This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMed777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to go to UF to finish my undergrad degree, and I was accepted to Nova Southeastern. I was also guarenteed admission at Nova's DO school. I will hold an associate degree after this semester, but I was still eligible to apply because I did it at the same time that I earned my high school diploma. I have scholarships for both schools and would only have to pay around 3,000 a year to go to either. Right now I'm leaning towards Nova because of the program I was accepted to and small class size. Not sure if UF is the better option, as it is better know. Please give me your opinions. Also, are there any long-term implications of where you choose to complete undergrad with regards to which medical schools will accept you?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would go to UF, which is a heavy weight institution and can set you up with more opportunities and resources. But there’s also nothing wrong with being a big fish in a small pond. So if you go to nova, do your best and apply where you can, if it falls flat, then at least you have NOVA in the bag.

In my opinion go Nova all the way. You have a medical school acceptance...I am not sure why this is even a conversation. Take the acceptance and run with it my friend. Medical school is not a fun application process and costs thousands of dollars.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will also recommend Nova. If you excel with your GPA and MCAT you can apply anywhere you want.

How are you as a test taker? If you're a super strong test taker (and a motivated student) I would say go to UF as it will situate you better to apply to top tier MD schools later. However, if you're of more average test taking ability I would go NOVA. If you do good on the MCAT you could still apply out and have a chance at MD schools, but if things did not work out well you'd have the guaranteed acceptance at NOVA to fall back on.

@pmlmu13 I consider myself a good test taker. My SAT was in the 94th percentile (although not indicative of how I would score on the MCAT). Is it worth going to UF and risking no acceptances (I've hear horror stories)? Could you answer to how well-known either Nova or UF is in the medical community (if at all)?

@pmlmu13 I consider myself a good test taker. My SAT was in the 94th percentile (although not indicative of how I would score on the MCAT). Is it worth going to UF and risking no acceptances (I've hear horror stories)? Could you answer to how well-known either Nova or UF is in the medical community (if at all)?

I would say that as long as you keep your GPA, volunteer, take advantage of the research opportunities available at UF, and prepare properly for the MCAT you should be a competitive applicant.

As for reputation, a medical school faculty could answer this better than me, but I would view UF as a very solid allopathic school and Nova as a decent osteopathic school. In general, USMD>>USDO>>US IMG when it comes to match prospects for competitive specialties or competitive programs in less competitive specialties.