Advice for reapplying next year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saabbro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

After a couple waitlists I've been working on a plan for a second gap year and had a few questions about how to approach my next year reapplying. I feel comfortable with my application with regards to gpa/mcat, research, clinical experience and shadowing, LORs, PS, but one aspect I could have improved on was my volunteering experience, with about 50 hrs clinical volunteering and maybe 10 or so nonclinical from a service trip or two. I have recently been offered a position as a tutor with a charter school serving students from lower income families, which is essentially a volunteering position with a living stipend, so it's similar to City Year. I've been very involved in tutoring students while in high school and started volunteering to tutor students again while working as a scribe so this is what led me to consider such a position in the first place. So that leads me to my questions as to where to go from this point.

1. Would accepting this position for a year benefit me enough to help me get more interviews next year? All things being equal I feel pretty passionate about tutoring so if I have to take a gap year I think this is how I would like to spend it.

2. On reapplying, is there any need to modify my personal statement if I feel good about it? I've had a few people read it and after some minor corrections they said it was good. Also with some schools I would be reapplying to, can I reuse the supplementary for a school if I think it's good?

Any input is appreciated and thank you in advance for any responses

Members don't see this ad.

I am unclear in how much clinical exposure you have via shadowing. you certainly need some significant volunteering and particularly volunteering in a clinical, hospital, or other medical related venue. While shadowing may satisfying some clinical pieces, it is done for you as an observer while volunteering is done for others in as an active participant.

Would it be enough if by the end of this year I have 100hrs clinical volunteering? also I have been working as a scribe this year so by this point I have hundreds of hrs of clinical experience, so I feel that its enough from that perspective