Advice for senior year applications to post-bacc programs vs. gap year then apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skertdayert

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a current junior and had a recent change of heart about careers and want to become a physician (or give it a good shot at least). I have taken Chem 1 + lab, Chem 2, and Biology 1 + lab. I won't have time to complete the rest of the pre reqs my senior year as I have to take classes to complete my major/minor. I had a couple questions about what my best options are going forward.

Q1: Would formal/structured post bacc options even be possible with already haven taken 3 of the pre reqs?

Q2: Since I have already taken a couple pre reqs, would an unstructured post bacc like UWash or extension schools be a better choice?

Q3: I am having trouble finding programs that allow graduating seniors to apply. Does anyone know of post-bacc programs that allow this?

Overall, I would like to get the ball rolling the summer right after graduating, but most programs require you to obtain your bachelors degree first, giving me a gap year or two. Any answers or general advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for help

Stats: 3.5 cGpa, "B" in the 3 science classes I've taken.

Members don't see this ad.

True, formal post-bacc programs, like offered at Bryn Mawr, are generally for career-changers with essentially no pre-reqs completed. And they are looking for people with real life experience. The quintessential post bacc is an English or History or Art major who did Peace Corps, Teach for America, was a rabbi, police officer etc. That is why they will not accept applications from someone still in school.

You will especially need to get your sGPA up, so a DIY unstructured post-bacc with some upper level bio courses added on will make sense. There is no rush. Before you commit to the time and expense of taking post-bacc courses at a good university, you should get more experience in the world of medicine this summer and next year to be sure this is what you want in life. (Though you also need to prioritize bringing up your cGPA a bit over the next 3 semesters) Also read the stories of successful applicants on this site to see the number of hours of clinical shadowing, clinical exposure, non-clinical volunteering, research, etc that are associated with successful applications. If possible, you do want to weave a narrative in your application and in your interviews that interconnects a number of your passions, employment, activities, etc.

You will also need to think about how you will pay the bills while you take your post-bacc coursework. Ideally, you get paid work as a Scribe, research assistant, EMT/medical aide, etc - depending on your interests. You might consider getting your EMT certification this summer if that works with your other plans; this would allow you to apply to work in an ED as a technician/medical assistant. ED tech is good work in that it pays relatively well, and you can often work flexible 8/10/12 hour shifts on evenings/nights/weekends around your other coursework over the next several years. You are, at the soonest, a 2021-2022 applicant. Likely, you will still be younger than 25yo when you start medical school, and my advice is not to rush in order to put forth the highest quality application when you are ready to do so.

True, formal post-bacc programs, like offered at Bryn Mawr, are generally for career-changers with essentially no pre-reqs completed. And they are looking for people with real life experience. The quintessential post bacc is an English or History or Art major who did Peace Corps, Teach for America, was a rabbi, police officer etc. That is why they will not accept applications from someone still in school.

You will especially need to get your sGPA up, so a DIY unstructured post-bacc with some upper level bio courses added on will make sense. There is no rush. Before you commit to the time and expense of taking post-bacc courses at a good university, you should get more experience in the world of medicine this summer and next year to be sure this is what you want in life. (Though you also need to prioritize bringing up your cGPA a bit over the next 3 semesters) Also read the stories of successful applicants on this site to see the number of hours of clinical shadowing, clinical exposure, non-clinical volunteering, research, etc that are associated with successful applications. If possible, you do want to weave a narrative in your application and in your interviews that interconnects a number of your passions, employment, activities, etc.

You will also need to think about how you will pay the bills while you take your post-bacc coursework. Ideally, you get paid work as a Scribe, research assistant, EMT/medical aide, etc - depending on your interests. You might consider getting your EMT certification this summer if that works with your other plans; this would allow you to apply to work in an ED as a technician/medical assistant. ED tech is good work in that it pays relatively well, and you can often work flexible 8/10/12 hour shifts on evenings/nights/weekends around your other coursework over the next several years. You are, at the soonest, a 2021-2022 applicant. Likely, you will still be younger than 25yo when you start medical school, and my advice is not to rush in order to put forth the highest quality application when you are ready to do so.

Thank you very much for the thorough reply. I think you bring up several valid points. Trying to rush this process would cause more harm than not. I will definitely look into exposing myself to medical settings this summer to see if this is actually something I want to commit to. I greatly appreciate your feedback!