Army Advice needed on BOLC scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishdoctor0225

Reaction score
I have completed all the HPSP paperwork except the contract that will allow the Army to own me for the next 12 years. Unfortunately, the DCC for summer 2020 has filled up, so I cannot attend DCC before medical school starts in August. Thus, I plan to complete it the summer between M1 and M2. Also unfortunately, this is the only "summer break" that I will have throughout medical school, as the summer between M2 and M3 is clinical rotation time (at least at my school). Thus, I need to figure out how to schedule BOLC in a way that will not interfere with board studies, audition rotations, or residency.

One option is to schedule BOLC right after I graduate medical school, before residency starts. The only issue with this is that my medical school typically ends the first week of May, while most military residencies require you to report for duty beginning of June to mid-June. This doesn't really leave enough time to complete BOLC, even if a BOLC slot miraculously appeared during that narrow window.

Another option would schedule during my free time during M4, but I feel as this would severely interfere with my audition rotations at army medical centers.

Option 3 would be to schedule BOLC during my Step 2 study time, and somehow try to manage BOLC and step studying simultaneously - which could be disastrous for obvious reasons.

I guess this is my first experience of the Army's rumored inflexibility, but I am still determined to move forward with HPSP and serve. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and please feel free to correct any of my ignorance since I am just a lowly pre-M1.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t worry about it right now. Not sure if they are going to even hold BOLC this summer. Worst case scenario is that you go after residency is completed. Not the ideal way to do it but had one person I know compete residency and then go to BOLC

Reactions: 1 user