such do not have any recent health-relaed experience (since research, volunteering in college)

thanks
There are actually several threads with this info. Just do a thread search on this site. Also www.valuemd.com has a whole SGU forum with this same q looked at extensively. I am currently a MSIV at SGU and when I was applying 4 years ago your GPA and MCAT might have been competitive. It may still be competitive now but some of the things I was reading on the valuemd sgu forum made me think otherwise. In any case, try and see what they say. They may want you to go the MPH route in which you take complete your MPH and then receive admittance to the MD program. I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!!!

berkeleyboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2002
Phoenix AZ
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
you might as well give it a try. You never know with SGU. My interviewer told me when I told him my mcat score that my score was just average (30)and there were a lot of more competitive mcats matriculating. I was actually shocked....because they post online that sgu's average mcat is like 26 or something. My gpa was a little higher than yours, 3.18. but you never know! my roomate has a 3.4 and a 22 or 23 on his mcat. His brother was an alum so I don't know if that made a difference. I'd say give it a try, the January class is a little easier to get in than the fall class. :D

mdsh00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2003
CA
Visit site
Status
mdkarma said:
Hi,

thanks
Try it out. Though I would try for January as you might be a little behind if you apply for August at this time. I interviewed yesterday with a 3.4 and 29R, and the interviewer said my numbers were reasonably good. So let's see what happens.

Shay1116

10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Status
mdkarma said:
Hi,

thanks
I recently applied to SGU for Fall 2005 and my GPA is a little lower than yours and my MCAT score is much lower. I also got a recommendation from one of the professors at SGU and I went to their Camp Medicine last summer. They told me that I showed potential and offered me an interview for the MPH program. If I maintain a 3.5 gpa in the MPH program and get a letter from the Dean then I am automatically accepted into the MD program. My interview is next week in Boston. I definitely recommend Camp Medicine. I learned so much about the school and med school in general while I was there. If you do end up going, get as many recommendations from professors you meet down there as possible, that's what I did. I think that's what got me this interview, otherwise they would have just laughed at my application and thrown it away. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. :)

bwana25

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
Status
Hi. MPH is a maters degree in public health. SGU has a school of public health in association with their graduate school. It is a stand alone program or you can do it in combination with the MD program (MD/MPH).

Phil Anthropist

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
Visit site
Status
The MPH program is somewhat controversial as you'll see if you visit ValueMD. It's expensive and it's not US or CEPH accredited. But if you're using it to get into SGU-SOM, it's a good route. And I *think* it can be completed in less than a year, but don't quote me on that. There's also an MS in Microbiology program that will also allow entry into the med school with a 3.5, if I remember correctly, but it's 1.5 years. However, you already take three of the SGU MS-1 med courses.

But in my opinion, if you WANT an MPH and are considering incorporating a strong public health component into your role as a physician, there are many accelerated 1-year programs (including Hopkins, Berkeley, Tulane, BU and Harvard if I remember correctly) that can be completed in one year. And the price is the same or better than SGU's. These are CEPH accredited, which may or may not be important depending on your goals (federal jobs, preventive medicine fellowships, etc.). Now maybe SGU's program is good, but I doubt it's on par with Hopkins, Harvard, Berkeley, Tulane, BU etc. I even considered doing the MPH program because I thought it would be an interesting experience to have before applying to US med schools (I'm dead serious). It's one of the few 1-year MPH programs that doesn't require that you have a professional degree or experience in public health (the other one I know is Dartmouth's CECS MPH program). But for the price and the lack of CEPH accrediation, I'm not willing to risk it.