Advanced standing- or anybody

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priya26

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on a temporary visa here in US and living in NY for the past three years. I have had a driving license since then. Can anybody tell me if I'll be considered a NY state resident for the state school(SUNY) and also if I'll be eligible for NY resident tuition fee.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll get a response if you post it under the financial aid forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey priya,
I am sorry to say that you wont be considered a state resident of NY. No matter how long you have lived in a state, as long as you dont have green card, you will always be considered a foreigner for tuition paying purposes. Now, if you were to get green card in a few months and then you live in NY for the next year and pay state taxes, and prove that you are not in NY solely for education purposes, then you would be considered a NY state resident and be eligible for resident fee at SUNY. I hope I have clarified things for you.

Thanks Perplexed and Futuredentist. I'll be applying for my green card in few days and it will take two years to get it. Do you think this would help me for this year.

Also I have been paying NY state taxes from past 3 years now and will be paying in coming years too.

Hi priya,
I dont think you understood my reply. Even if you have been paying taxes for the past 3 years, you would still be considered foreigner. Even if you have applied for GC this year it wont help you this year with regards to the resident tuition fee. Only when you get the GC in your hand or atleast get stamped in your passport ( in some states) will you be eligible for the tuition fee. The same thing happened with me. My husband and I thought that since we have been living in Indiana for 4 years and my husband was working in Indiana we would be eligible for the resident fee. It was not so. Even when we got our passport stamped (which means your GC is approved and is the last stage before you get the actual GC in your hand) we were told in IU that we were not eligible for resident tuition fee. Only when we got our actual GC in our hand I was eligible for the in-state resident tuition fee. If you are willing to wait for 2 years, then you will be eligible for the resident tuition fee. But, if you think you are wasting time then going to private school is the best option. Ultimately you have to decide which is advantageous to you saving time or saving money. Also, if you are going for school now you need to find somebody willing to cosign for you to get the loan. I will telll you one thing though, in-state resident tuition fee is very cheap. In my case, the tuition fee is only 14,000 per year for IU. My husband can pay most if not all of the tuition fee. When I graduate I will have minimal debt. That is a huge relief to me. But, the downside is I had to wait many years patiently for it to happen.
I hope I will clarified things for you this time around.

Thanks a lot for making me understand that. I really appreciate your effort here. I think I cant wait that long anymore. If I get a spot this year, I'll definitely take it.
Priya