MD & DO Advice for nontraditional pre-med student taking pre-reqs at CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP4545

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I know this topic has been posted a couple years before; however, I wanted to gain fresh feedback.

Some background information:
I transferred from a community college to a four-year university and graduated with a B.A in psychology and social behavior with a minor in medical humanities.

Would it be okay to go back to my CC to take my pre-med prereqs? I am only wondering because taking all of my pre-reqs at the UC would cost me about $25,000, but taking it at my CC would only be about $1,800 including books and parking.

I have heard some people tell me that going back to a CC would make it look like I am taking the cheap way out and would put me at a disadvantage.

However, I was so mad that I called UCI, UCLA, USC, WESTERN University, UCD, and UCSD on the phone. UCD and UCSD laughed at me and said "why would it matter? Financially it makes sense...how do you think older people with children take the pre-reqs?" But Western University (D.O) said that it would put me at a disadvantage. Others have also criticized and said that when I called I might have talked to people who don't overview the application...

My clinical experiences/background:
-150 hours of shadowing psychiatrist
-50 hours of shadowing a surgeon
-250 hours of volunteering in the O.R and general volunteering office
-120 hours as a recuperative healthcare intern
-2 years of neurobio research (letter graded with 40 unit) and had 2 poster presentations w/ 3 grants awarded
-1 year of experience as a CPR & First aid instructor
-Undergrad T.A for 2 classes: clinical neuroscience & abnormal psychology
Undergrad GPA: 3.67 (was a little low because I got a 2.0 GPA when I first entered the University..)

Classes background:
-4 underdiv bio classes (no labs, but heard some schools let you use bioresearch to substitute)
-2 quarters worth of Chem (no labs... was planning on retaking the entire chem series at CC)
-no physics
-no ochem
**was planning to take anatomy + physio + biochem at CC?

Any thoughts/opinions on what I should do next? I am so lost....

Members don't see this ad.

It definitely will not matter for DO schools. A few MD schools do not accept community college science prerequisites. You could check at any MD school you are interested in.