Advice for Potential Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catie_jane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

I was lucky enough to have 2 II so far this cycle but since the post-II decisions won't be made until much later I want to make sure that I have a Plan B in place in case things do not work out this cycle.

Here is some information regarding my 2015-2016 application:

MCAT 509 (128, 125, 129, 127)
sGPA/cGPA: 3.97 (Graduated valedictorian of my class ~550)
Biology major/Pysch minor - graduated 2015
-22 yo, CT resident (currently living in MA for the past 5 years)

RESEARCH
-Research assistant through Brown University. Worked on 2 NIH funded studies and worked with patients suffering from bipolar disorder and depression (~1 year)
-Presented poster as first author at national conference in Boston MA
-Co-author on peer-reviewed article published in Journal of Psychiatric Practice

-Granted a research fellowship at my undergrad and worked in a microbiology lab where I worked on characterizing new species of bacteria (~1.5 years).
-Completed and defended and honors thesis
-Part of my fellowship I supervised and mentored 2 students in the lab who were transferring from CC to our undergrad
-Presented poster as first author at MassMyco Meeting
-Publication as 1st author currently in the works (hopefully submit sometime this month)

CLINICAL/SHADOWING
-Internship/Shadowing in the ED for 1 summer (~200 hours)
-Offered a scribe job by the hospital I shadowed at and have been working as an ED scribe (>2000 hours @ the moment)
-Brief stint as a scribe in orthopedic surgery (~1 month)

VOLUNTEERING
-Volunteered in a locked psychiatric ward at the VA (~50 hours)
-Volunteered in a special needs classroom for 1 semester (~50 hours)
-Habitat for Humanity (~1 year) - but not on AMCAS application

OTHER EC'S
-Commuter rep on SGA Class of 2015 Committee (~2 years) - committee of the year both years. Took on a personal project where I worked with MassDOT to place crosswalks at entrances of school
-Tutor/TA/PLTL Leader for Cell Biology, Biological Principles, Orgo I and II, and General Chemistry II (~3 years)
-Worked at an animal hospital as a kennel attendent (~1 year)
-Assistant manager for the catering department for my schools food company (~3 years)

AWARDS
- 2015 Outstanding Biology Student
-Organic Chemistry Award

New activities since submissions (updated schools that accepted them):
- Recently promoted to supervisor at my catering job for Sodexo
- Hospice Volunteer (>100 hours at the moment and will continue)
- Auditing Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II at my alma mater over the past year

Here is my 2015--2016 School List

*Complete between 9/14-9/25 due to delayed committee letter by my school

Interviews:
WVU (waitlisted, not a shocker for OOS - should hear back again by May 1st)
UCONN (waiting on post-interview decision)

Rejections (reach schools italicized):
Mayo
Rochester
BU
Pitt
Case
Hofstra

UVM
Wake Forest
GWU
Creighton
VCU

Pending:
Einstein
Tufts
Drexel (spring hold)
Albany
Temple
Jefferson
Emory
Loyola
NYMC
Quinnipiac

Hoping I can get some advice on areas to improve on and what I should do come June 1st (whether reapply, take another year off, stay at my scribing job, etc)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what areas you could improve on, honestly. You've been getting interviews, so I'd suggest working on interview skills and applying earlier next time while continuing to work a relevant job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what areas you could improve on, honestly. You've been getting interviews, so I'd suggest working on interview skills and applying earlier next time while continuing to work a relevant job.

The only big thing that I can think of is how late I was complete at schools. I was told my letter would be done by earlier August but didn't end up getting uploaded until 9/14. Do you think having applied by August would have made a huge difference?

You just scared the bejesus out of every junior planning to apply next year.

Well there must be some flaws to my application since I've been getting the cold shoulder at schools where my stats match :(

The biggest problem I see is this; this is an application tailed to research oriented schools. The problem is the MCAT just isnt there for that(a somewhat unbalanced 30 equivalent). Being a valedictorian of a school is great, but when the MCAT isnt there, for the higher end schools it just wont work. In many ways, the difference between say a 3.77/30 and a 3.97/30 is minute. The lack of IIs also can be indicative of the written parts of your app not being as great as they could have been. On your MDapps it said you didnt get a II to UCONN until last month which means you got passed over by alot of people in your state. Considering UCONN interviews over half their IS applicants, that might be indicative of the written parts of your app not being as high quality as they could have been.

The schools where your stats are competitive are in many cases schools with missions to service(G-town, Creighton, Loyola, Rush, Quinnipac etc). And that's where you are lacking. You obviously did alot in your time in college but for schools where there is a mission towards service, an app without much in the way of service simply isnt going to appeal to them. In fact if you spent alot of your essays talking about your research experience and building yourself up through that, I can see why a lot of lower tiers where that isnt the focus would shy away to some extent. And in general, lack of any real volunteering and altruism based service will be problematic for alot of schools.

So what I would say is if you dont get into WVU or UCONN this cycle is tailor your application to schools where your stats are competitive, ie get more service and volunteering experience with the most vulnerable and least fortunate populations. Fix your app's where it is weak. You dont need more scribing experience when youve already done over 200o hours. As a reapplicant the standards are higher and you need to show significant improvement to get the same consideration. Im skeptical 100 more volutneering hours and more work experience is that. So if your end goal is MD, I think waiting until summer of 2017 to apply and taking next cycle off might be smart. If you want to start medical school ASAP, your a very good DO candidate as is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
The only big thing that I can think of is how late I was complete at schools. I was told my letter would be done by earlier August but didn't end up getting uploaded until 9/14. Do you think having applied by August would have made a huge difference?
I think being complete (as in primary, secondary, and LORs) in july/august would have helped a bit, but I can't say it would have completely changed your cycle. If you got interviews though but no acceptances, perhaps you don't interview well.

Reactions: 1 user
Well there must be some flaws to my application since I've been getting the cold shoulder at schools where my stats match :(
If one were create a perfect medical school application, it would be this with a slightly higher MCAT, in my opinion. I am astonished you only have two interviews so far. The only thing I can possibly think of is something in your essays, or conceivably lukewarm LORs? But I can't really comment on that. I think that if you don't get in this time, managing to speak with at least one of the admissions offices that rejected you would shed a lot of light on the situation.

Agree, nothing seems to stand out as a deal breaker. Maybe your personal statement was too "list-like", and not a compelling story. Have someone take a look at that and your secondary responses. I've been blessed this cycle, and I really think it was the time and effort I and other spent on crafting and editing my PS and Secondary responses.

Unless you are hell bent to stay near the east coast, add Oakland University and U of Miami to your list next year. Good luck to you.

The schools where your stats are competitive are in many cases schools with missions to service(G-town, Creighton, Loyola, Rush, Quinnipac etc). And that's where you are lacking. You obviously did alot in your time in college but for schools where there is a mission towards service, an app without much in the way of service simply isnt going to appeal to them. Everybody has alot of time they arent spending on school and other stuff; you choose to spend it on research. That's all well and good but for schools where the mission isnt towards that, there are other applicants who spend their time outside of school in those type of activities that are more appealing. In fact if you spent alot of your essays talking about your research experience and building yourself up through that, I can see why a lot of lower tiers where that isnt the focus would shy away to some extent. And in general, lack of any real volunteering and altruism based service will be problematic for alot of schools.

I know that my lack of apparent service was most likely a weakness in my app which I why I began getting involved with hospice over the summer.

Unfortunately a lot of my service activities are intertwined with my other ECs. For example, I worked at the Animal Hospital for a long time but within that I was a huge part of their pitbull rescue (in my spare time). Additionally my position on SGA allowed me to work closely with Campus Ministry and I did a lot of service that way.

I tried to incorporate that through the descriptions on AMCAS but maybe that didn't come through clear enough?

*As a side note, at my UCONN interview my interviewer told me that it was clear in my application that I had a strong interest in working with the underserved and minority populations (only n=1 however).

I think being complete (as in primary, secondary, and LORs) in july/august would have helped a bit, but I can't say it would have completely changed your cycle. If you got interviews though but no acceptances, perhaps you don't interview well.
As she was valedictorian of her class, her committee letter should have rocked. I don't interview well, but the key is getting the IIs so chances are you will click with someone (funny, not my best interviews were the ones I got accepted). This is a bit of a mystery, and an earlier submission may make all the difference in the world. Try again next year, and get your stuff in on the first day!

Agree, nothing seems to stand out as a deal breaker. Maybe your personal statement was too "list-like", and not a compelling story. Have someone take a look at that and your secondary responses. I've been blessed this cycle, and I really think it was the time and effort I and other spent on crafting and editing my PS and Secondary responses.

Unless you are hell bent to stay near the east coast, add Oakland University and U of Miami to your list next year. Good luck to you.

Completely agree. I spent a ton of time crafting my PS and essays this cycle - I went from 2 IIs and no acceptances the first cycle to 10IIs the second cycle, and I've been accepted to almost all the ones I've attended.

Reactions: 5 users

I had the dean of admissions (the old pre-med advisor) work with me for months on my PS and a lot of the "generic" secondary prompts (diversity, challenges overcome, etc.). But maybe that it still the case.

And congrats on your success!

Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest problem I see is this; this is an application tailed to research oriented schools. The problem is the MCAT just isnt there for that(a somewhat unbalanced 30 equivalent). Being a valedictorian of a school is great, but when the MCAT isnt there, for the higher end schools it just wont work. In many ways, the difference between say a 3.77/30 and a 3.97/30 is minute. The lack of IIs also can be indicative of the written parts of your app not being as great as they could have been. On your MDapps it said you didnt get a II to UCONN until last month which means you got passed over by alot of people in your state. Considering UCONN interviews over half their IS applicants, that might be indicative of the written parts of your app not being as high quality as they could have been.

The schools where your stats are competitive are in many cases schools with missions to service(G-town, Creighton, Loyola, Rush, Quinnipac etc). And that's where you are lacking. You obviously did alot in your time in college but for schools where there is a mission towards service, an app without much in the way of service simply isnt going to appeal to them. In fact if you spent alot of your essays talking about your research experience and building yourself up through that, I can see why a lot of lower tiers where that isnt the focus would shy away to some extent. And in general, lack of any real volunteering and altruism based service will be problematic for alot of schools.

So what I would say is if you dont get into WVU or UCONN this cycle is tailor your application to schools where your stats are competitive, ie get more service and volunteering experience with the most vulnerable and least fortunate populations. Fix your app's where it is weak. You dont need more scribing experience when youve already done over 200o hours. As a reapplicant the standards are higher and you need to show significant improvement to get the same consideration. Im skeptical 100 more volutneering hours and more work experience is that. So if your end goal is MD, I think waiting until summer of 2017 to apply and taking next cycle off might be smart. If you want to start medical school ASAP, your a very good DO candidate as is.

Wow. This is some really amazing and thoughtful advice. Wish you could've been my pre-med advisor!!

I tried to incorporate that through the descriptions on AMCAS but maybe that didn't come through clear enough?

You answered your own question right there.

While you applied to a bunch of reach schools that werent really realistic you have enough realistic schools that I dont think list is the issue. The written parts of your app, how you present yourself, sell yourself etc as well as the lack of service are the areas that probably held you back the most. It's subtle things in terms of presentation, not necessairly "poor" writing quality. If your app spent a bunch of time talking about your research experience and painted you as someone primarily focused in research, that is the type of app that could easily not appeal to some of the schools where your stats are competitive.

Well I am still waiting to hear back post-interview but just want to make sure I have everything in line in case things don't go my way.

I was told at my committee interview and subsequent mock interviews that I interview well but maybe not as well for the real deal? :shrug: I connected well with all my interviewers but who knows!

Hopefully UConn is going to pull through for you and none of this will matter.

One of my first reactions, on your behalf and if I was a parent, is being livid towards your undergrad. I'm assuming given you seem to be the very responsible sort that you requested the cmte letter well in advance. For Stonehill to be delayed for their star valedictorian candidate is absurd to me. Also sends a terrible message. If the valedictorian at Stonehill can't get in med school then how are any other Stonehill grads going to get in? Does your school know how much trouble you are having? Some of your professors should be doing whatever they possibly can do to get you in UConn.

I agree that your app comes across as research heavy with a MCAT at the lower end of competitive, but that said, your resume is still jam-packed. There are no huge holes that I can see. At a minimum you should have gotten several more interviews. It's hard to judge your interviewing since you've only had two with the results still pending. Presumably you had some people look over your essay and written materials.

I don't see what waiting another year would do. Keep the volunteering going (and presumably you did update the schools about hospice and other stuff), tweak your written materials, blast Stonehill to have the letter ready on Day 1, and apply on Day 1.

Reactions: 4 users
Completely agree. I spent a ton of time crafting my PS and essays this cycle - I went from 2 IIs and no acceptances the first cycle to 10IIs the second cycle, and I've been accepted to almost all the ones I've attended.
That's incredible! What did you focus on, in general terms? What do you think was the issue initially?

I had the dean of admissions (the old pre-med advisor) work with me for months on my PS and a lot of the "generic" secondary prompts (diversity, challenges overcome, etc.). But maybe that it still the case.

And congrats on your success!
Yes, ditch the pre-med advisor and get an English major or some other people (plural!!) who can help you with the story telling aspect with a theme, weaving experiences into your journey (not the " I did this, then that"). This is your story, and should be written in a way that is enticing. And your timing probably didn't help. Now that you got your committee letter set for next year, get your app in on day one.

Hopefully UConn is going to pull through for you and none of this will matter.

One of my first reactions, on your behalf and if I was a parent, is being livid towards your undergrad. I'm assuming given you seem to be the very responsible sort that you requested the cmte letter well in advance. For Stonehill to be delayed for their star valedictorian candidate is absurd to me. Also sends a terrible message. If the valedictorian at Stonehill can't get in med school then how are any other Stonehill grads going to get in? Does your school know how much trouble you are having? Some of your professors should be doing whatever they possibly can do to get you in UConn.

I agree that your app comes across as research heavy with a MCAT at the lower end of competitive, but that said, your resume is still jam-packed. There are no huge holes that I can see. At a minimum you should have gotten several more interviews. It's hard to judge your interviewing since you've only had two with the results still pending. Presumably you had some people look over your essay and written materials.

I don't see what waiting another year would do. Keep the volunteering going (and presumably you did update the schools about hospice and other stuff), tweak your written materials, blast Stonehill to have the letter ready on Day 1, and apply on Day 1.

Thank you for the advice!

And yes, hopefully my 2 II will provide good news and this will be for nothing, but I tend to like to plan for the worst so I am not caught off guard.

I am hoping to pick up another volunteering position with either the free clinic in town and/or one of the local homeless shelters so hopefully come June 1st I will have rounded out that aspect of my application (if worst comes to worst)

Well I am still waiting to hear back post-interview but just want to make sure I have everything in line in case things don't go my way.

I was told at my committee interview and subsequent mock interviews that I interview well but maybe not as well for the real deal? :shrug: I connected well with all my interviewers but who knows!

That's smart. In that case, don't lose out hope until you hear back from the places you interviewed at. Also, now that I pay closer attention to your school list, I notice it's short and top heavy. Make sure to expand and tailor your list for another cycle (aka avoid places that get 10k+ applications)

Reactions: 1 users
That's incredible! What did you focus on, in general terms? What do you think was the issue initially?

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions, don't want to hijack OPs thread

Yes, ditch the pre-med advisor and get an English major or some other people (plural!!) who can help you with the story telling aspect with a theme, weaving experiences into your journey (not the " I did this, then that"). This is your story, and should be written in a way that is enticing. And your timing probably didn't help. Now that you got your committee letter set for next year, get your app in on day one.

Yes, I had a bunch of professors read it but maybe I should branch out even further to some of my english, history, philosophy professors I had!

And yes, worst comes to worst I will have everything submitted Day 1 with some different schools added so I am not a reapplicant at all of them!

Thank you for all of the advice!

I agree with @bananafish also. It's easy to try and diagnose a problem in hindsight, but I think 95% of readers here would view this profile as a definite MD admit with a good list and within the right timeframes. Very impressive.

Strong feeling UConn is going to come through but it's still disconcerting that you with this app could be so dependent on one school's decision. You've also proven through your posting on this site that you're not some narcissistic jerk or odd, bizarrely awkward type.

Reactions: 4 users
For what it's worth, I've seen a healthy amount of people on SDN and in real life (including myself) who have lots of research and sometimes publications and a low MCAT, who are struggling. I didn't know that could play such a big role.

In the same position as you, and if either of my II don't come through as in acceptance I'll be reapplying (have already began to prepare for such just incase), but he fact you didn't get a II to GWU when I did when you app is 5x more impressive than mine just makes me question everything. Best of luck to you @catie_jane you deserve this as much as anyone!!!!

Yes, I had a bunch of professors read it but maybe I should branch out even further to some of my english, history, philosophy professors I had!

And yes, worst comes to worst I will have everything submitted Day 1 with some different schools added so I am not a reapplicant at all of them!

Thank you for all of the advice!
Ultimately, it may be just bad luck with a bit of timing delay. This as a bit of a crapshoot, as you are from a small state with only one IS school. Folks from MI, NY, FL, TX have a lot of IS bias choices. As you are an east coaster, add a bunch of the NY schools that are NE friendly.

I do think at an individual level, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. My work colleague is a re-applicant this year with 3 acceptances under her belt. Not much really changed for her except she applied to more schools, and applied early. I will probably be rejected by 12 schools at the end of this application cycle. If my bad luck was that I only applied to these 12 schools and the other 6 where I'm waitlisted/denied after II, I would be a reapplicant.

Last edited:
Well I want to thank everyone for their kind words and very helpful advice!

I hope that this will all be for nothing and hopefully I will have good news in the upcoming weeks :)

Reactions: 2 users
Send an interest letter to WVU in April. You're the perfect candidate that they can pull off the list.

Only problem I can see is not applying early enough. Hope Uconn works out for you. Just out of curiosity, why did you not apply to Brown? Doing research there and being from New England might have given you a good shot.

How many students from your undergrad are admitted to MD schools each year? Which ones? It may be helpful to figure this out

How many students from your undergrad are admitted to MD schools each year? Which ones? It may be helpful to figure this out

There are only 5 of us applying this year (ranging from 2012-2015 grads) and 2 are applying DO only

Only problem I can see is not applying early enough. Hope Uconn works out for you. Just out of curiosity, why did you not apply to Brown? Doing research there and being from New England might have given you a good shot.

Too much of an undergraduate bias and I don't think my stats were high enough to get an II without the undergrad affiliation

Reapplicant here.

The only difference between my two applications was how I added ~30 hours of research and got all of my apps submitted on day one and never sat on a secondary for more than a few days before submitting it. That's really it. I suppose I had my essays edited by more people too... But barely.

Those two changes alone were the difference between 1 II with no acceptance last year and 7 IIs and an acceptance this year.

I can't speak enough for submitting stuff as early as possible. Hopefully you won't have to apply again, but if so... This should be top priority! Worked for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Reapplicant here.

The only difference between my two applications was how I added ~30 hours of research and got all of my apps submitted on day one and never sat on a secondary for more than a few days before submitting it. That's really it. I suppose I had my essays edited by more people too... But barely.

Those two changes alone were the difference between 1 II with no acceptance last year and 7 IIs and an acceptance this year.

I can't speak enough for submitting stuff as early as possible. Hopefully you won't have to apply again, but if so... This should be top priority! Worked for me :)

Stats?

you will get in somewhere. if you don't just reapply to more schools. there is no glaring weakness. the only issue I see is that the mcat is very low in comparison to the gpa/valedictorian standing. why is that? what happened? what college did you attend?

even so, you will get in. please relax.

OP, I am sorry you are going through this. Your app and stats ROCK :)!

I applied and submitted my primary in October, and completed my secondary in November and had IIs.

I think you need to ask the school for feedback.

How was your PS? Are you applying straight out of undergrad?
You should have received at least 8 interviews ;).

I am sure you are going to get into UConn ^_^

If you end up reapplying I would try to focus on 2 or so service/clinical oriented activities that you care about. Building a passionate interest/focus in a few things in my opinion is more meaningful that 50 hours here or a semester there and it will show

There are only 5 of us applying this year (ranging from 2012-2015 grads) and 2 are applying DO only

The reason why I ask is because I'm wondering if historical placement of undergraduates into certain schools might be a factor. You may want to consider asking your premed advisor which med schools students at your college have had success applying to. Good luck, you sound like a stellar applicant!

@catie_jane - I don't have enough knowledge to advise you, but I just wanted to add my own good wishes. I've seen you on different threads over the past months, being so supportive and encouraging to other members. You truly deserve this. Good luck!! We're rooting for you. :)

32 mcat (12P/9V/11B)
3.86 (both gpas)
OOS for all schools applied to (Utah only has one school and I didn't apply there)

Last edited:
I'd find somewhere to network in your shoes, that's just me though

Reapplicant here.

Totally agree with you! I can only imagine how different the cycle would have been had my committee letter been complete 1-1.5 months earlier.

But either way, if I do have to reapply that it a very easy fix! Congrats on your success this cycle :)

you will get in somewhere. if you don't just reapply to more schools. there is no glaring weakness. the only issue I see is that the mcat is very low in comparison to the gpa/valedictorian standing. why is that? what happened? what college did you attend?

even so, you will get in. please relax.

The reason I did so well in school was because I practiced a lot (small liberal arts school = a lot of daily busy work). I think with the MCAT there were very few resources available (I used all 2015 available materials) that replicated the new exam so I was thrown off a little by not be able to practice as much as I usually would.

And trust me, I am "relaxed". But I thought some feedback/preparation in case I had to reapply would be nice

If you end up reapplying I would try to focus on 2 or so service/clinical oriented activities that you care about. Building a passionate interest/focus in a few things in my opinion is more meaningful that 50 hours here or a semester there and it will show

That is what I have been doing during my gap year (hospice volunteer), in addition to the pitbull rescue work I did in undergrad!

@catie_jane - I don't have enough knowledge to advise you, but I just wanted to add my own good wishes. I've seen you on different threads over the past months, being so supportive and encouraging to other members. You truly deserve this. Good luck!! We're rooting for you. :)

That is very kind, thank you!

OP, I am sorry you are going through this. Your app and stats ROCK :)!

I applied and submitted my primary in October, and completed my secondary in November and had IIs.

I think you need to ask the school for feedback.

How was your PS? Are you applying straight out of undergrad?
You should have received at least 8 interviews ;).

I am sure you are going to get into UConn ^_^

Once I hear back from Uconn (if it is bad news) I will email my advisers and see if they can give me some feedback as well!

And my advisers/professors really liked my PS (went through about 9 drafts). And no, I graduated in May 2015 so I am technically in a gap year right now!

Is retaking the MCAT an option for you? Seems like that's the only thing holding you back. Otherwise you seem like a near perfect applicant. Certainly much better than my own stuff (asides for the MCAT)

Is retaking the MCAT an option for you? Seems like that's the only thing holding you back. Otherwise you seem like a near perfect applicant. Certainly much better than my own stuff (asides for the MCAT)

I considered it, but it is a 30-31 with good scores in both sciences so I went with it.

I think I would try submitting my application earlier first than retaking the MCAT