Advice on Schools to drop/add to my list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IU.guy2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am currently a junior and will be applying to osteopathic medical school this cycle! I am looking for advice of schools to take off my list and to add on. My current stats are as follows:
cGPA: 3.54
sGPA: 3.45
MCAT: I am taking it April 18, however I expect my score to be around 507-512. I have taken multiple TPR practice exams and have scored slightly below this range, but I have heard from many that the TPR tests tend to be more difficult than the actual MCAT. I have taken the AAMC practice exam and scored 510.
Extra Curricular: Member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity for 2.5 years (Philanthropy and Recruitment chairs)
Approximately 1000 CNA clinical hours in an alzheimer's unit
Member of Timmy Global Health for 2 years
Member of a Pre medical association for 2 years
Member of the Kinesiology club (Held Recruitment chair as well)
Volunteer: Approximately 400 volunteer hours, including 160 of those hours tutoring inner city high school students, and 120 of those hours traveling to Tuscaloosa, Alabama to help rebuild homes for the tornado victims. I was also a part of my school's service scholarship program.
LOR: 2 science (Microbiology and Organic chemistry professors. The organic chemistry professor is the undergrad chem department head)
1 non-science (Sociology professor)
M.D. and D.O. letters
Director of Nursing at the nursing home I currently work at.

My school list is:
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
AT Still University (Both Kirksville and Arizona)
Pikeville
Lincoln Memorial
Lake Erie (All schools)
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania campus)
Liberty University
William Carey University
Campbell University

If I could get advice on what schools to take off and what schools to add, that would be greatly appreciated! Please keep in mind I am trying to only apply to schools I have a very good chance at. I am a 21st century scholar recipient, and I do not have much money to spare with chance schools such as Michigan State. Once again, thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to all of them and see what happens. I dont think anyone here knows what that MCAT means, so any advice you get here is just a guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all of them and see what happens. I dont think anyone here knows what that MCAT means, so any advice you get here is just a guess.
Yeah, I have asked the schools how they are going to look at the new MCAT scores, and they honestly have no clue. But thank you for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I am graduating from IU next month (nice to see a fellow Hoosier on SDN!) and I will be attending Des Moines University for med school. I was in a similar situation as you when I applied last summer - I didn't have or want to spend thousands on the application process. So, I did my research, narrowed it down to six schools, and interviewed at four of them. You should go over and browse the Pre-Medical forums instead, not the Medical forums (where you have posted this thread). The Pre-Med DO forum will have a lot more information on schools and the application process - there, you will find the answer to most all of your questions. Anyways, here's my two cents - take it for what it's worth.

I strongly disliked A.T. Still KCOM. I have lived right outside of Indianapolis my entire life, so attending a significantly rural medical school simply would not fit me. If you have a different background or you strongly desire to live and work in a rural community, you may want to consider it. The town simply does not offer much. The facilities are older and the campus is very small. Also, there is a significant proportion of students that are non-traditional - i.e. are married, have children, or are older. This didn't bother me so much as the location did, but it is something to consider coming straight out of undergrad and being surrounded by kids your age. After my interview at KCOM, I immediately canceled my interview at ATSU-SOMA, so I have no comment on that school. However, I did hear that their curriculum is different than most, so check that out before you apply.

Other than these two programs, I did not apply at any of the other schools you have listed. At the end of the day, you need to find a school that fits your personality (this place will become your new home) and provides for your career goals (produces consistent board scores and residency placements). You can find this information if you dig deep enough through SDN and each school's website.

Best of luck in your application. It's an arduous and prolonged process, but the reward is oh so sweet.

Oh wow! I had no idea this was in a medical forum! But thank you for the response! I will definitely take that into consideration!

Obviously, the MCAT will make or break you. Do you have a regional preference?

I can't recommend LUCOM. Swap out for VCOM instead, any or all of the three. I have a high opinion of MUCOM as well.

No not necessarily. I would just like to be accepted in all honesty. However if I am accepted to multiple, I will probably try to stay closer to home.

I have a tip! IF you add VCOM, you only need to pay for one primary, and you get to apply to all three schools on the secondary. I was annoyed that I paid for 2 primaries when I found out I could rank all three campus'.

I actually liked LUCOM when I interviewed, but didn't deposit due to newness. I don't think you need to drop it, but it is definitely worth reading up on (i.e. read this years LUCOM thread, and maybe my Liberty vs. LMU DCOM thread might be useful). That being said if you really get a 510, I believe that is like a 29 on the old test (I have been told 501 is approx = 26). I would be looking at some upper tiers like CCOM, Nova, PCOM, DMU, KCUMB, etc. depending on your regional preference. Also you should read carefully about the state DO schools as some of them have crazy regional bias (TCOM) or some crazy 5 year contract (OUCOM). Also add Marian or Burnell (newish 3 years old, and brand new) if you are looking for those kind of programs.

It seems like you might be a stronger candidate than you are giving yourself credit for. I think you are competitive at many DO schools, but you may not be a perfect fit for a particular one, so spread as broad a net as you can! Maybe check into fee waivers as well. Good luck.

One extra note: WCUCOM seems to have a lot of infighting especially about what seems to be excessive mandatory attendance, I would read up on them too.

Last edited:
KCUMB and PCOM would both be good choices for you!

William Carey tends to accept students from Gulf South (TX, LA, MS, AL, AR, GA, FL) or ones who have ties to that area. There are few people that are not from those states that have gotten accepted, but don't let this shy you away from applying.

I'd drop LUCOM unless you really love it, it's far too new and you have a good number of schools with lower stats already. I would also drop one of the following: KYCOM (Pikeville), WCU-COM, or CUSOM because of their general regional preferences and because you don't need all of them on your list if your goal is just getting into a DO school.

As others have said, I'd probably add KCUMB and DMU. Any interest in the NYC schools? How about Nova? Other than that, I think your list looks fine. Good luck!