PhD/PsyD Advice on entering the PsyD field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

songlih

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I'm only a 2nd year undergraduate at UCLA. I know I want to work in psychology once I completely finish school and because I'm most interested in mental illness I had originally aimed to go to med school and become a psychiatrist. After taking more than a year of completely science-based classes (was a Psychobiology major but recently switched to Psych) and forcing myself to join pre-med clubs and organizations that don't really do what I'm particularly interested in just because I heard med schools like these organizations, I realized that maybe the pre-med path wasn't right for me. At the same time, I knew I didn't want to go the PhD route because I am still passionate about treatment and not purely research. After doing some searching online, I found out about the PsyD option for graduate school. I really don't know anything about this path because it seems the only doctoral options that are "credible" to the people in my school are MD and PhD programs so it's really hard to find information and guidance. Since I was so narrow-mindedly focused on med school, the only thing I know about PsyD programs is that they tend to require a high GPA and that you have to take the GRE.

Because I am only a 2nd year, I feel I still have a good shot in developing a good resume to get into a competitive program. I heard Rutgers is top so I really want to aim for that school for now (I have appropriate, personal reasons for my ambitions but if I'm setting myself up too high then of course I will keep an open mind). Is there anyone here who can give me advice on what types of activities outside of academics Rutgers (or any competitive PsyD programs) is looking for? I don't know if I should focus on getting research positions or volunteer positions (and what kinds of volunteer positions) or both. Right now, the only things I have on my belt are volunteering at the hospital and some pre-health school organizations but I don't think they will help since those extracurriculars don't have anything specifically related to clinical psych and I only did those since all the other pre-med students were doing them. I'm also wondering if it's realistic to aim for getting in straight after undergrad with only a Bachelor's. Please, any help is appreciated since I really don't know anything for PsyD schools. Actually, any recommendations regarding well-reputed PsyD programs within the US is highly appreciated!

Also, if anyone who has completed their PsyD program can let me know how they are coping with debt and the infamous income disparity among psychologists, that would also be really helpful! The only thing that is making me very very anxious about having changed my graduate plans is all the stories I've heard about particularly PsyD students graduating with debt and accumulating high interests that their starting salaries can't pay off. Money is a decently big issues for me as I am, even in undergrad, attending university with high financial aid.

If it helps, my GPA right now is 3.91 but I know it will drop after the grades from this quarter are completed since I am expecting a flat B in one of my science classes which will really kill my GPA. Now that I've changed my major and can start taking courses I'm actually interested in, I am expecting my GPA to rise again after a few quarters. I have no idea about the GRE and when I should start preparing for it.

Members don't see this ad.

...I knew I didn't want to go the PhD route because I am still passionate about treatment and not purely research.
This is a HUGE misperception. Most Ph.D. Level Cinical Psychologists do applied work with a primary emphasis on treatment. Doctoral training will include learning about and conducting scientific research, and this will be the same at reputable Psy.D. programs (such as Rutgers). One big difference is that you're more likely to receive funding (e.g., tuition waivers; stipends) in a clinical Ph.D. program. By limiting your search to Psy.D. programs, you'd be taking the majority of high quality training programs off the table. This would go counter to your desire to do treatment. Keep up the GPA, get some clinical and research experience, and do well on the GREs, and spend some more time investigating the different graduate training models.

Reactions: 4 users
PsyD programs are expensive and many are of questionable quality. Get research under your belt, UCLA has some excellent opportunities in that area especially if you have any interest in neuroscience at all. I didn't really know that I had that interest until I started to see the connections being made between neuroscience and psychotherapy which wasn't until my doctoral program. Some of the work by Alan Schore who was at UCLA at that time was key to my own professional development and how I conceptualize pathology and treatment.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto to the above reply from ClinicalABA. The majority of people who graduated from my funded PhD program are doing at LEAST 50% clinical work, and many are doing 100% clinical work. If you go into a decent PhD program you'll have just as many clinical hours as PsyD students by the time you apply to internship... you'll just ALSO have done a decent amount of research (it's nice when you're in a program where you're able to collect data for your research as part of your clinical work). Keep an open mind. You're much less likely to graduate with substantial debt in a PhD program (because more of them offer funding) but equally able to do clinical work (even clinical work ONLY) if that's what you decide to do when you graduate. You're right in that you have time to build yourself up to be competitive - do that so you can get into a decent, funded program (whether that's PhD or PsyD) if you still want to do this a few years from now.

I would strongly recommend picking up a copy of the Insider's Guide to Graduate Training in Clinical and Counseling Psychology (Amazon product). This book provides some information on the differences between the various degree options. It also ranks each program on a 1-7 Likert scale, with 1 being completely practice-oriented and 7 being completely research-oriented. If you want to practice without being overwhelmed by student loan debt, I would recommend looking somewhere in the middle of that range at scientist-practitioner programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Just in case no one has made this point to you yet: don't get too hung up on prestige when picking a school. PhD/PsyD programs are a little different from med school in that rankings aren't all that helpful. Goodness of fit is what matters most, particularly if you aren't planning on a career in academia. The rankings aren't even that reliable.

Make sure you get funding, of course.

You've gotten some great advice in this thread! I can't emphasize enough the fact that a PhD can also prepare you well for a career as a researcher, clinician, or both. That's not to rule out the good PsyD programs - just know that you have many more options. I have a PhD from a very research-focused program, and today I still spend at least half my time in the clinic. At UCLA you happen to be at a powerhouse of psychology research with very well-connected faculty. If you get into one of their labs and shine as an undergraduate, you will be ahead of the pack already!

I assume you have at least some interest in research (if not, then the field of psychology is not a good fit for you and a PsyD won't change that).

Reactions: 5 users
First of all, I'm only a 2nd year undergraduate at UCLA. I know I want to work in psychology once I completely finish school and because I'm most interested in mental illness I had originally aimed to go to med school and become a psychiatrist. After taking more than a year of completely science-based classes (was a Psychobiology major but recently switched to Psych) and forcing myself to join pre-med clubs and organizations that don't really do what I'm particularly interested in just because I heard med schools like these organizations, I realized that maybe the pre-med path wasn't right for me. At the same time, I knew I didn't want to go the PhD route because I am still passionate about treatment and not purely research. After doing some searching online, I found out about the PsyD option for graduate school. I really don't know anything about this path because it seems the only doctoral options that are "credible" to the people in my school are MD and PhD programs so it's really hard to find information and guidance. Since I was so narrow-mindedly focused on med school, the only thing I know about PsyD programs is that they tend to require a high GPA and that you have to take the GRE.

Because I am only a 2nd year, I feel I still have a good shot in developing a good resume to get into a competitive program. I heard Rutgers is top so I really want to aim for that school for now (I have appropriate, personal reasons for my ambitions but if I'm setting myself up too high then of course I will keep an open mind). Is there anyone here who can give me advice on what types of activities outside of academics Rutgers (or any competitive PsyD programs) is looking for? I don't know if I should focus on getting research positions or volunteer positions (and what kinds of volunteer positions) or both. Right now, the only things I have on my belt are volunteering at the hospital and some pre-health school organizations but I don't think they will help since those extracurriculars don't have anything specifically related to clinical psych and I only did those since all the other pre-med students were doing them. I'm also wondering if it's realistic to aim for getting in straight after undergrad with only a Bachelor's. Please, any help is appreciated since I really don't know anything for PsyD schools. Actually, any recommendations regarding well-reputed PsyD programs within the US is highly appreciated!

Also, if anyone who has completed their PsyD program can let me know how they are coping with debt and the infamous income disparity among psychologists, that would also be really helpful! The only thing that is making me very very anxious about having changed my graduate plans is all the stories I've heard about particularly PsyD students graduating with debt and accumulating high interests that their starting salaries can't pay off. Money is a decently big issues for me as I am, even in undergrad, attending university with high financial aid.

If it helps, my GPA right now is 3.91 but I know it will drop after the grades from this quarter are completed since I am expecting a flat B in one of my science classes which will really kill my GPA. Now that I've changed my major and can start taking courses I'm actually interested in, I am expecting my GPA to rise again after a few quarters. I have no idea about the GRE and when I should start preparing for it.

I have a PhD in clinical psychology from a major university. I have always been (and continue to be) 'passionate about treatment and not purely research' (as you say). I work full-time providing outpatient treatment in an applied setting (VA post-deployment clinic). I would consider myself representative (by and large) of the 'average' graduate from a clinical psychology PhD program. It is a major misconception that a) PsyD programs offer more/better training in clinical skills--I would say it's the opposite; and b) that the 'average' PhD graduate in clinical psychology does primarily research/academic work.

I agree with what everyone else has said.

I am in a reputable psyD program (100% match rate, 95% licensure), and I spend a good deal of my time doing research as I am a RA. However, I will say that this isn't necessarily the norm. I think about half of our cohort has an RA position while the rest doesn't- though you'll still need a decent background doing research to be considered for an interview.

My adviser graduated from RU and several people in my cohort interviewed there. You will definitely not get an interview without publications and a few semesters of research. To give you a perspective, those in my cohort who interviewed at RU had several years of research experience at Harvard and Yale working with well known academics. Basically, even if you dont want to do research as a career, it's still needed in order to be accepted and to succeed at a reputable program.

My program will not leave me with much debt and definitely not enough to be concerned about. Assuming my starting salary is above 60k, I should be able to pay it back after 2 or 3 years. I accrued much more debt with my undergrad and MA degrees.

Thank you to everyone who replied. Every reply helped clear a lot of my misconceptions and as everyone suggested, I will keep an open mind about PhD programs and do further research into which types of schools will fit my and my career paths the most. Since I am still interested in research, I will definitely try my best to get as much personally meaningful research during my undergraduate years as possible so that I can have open choices when it's time for me to apply to grad school.

Just to offer a counterpoint, one of the things PsyD programs (in general) do better than PhD programs (in general) is to offer academic and clinical opportunities to explore diverse theoretical orientations. Many PhD programs have a strong CBT focus and can be dismissive of other approaches, especially the research powerhouses.

As training faculty at an internship site, I have noticed that not all clinical hours are equal. Some trainees come to internship having done little apart from manualized treatments. This doesn't have to be a barrier to their development as solid clinicians; internship is usually a rich training experience and can help people make up a lot of ground quickly. But some trainees do end up feeling disappointed with their clinical training in grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to offer a counterpoint, one of the things PsyD programs (in general) do better than PhD programs (in general) is to offer academic and clinical opportunities to explore diverse theoretical orientations. Many PhD programs have a strong CBT focus and can be dismissive of other approaches, especially the research powerhouses.

As training faculty at an internship site, I have noticed that not all clinical hours are equal. Some trainees come to internship having done little apart from manualized treatments. This doesn't have to be a barrier to their development as solid clinicians; internship is usually a rich training experience and can help people make up a lot of ground quickly. But some trainees do end up feeling disappointed with their clinical training in grad school.
As someone who attended an expensive university PsyD program with excellent clinical training opportunities, I agree that this was the case for me and many in my cohort. I still question if this edge was worth the amount of debt I currently have. Hard to say, I still feel like a novice much of the time as a clinician as I am confronted daily with the complexity of the intersection between the social, behavioral, and biological in which I not only need to make sense of it, but then try to effect positive change. I wonder what would it have been like to have spent more energy developing more research expertise.

I don't know, I have direct experience with training/teaching in three university based PhD programs, one is a R1 research powerhouse, and all three of those trained in both CBT and psychodynamic. It may be regional, but I have not seen the theoretical orientation split in action. Maybe for analytic work, or some humanistic, but I wouldn't say in general that PhD programs eschew dynamic training. I'd be curious to see the actual data on this. Anyone want to scour the insider's guide and make a spreadsheet :)

I don't know, I have direct experience with training/teaching in three university based PhD programs, one is a R1 research powerhouse, and all three of those trained in both CBT and psychodynamic. It may be regional, but I have not seen the theoretical orientation split in action. Maybe for analytic work, or some humanistic, but I wouldn't say in general that PhD programs eschew dynamic training. I'd be curious to see the actual data on this. Anyone want to scour the insider's guide and make a spreadsheet :)
At my own PsyD program, the ratio of CBT to Psychodynamic orientation for the three cohorts I was familiar with was about 4 to 1. For clinical comps it broke down to about 10 to 1 because of the belief that CBT was easier in some ways. Then we had a couple of oddball humanistic and family systems folks. Maybe it would be nicer to call them outliers as they were mostly normal. ;)

We had required training in CBT and psychodynamic, and you could opt to get family systems if you wanted to. I was curious so I checked the local two university PhDs in my current area, both have clearly stated dynamic offerings as well.

My experience was similar to WisNeuro's. I attended a clinical psych PhD program and we knew our psychodynamic orientation training upfront but were advised to understand and incorporate CBT orientations/skills into our overall training experience (which is also advice to the OP to start looking into the theoretical orientations of various programs to see which align best with your existing worldview).‎ Few from my program, but several each year plan (or have actually gone further) into analytic training. Most graduates are purely clinical, some are academic faculty/clinical, and some are research faculty/clinical. I only know of very few who became straight research without a supplemental clinical practice.

Last edited:

With any program, it's important to ask about the range of clinical placements and supervisors that are available. My research-heavy program nevertheless afforded interested students the opportunity to work with supervisors from psychodynamic, family systems, existential, psychoanalytic, and interpersonal orientations. Come to think of it, none of my external practicum supervisors were really all that CBT-oriented. My "hard core" CBT training took place in-house, but since the core faculty did very little supervision, it's fair to say that most of my clinical training was other than CBT until I got to internship.

Point is, it's risky to generalize about PsyD versus PhD programs -- the best you can do is learn about the specific training environment at each.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting. In my area, I would say more than half of the trainees I've supervised have had no psychodynamic training. None.

Of course generalizing is never a good idea. But I do think my comments reflect a real phenomenon. Keep in mind that the 5 regular posters on SND are a pretty small sample, and also keep in mind that the majority of psychologists never train in a VA.

Interesting. In my area, I would say more than half of the trainees I've supervised have had no psychodynamic training. None.

Geographical location is a huge factor here, too. If you don't mind me asking, @Peacemaker36, what general geographical area did you train?

I'm in the NYC/NJ area (throughout all my training), and psychodynamics is alive and kicking here (and in CA). Psychotherapy research (based from psychodynamic theories/principles) is producing empirically-based outcomes with statistically significant findings, which keeps it alive and kicking.

Last edited:
I'm in the NYC/NJ area (throughout all my training), and psychodynamics is alive and kicking here (and in CA). Psychotherapy research (based from psychodynamic theories/principles) is producing empirically-based outcomes with statistically significant findings, which keeps it alive and kicking.

It is also alive and kicking in parts of the Midwest, South, and PNW.

I'm in the northeast. I would say psychodynamic theory is definitely a major force here, but many of the trainees we get typically have little or no background in it. They often look at me cross-eyed when I talk about countertransference. Maybe this is a reflection of who my site attracts, or who we rank.

It's reassuring to me to hear that so many of you are getting trainees with exposure to psychodynamic ideas.

I am located in the South in a city with a strong psychodynamic influence and it is reflected in the clinical psych PhD program here as well. They get very little exposure to CBT or other theoretical orientations. When we have practicum students at my site (particular first years) they have little experience with CBT or other evidenced based interventions which is difficult given the populations that we serve. I personally have a PsyD and I want to echo what @Peacemaker36 and @smalltownpsych said about the exposure piece. In my training program it was required to take entry level courses for a variety of theoretical orientations and then you could get advanced training based on your interest. Additionally, we had dozens of training sites we could choose from that ranged from general (CMHCish) to more specific (e.g. prac site focusing on assessment and treatment of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders) based on your clinical interests. I thought this was the norm, but the university in my current city has 3-4 sites for the students to choose from (including their counseling clinic). While I do have debt (and I sometimes ask the same question @smalltownpsych asks regarding it), I am extremely appreciative of both the breadth and specificity that was afforded me in my program.

I'll also add that I read an article a few months ago that stated that most psychologists are identifying as integrated or CBT when asked about their theoretical orientation and noted that there was a reduction in people identifying solely as psychodynamic.

Last edited:
I agree with what everyone else has said.

I am in a reputable psyD program (100% match rate, 95% licensure), and I spend a good deal of my time doing research as I am a RA. However, I will say that this isn't necessarily the norm. I think about half of our cohort has an RA position while the rest doesn't- though you'll still need a decent background doing research to be considered for an interview.

My adviser graduated from RU and several people in my cohort interviewed there. You will definitely not get an interview without publications and a few semesters of research. To give you a perspective, those in my cohort who interviewed at RU had several years of research experience at Harvard and Yale working with well known academics. Basically, even if you dont want to do research as a career, it's still needed in order to be accepted and to succeed at a reputable program.

My program will not leave me with much debt and definitely not enough to be concerned about. Assuming my starting salary is above 60k, I should be able to pay it back after 2 or 3 years. I accrued much more debt with my undergrad and MA degrees.

Last edited:
I think this thread is indicating that a psychologist should be familiar with both CBT and psychodynamic concepts and don't neglect the Behavioral part of CBT as some seem to. I have always thought that you if you ignore or discount one or the other, then you will limit your effectiveness. For example, lately, I have been dealing with several kids who "won" the Oedipal conflict. Seeing how this dynamic play out helps to guide effective behavioral interventions. You could call it something else besides Oedipal if you're uncomfortable with the historical sexual association, but I got over that along time ago and instead focus on attachment and neurodevelopment.

Of course generalizing is never a good idea. But I do think my comments reflect a real phenomenon. Keep in mind that the 5 regular posters on SND are a pretty small sample, and also keep in mind that the majority of psychologists never train in a VA.

I have to disagree as well. As an internship training director, I've evaluated/trained many students and I've found that the PhD students tend to have broader exposure to various theoretical orientations and a better understanding of evidenced based treatment. This also seems to be program based as there are PsyD students who do well in this area and some students from PhD programs who are weaker.

Hi there songlih - I am currently a first year Psy.D. student at a non-profit university. With that being said, it seems like there are several variables that you are trying to work out here, so I will try my best to deconstruct your questions and provide personal feedback/advice/opinions on the topics at hand.

First, I want to address what one needs to gain admissions into a Psy.D. program from my personal experience and from the advice I received from my mentors whom are Ph.D. psychologists. I'm sure you know about the GRE; you will want to do well on it as it is a prominent factor for most admissions committees when trying to screen out applicants. There is a caveat to this; you could take on a reputable master's degree, do well and even get on some abstracts (posters) or manuscripts or try your hand at being an ad-hoc peer reviewer with your mentor in this hypothetical master's program. This could potentially be used to offset a low GRE score or low undergraduate GPA. This was something that I did due to my low GRE score. I earned a master's degree in cognitive neuroscience, took on research at a neighboring medical school, presented abstracts and got on some papers and was also a peer-reviewer for several journals in neuropsychology and neurology with my mentor. Committees also look at practical applications of intelligence, something that's not always articulated in a standardized test score (i.e., being that unfortunate outlier the admissions committee struggles in describing your potential in the program and as a future psychologist). Also, it's been in my experience that Psy.D. programs (at least the ones I applied to) collectively have lower GRE score amongst the matriculating cohort compared to Ph.D. programs. Again, there are always exceptions to this (the wonderful world of psychology - we will kind of agree with most things, most of the time).

Aside from the GRE and completing a master's to supplement a low GRE or undergraduate GPA, you should be a well rounded individual in terms of a ratio between research and clinical exposure. What I mean is, building yourself up to just go into a Psy.D. program isn't a bad thing, I nor anybody else should judge you for that, however, in becoming a competent clinician, you will want to develop the necessary skills in evaluating complex arguments, data and theory from notable articles so that you may apply them in your practice as a psychologist. Often times, doing "it" (i.e., producing research) provides that insight you need as a clinician, so in other words, doing simple retrospective analyses or meta-reviews is a good way in developing a solid foundation in the critical thinking skills a psychologist needs to navigate the ambiguous world and the clients we treat. Another way to look at this is, find an opportunity for which you can be engaged in both the clinical side and research side of the picture such as being a psychometrist. I provide this example as this was something I did for a while; it allowed me to develop an initial foundation in neuropsychological assessment, scoring and even minor report writing which complemented my data gathering for research I was conducting at the medical school. After gathering the data, you report the hypothesis, the methods, results, etc. so that it becomes a simple poster abstract.

I have several colleagues in my program who are there to just practice and have no desire to conduct research. They want to take the required courses, take the qualifying exams, complete the dissertation, complete the internship then post-doc then get licensed. There is nothing wrong with this approach as my husband is a Pharm.D. student and a family member of mine is a medical student; this is exactly what they do. Not withstanding that, they also don't have the time to do research. Either way, I believe if you can come out of the program being a competent clinician, that is what matters the most. If you have additional goals of being a professor or working for specific organizations for which a strong research background is needed, I would suggest supplementing your Psy.D. education to include significant research and peer-reviewing experience or you could apply to a Ph.D. program.

Second, I want to address the financial issue that surrounds most Psy.D. threads from my point of view. You will accrue anywhere from $150-200K in debt in most programs. My program costs less than most ($750 a credit hour compared to $900+ a credit hour). I think at the heart of most Psy.D. vs. Ph.D. debates is this particular topic, and it's for good reason. You should not be naive in what you are about to get yourself into. The decision should be based on your goals, current/future dispositions and genuine passion for the profession of applied psychology. I am sure you have heard people dissuade others by saying they should go into a social work program or a master's program in counseling. Sure, you could, but you should weigh the reasons why being a psychologist matters to you the most vs. those other fields. Also, the idea that one should simply apply to medical school if one is to accrue the same debt is a bust of an argument in my opinion, because hey, applying to and getting into medical is so much easier! Again, I think if you have the passion for the medical model and how psychiatry approaches mental health, then by all means endure the additional years you may or may not need to take on to complete the necessary pre-med courses and substantial time in taking the MCAT. My husband took the MCAT and the PCAT, he got into both a Pharm.D. and a D.O. program. He opted for the Pharm.D. route because of many factors but also due to the genuine love of pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, etc. that medical students don't get exposed to. Again, he opted for the pharmacist route for a variety of reasons, not just based on the years needed to complete the degree, and not just the debt he would accrue.

It works both ways, you could end up spending 3-4 years post-bachelor's to gain the necessary coursework and to have a couple of opportunities in taking the MCAT to apply, then hopefully get into medical school only to find out, you don't like it. My husband did this and he felt disappointed. I had a colleague that I researched with who initially went to UTSW for the medical program, dropped out after her second year to go into the Ph.D. clinical psychology program (which is not fully funded FYI) because there was a better fit (in many definitions of that word). So, to tie this all together, the finances are important; you should know what you are getting yourself into, have a good plan of how you are going to pay loan companies back, have an idea of where/what you want to practice (e.g., geography, speciality), and if you are married or in a relationship, how that will impact you and your significant other. I am fortunate that both my husband and I live comfortably, even while attending school, and we plan to continue this. We also don't want children in the immediate future, so that also helps in terms of expenses we may or may not have run into.

Lastly, I want to address where you are at now (academically) and the pathway in front of you. First, you should probably gain more exposure to the field of psychology. Since you are in your second year (with a very good GPA), if I were you, I would be looking at opportunities to research, to get on posters but to also take substantial coursework in psychology and biological psychology. I might be biased after completing a master's in cognitive neuroscience, but we as (future) psychologists should really strive to understand behavior from a biological perspective as much as we do from a theoretical perspective. Note, I am not stating you should take a reductionist point of view in human behavior, but I think having that component in there will provide a better holistic picture of the potential clients you may serve one day. Aside from this, I would suggest just being open to all sorts of research and even "clinical" experiences you might have during your undergraduate career. You may like one thing at first but realize it is not your cup of tea months later. I was a professional classical musician for a long time before I switched over to the behavioral sciences and it took a good deal of adjusting, and I am still constantly adapting to my surroundings, tastes, etc.

On a personal note, I just completed my first semester of the Psy.D. program with straight A's, and I am loving it. I believe my education and foundation I developed in my master's program prepared me for the rigor of my program. I just sent out several abstracts for the upcoming APA conference, also, I am an officer in the neuropsychology club at my university and I've been recently asked to be a guest lecturer in my Psy.D. program for a course in our curriculum. I am sure things will change over time, but at the moment, I can only report positive experiences, minus some of the quirky things about a couple of the professors we have!

I hope my opinion provides some insight into your questions. If you have any more questions, feel free to message me on here.

All the best.

Last edited:
I'm in the northeast. I would say psychodynamic theory is definitely a major force here, but many of the trainees we get typically have little or no background in it. They often look at me cross-eyed when I talk about countertransference. Maybe this is a reflection of who my site attracts, or who we rank.

It's reassuring to me to hear that so many of you are getting trainees with exposure to psychodynamic ideas.

My PsyD program offers Theories courses that contain pretty in depth information on psychodynamics, and the Interventions courses do as well. They also have an elective in object relations. My mentor is a huge fan of Nancy McWilliams. So psychodynamics is alive and well, and we are all obsessed with countertransference :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Relevant to the training discussion my West coast PhD program recently decided to drop formal psychodynamic training in favor of formal training in DBT, this is in addition to existing training in CBT and family systems. The rationale was that almost all of the faculty with strong psychodynamic backgrounds have retired and feedback from what local practicum sites. I am bit disappointed as I was looking forward to psychodynamic training just for better familiarity with some of the concepts taken from it, but I have opportunities to get that some of that training through practicum and/or internship if I really want.

You've gotten some great advice in this thread! I can't emphasize enough the fact that a PhD can also prepare you well for a career as a researcher, clinician, or both. That's not to rule out the good PsyD programs - just know that you have many more options. I have a PhD from a very research-focused program, and today I still spend at least half my time in the clinic. At UCLA you happen to be at a powerhouse of psychology research with very well-connected faculty. If you get into one of their labs and shine as an undergraduate, you will be ahead of the pack already!

I assume you have at least some interest in research (if not, then the field of psychology is not a good fit for you and a PsyD won't change that).

I suggest that you stay at UCLA and consider an internship at one of their many programs including the Semel Institute.

When CBT and psychodynamics are packaged in a similar way and the sample is similarly constrained (read as: time limited manualized with uni-dimensional diagnosis) they both fare about as well in most diagnoses. However, when you deal with real world patients, all cereal box solutions are inconsistent, including meds. Empathy and meeting the patient where he/she is at is always key. Pick based on what you enjoy. Over the longterm we all end up doing the same thing anyway... lol

When CBT and psychodynamics are packaged in a similar way and the sample is similarly constrained (read as: time limited manualized with uni-dimensional diagnosis) they both fare about as well in most diagnoses. However, when you deal with real world patients, all cereal box solutions are inconsistent, including meds. Empathy and meeting the patient where he/she is at is always key. Pick based on what you enjoy. Over the longterm we all end up doing the same thing anyway... lol

I agree for depression, but not so in many anxiety disorders.