Advice on Prerequisites for recently admitted MD- need by Aug 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaleidoscope7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I got accepted into an MD program (yay!) to begin August 2016! Unfortunately this school has a few extra requirements but it is my first choice.

Do any of you wonderful people spread out all over the country have advice for me? I'm currently working full time and away from any universities (plus term already began) so I'd like to knock these out in the summer.

Do you know of any university who offers (between May and August): Must be ON CAMPUS (no online)

*A 3 semester credit Biochemistry course
*A 4 semester credit upper division biology course (300-400 level I think, lab or no lab ok)

I am willing to move anywhere for the summer to get these in.

Members don't see this ad.

Could always look at community colleges. Not sure the logistics of you trying to apply to four year universities in January and start classes this summer. Considering how last minute it is, I don't see this boding well for you.

Thanks TallPreMed for the advice and concern. I found a few options actually. Many schools have summer sessions and allow you to take courses as a non-degree seeking student :) As a non-trad I've done this before. If anyone else has ideas I would be happy to have a few back up plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a look at Harvard Summer School. I know for sure they offer a 4-credit biochemistry course over the summer, and I'm 98% sure they have some upper-level biology courses as well. It's a bit pricey, but it's on campus and they offer housing and the quality is excellent.

Reactions: 1 user
You have already been admitted on a conditional bases. Just go to the most convenient/cheapest school for the requirements. I wouldn't want to attend any pricey programs given that you will have enough debt from med school (unless you are well off, getting a full ride etc).

I am a non trad too. Even though I took my pre reqs at a 4 year university, if I was already accepted and the MD program allowed cc credits, I would have taken the advice of @TallPreMed and saved a lot of money.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm definitely open to CC's as well, unfortunately none of the local CC's teach upper level Bio in the summer. I have found another University in state that teaches both. I'd like to get a few backup options to make sure this happens!

There are community colleges everywhere so I would start in your home state or states that have low cost of livings and start there by checking their catalogue.