Advice? Not eligible for either 'Career Changer' or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tokyo Tower

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I've been reading these forums for a while, but it's my first time posting. I wanted advice as to whether I should apply for post-bacc programs, an SMP, a masters in a health/biosciences field, or pre-med classes at top university. (Does this perhaps belong in the "What Are My Chances?" forum?)

My stats:

Graduated: Top 40 university in New York, BA in Philosophy (2010-2012)
Overall GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: N/A

Private religious college in the Midwest (2008-2010)
Overall GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.03

At my first university, I took five pre-med reqs: Cell bio B+ (fall 2008), Animal Bio A- (spring 2009), Statistics B+ (spring 2009), Genetics B- (fall 2009), Physics I C+ (fall 2009).
At a state school in my home state of Colorado, during the summer 2009: Gen Chem I B, Gen Chem II A.

Background:

My science GPA took a pretty big hit in fall 2009, but for personal reasons that made me to be good transfer candidate.

I transferred to a top 40 university in fall 2010 to study philosophy. I planned to attend philosophy graduate school. My most recent science course was taken in fall 2009. I did no pre-med courses from 2010-2012.

Georgetown told me that I was not eligible for their 'career-changer' post-bacc, and Johns Hopkins told me I was not eligible for either their career-changer post-bacc or their SMP. Both Georgetown and JHU had a problem with the amount of pre-med courses I have already taken.

Also, I got rejected by Goucher and Scripps. (I sent in my applications toward the very end of their rolling deadlines.)

I'm also interested in biotech and biomed, especially for psychiatry and neurology.

I'm debating between:

(1) trying again for a career-changer program,

(2) applying for an SMP,


(3) doing some other science masters, or

(4) doing/re-doing some med pre-reqs at a university better than my alma mater.

I initially thought to do a career-changer postbacc because it's been 5 years since I did a pre-med class.
If I had only done Philosophy, perhaps I would have a shot at a program like Goucher's?
My science GPA seems low enough to merit an SMP, but I don't have some of the science classes required for an SMP. Perhaps I should shoot for Harvard Extension School?

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it a lot! Thanks in advance.
 
Think about why you aren't being accepted to the programs you went after and adapt to that information. You claim to have read a lot in these forums but this is not evident.

You are half done with the prereqs so you don't fit any formal program. So give up on formal. Masters programs don't have the prereqs. SMPs are off the table until you're done with the prereqs, and your cumulative GPA is WAY TOO HIGH for an academic enhancer (SMP).

By finishing the prereqs and taking some more hard science, probably about one full time year, you can fix your science GPA. And then you can take the MCAT and apply to med school.

So look for any decent school (Harvard X is fine) that will let you take a bunch of undergrad science.

Best of luck to you.
 
DrMidlife,

That's a very good point about doing a non-formal program.

I'm a little mixed up, it's true. I had been considering formal programs because Goucher said I was eligible for their program (since enough time had elapsed). And just an hour ago I got an email from UPenn asking to set up an interview (I applied early for Pre-Health Core Studies, their formal career changer postbacc).

Suppose I got into UPenn's formal program. Would you recommend that overall vs. just doing science courses at e.g. Harvard X? This is the kind of decision that's perplexing me.

Thanks again for your input!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't translate your biology courses, but I presume you took the first year.

You need physics II, Organic 1/2 and biochem. Maybe you can justify a retake of physics 1, you'll likely need a few more courses to fill out a year and bring your science GPA up.

You should go wherever you're most likely to get As, can get into the courses you need, be the happiest, and spend the least amount of money. You might look into taking a course or two over the summer somewhere to get acclimated before you slam yourself with 15+ credits of hard science classes after being out of school for 5 years, it will help your science GPA, and perhaps make your schedule easier. Get all As and your GPA will be ~ 3.8/3.5 with a good trend, rock your MCAT, shadow, and go forth.

If you're really concerned with linkage look into temple's ACMS for your gap year.
 
Sorry to bump this thread after a while away; I was figuring out some more things and talking with Harvard Extension.

You recommended taking more hard science classes to improve my sGPA. And I've seen other threads where people were advised to not retake classes. (I know the new grade is simply included along with the previous grade.)

However, retaking Biology and/or Gen. Chemistry would give me a stronger foundation for my other classes and for the MCAT; but would retaking old classes (rather than new hard science classes) look bad to medical schools?

Or, put it this way: would the benefit of jumping into new hard science classes (and not retaking old classes) be worth the risk of a weaker MCAT?

Thanks again for your help; it's much appreciated.
 
I don't understand why you think you must retake classes for a grade for you to get a foundation for MCAT or upper level classes. Its definitely possible to do it on your own.
 
Decent reasons to retake a class:
1. It's a prereq and you got less than a B
2. It's a prereq and you took it more than a few years ago and you seriously don't remember a thing.
3. You got a D or F, it's a non-trivial class like math or humanities, and you can add it to your schedule without too much trouble

Meanwhile, don't confuse yourself about what a retake does to your GPA. For DO schools a retake removes badness. For MD schools it's like you took a new class. Both have a positive impact on GPA assuming you get an A.

By the way: always get an A on a retake or don't bother.

(I didn't retake physics even though mine was 20 years old, because I could still rock F=ma. But I retook genchem because I couldn't even read the periodic table anymore.)

Best of luck to you.
 
My apologies to come back here late again, but I wanted to thanks you guys for your advice. DrMidlife, the way you laid it out is especially helpful.

I plan to retake Chemistry: not a bad grade but poorly rushed through during the summer at a local school about five years ago (#2).

And I plan to retake Physics because I only took the first semester five years ago and earned less than a B (#1 and #2).

Physics and Chem are generally my weaker points anyway. But I certainly won't redo Bio, my strong point.

Thanks again.