Advice on applying with a DUI-like Misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berkaderk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was hoping I could get advice on this upcoming application cycle. I am one year out of college and applying with a "Driving over the Legal Limit" on my record. I got this three years ago, when I was a minor, and considering the legal limit is 0 as a minor, I was convicted of this. I was specifically not charged or convicted of a DUI.

Obviously, this is not good. I truly believe this incident changed me for the better and I own my mistake. I've gone to regular AA meetings and got involved with alcohol safety organizations at my school. Compared to a DUI, how will this affect me?

My other stats - 3.3 GPA , 521 MCAT, 200+ hours clinical experience, 120+ community service hours, 2000+ hours basic science research with a paper in the works.

My GPA isn't great. Having two marks on my application like this sucks, but I want to know if my chances to get into an MD program will be shot completely from the combo of the two. Thanks for any help

- very stressed person

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I was hoping I could get advice on this upcoming application cycle. I am one year out of college and applying with a "Driving over the Legal Limit" on my record. I got this three years ago, when I was a minor, and considering the legal limit is 0 as a minor, I was convicted of this. I was specifically not charged or convicted of a DUI.

Obviously, this is not good. I truly believe this incident changed me for the better and I own my mistake. I've gone to regular AA meetings and got involved with alcohol safety organizations at my school. Compared to a DUI, how will this affect me?

My other stats - 3.3 GPA , 521 MCAT, 200+ hours clinical experience, 120+ community service hours, 2000+ hours basic science research with a paper in the works.

My GPA isn't great. Having two marks on my application like this sucks, but I want to know if my chances to get into an MD program will be shot completely from the combo of the two. Thanks for any help

- very stressed person
The interaction won;'t keep you out of med school; the GPA will keep you out of MD schools though, unless you have a steep rising GPA trend. You're fine for DO

Reactions: 1 user
My GPA in my final two years was 3.5, probably not sharp enough of a rising trend though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't you get the incident expunged since you were a minor?

I am trying but I'm eligible in September. The incident was a little over 3 years ago

Maybe you can take some advanced upper level Bio courses this upcoming year to show medical schools that you can handle the work. And it will be a great base from which to build when you do start medical school. Then apply the following cycle. Meanwhile, your incident will be expunged by then. Bc if you are ORM, your GPA is going to hurt you when you apply. Especially with the strong MCAT - may make adcoms worry that you are a bit of an underachiever! Very bright people who do not always apply themselves describes many practicing doctors, but it is not necessarily what adcoms are looking for.

Reactions: 1 users
I've already taken a gap year and I would really like to apply this cycle...do you really think I should wait another cycle?

I'm enrolled in some upper level courses now but I won't have grades until the end of the summer

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop calling it “dui like”

If you applied through me and tried to minimize it like that I would be very negative in my review

A DIY postbacc with 3.7+ could really help you if you really, really want that MD. It would also allow you the time to get that charge expunged, which is all to the good for you. Good luck.